Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet cistern slow to refill + loft water tank making noises / empty? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomcorrigan

Hi there

I live in a single-floor maisonette with a loft. In the loft is our water tank. My toilet is taking an exceptionally long time to fill - I move the ball up and down and it doesn't seem to have any real effect on the amount of water coming into the cistern.

My water tank is persistently making the kind of noises it makes after flushing the toilet. It sounds like water is moving - is it filling? (slowly).

The one thing I have changed recently is I have begun using the cold bath tap to connect a hose to. It was on and running for half of yesterday.

Have I drained my tank?

Many thanks for your help.

Hi. You may well have. Over night the main supply performs better (less demand) so you should be back to normal today?

Thanks. We haven't used any water for over half a day now and the cistern still isn't filling. I tried to have a shower just now and ran out of water. Should my tank and toilet be taking so long to fill?

No, is the simple answer. I'd go into the loft and see what the ball valve is doing.

If the tank is full, you probably have a blockage on the cold feed coming out of the tank.

If the tank is empty your ball valve is probably knackered.

Because you have probably never emptied your cistern it could be that the ball valve is stuck so it wont fill or will fill very very slowly, Go to the loft and see if its stuck,try pressing it down

First off - thanks everyone for your messages you've all been very helpful.

I went into the loft. I've never looked inside the tank before and man it's gross. I can't tell if the sides are falling apart or if stuff is growing on them but it's all rough. Not to mention the cobwebs growing around it.

At the top is the ball-valve. Water is trickling from it at a very slow pace. It's no wonder the tank isn't filling at a fast rate. The ball seems functional - if I lift it, it stops for example.

Curiously, coming in above the tank from another side are two pipes and water isn't coming out of either of them.

At the bottom of the tank are various openings that I guess lead to things including the cistern. At only a few inches deep I'm assuming the lack of pressure explains why that is filling up so slowly.

So it looks like I'll be getting a plumber in tomorrow. Unless this seems like an identifiable problem to any of you?

Many thanks again.

Hi,If work on the water main in your area is/has taking place is not unusual for sand etc. to get in the system. Check with water company as they will attend if is there problem. Good Luck

I've spoken with a plumber. He says it sounds like the ball-cock valve needs replacing. He was concerned about the condition of the tank and advises replacing my galvanised steel one with a new plastic one.

How do these quotes sound?

ÂŁ80 just to fit a new ball-cock valve.
ÂŁ320 to install a new water tank (including ball-cock valve one would assume)

My inclination is that if I'm spending ÂŁ80 to fit a bit of plastic in, what's another ÂŁ240? To replace the whole thing - truth be told I'm a little grossed out after seeign the condition of my steel tank and am not looking forward to my next shower knowing that's where the water comes from!

Are these competitive quotes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah id be cheaper than that too, You will defo need a new tank, try not to touch and clean the sides because they can collapse, Ring for a few Quotes, Where are you situated?

I'm in woodford green in essex / NE London. I welcome any quotes from qualified plumbers, thanks. My email address is tomcorrigan AT gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet cistern slow to refill + loft water tank making noises / empty? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to my toilet off is that a correct set up? Because it didn't used to before the stop valve in airing cupboard only turned off the cold water supply to...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I'm wanting to install an electric shower in my new property what's the easiest way to check it bath tap is coming from mains ? The mains stop tap is located near the toilet in the room underneath me, when I switch that off it shuts all cold water off for every tap in the house. If I...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a 22mm hot and cold water supply to new bath. The pipes finish with compression valves. I need a 500 mm tap connector hose to connect with half inch thread on the new bath tap. All the connectors at the main plumb merchants are 22mm x 3/4 inch. No one seems able to answer question...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock