Search the forum,

Discuss Is toilet water same as bathroom taps in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to my toilet off is that a correct set up? Because it didn't used to before the stop valve in airing cupboard only turned off the cold water supply to taps in bathroom.

As you may have read my previous posts, the stop valve in the kitchen now turns off the hot water supply in entire property where as before it only turned off the cold supply in the kitchen sink (this only happened when pipes in the attic were rerouted to cut off water tanks and connect everyone to mains supply). Now I discovered that the cold water feed when turned off also stops the toilet from flushing and cuts the water from it completely.

Is this all normal or am I using toilet water in my taps? Thanks

I haven't studied the history of your posts but it is quite common to have a bath / shower supplied from a cold water tank but to have the toilet and and basin tap in the bath on a direct feed from the mains supply. (The valve in the toilet should be of the correct type (i.e. not a 'Part 1' valve) if it is directly fed.) There are several other possibilities and the only one I really don't like having the basin tap indirectly fed from the cold water store in the roof. This is because people need to clean their teeth and often drink the water from that tap.

The mains water is now feeding everything in your flat.
When tanks are disconnected the old pipework from them is usually just connected to the rising main . This can either be in the loft space or, better practice, lower down in the airing cupboard- but it all depends upon the existing layout.
All the water is now the same , mains water, so it’s drinkable from any cold tap now.

Reply to Is toilet water same as bathroom taps in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock