Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Should the plumbing qualifications need updating? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dontknowitall

To me the whole plumbing and heating area is a total mess.

You don't need any qualifications to go and fix a loo or dripping tap or plumb in a new bathroom or kitchen.

Yet water regulations insist on things like having the cold water supply below the hot water. Water safety seems low on the building regulations priority list.

You can change an vented hot water cylinder without qualifications but not an unvented one. Both are fatally dangerous if installed incorrectly.

You can service an oil boiler without qualifications but not touch gas at all.

For new recruits to the industry the course tutors tell you that C&G is a qualification but then later on you find it's worthless because only an NVQ is respected. As an aside, learning Part P in three days is a joke!

For some, experience does not count because those people may lack recent theoretical qualifications. For others, newly qualified plumbers aren't up to much because they have no experience of ancient plumbing systems and are not taught enough about the various fittings, e.g. shower pumps, pressure relief valves, Y plan systems, etc.

When looking for a plumber the general public looks for a Corgi sign because they think this means the plumber is a better standard. The IPHE logo is not really recognised and is not meaningful for the general public. In addition, anyone is allowed to set up a plumbing body (e.g. The United Kingdom Plumbers Association) with a logo!

If Joe Public knows a plumber who can help him that's great.

But what's the best course of action for the plumbing industry to help the general public know that when they are looking for a plumber they will get a reliable, competent, honest and knowledgeable person?

Hmm!

Its bound to be a bit all over the place. In the States and Australia you have to be licenced to be a Plumber. The thing is, once you issue restricted licenses so the cost of the services go up, and no politician is going to let that happen.
As to safety, yes that is an issue.
As to qualification?
Well just listened to the telly, where the Parliamentary questioner was asking bank bosses about what qualified them for the job they where doing.
Not once did they mention formal qualifications all they did was reel of experiences.

And I suppose that is it really. If you make qualification the only means to become a Plumber. This shuts everybody else out who wants to be a Plumber.

What I would suggest, is that all courses at all levels, where free for anybody wanting to qualify or already working as a gas fitter/central heating engineer or plumber. But must have at least three years practical experience of working in either industry before allowed to practise on their own. Then grade them according to experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
it wont be long before you will have to be licenced to be anything theres to much money to be made running a scheme of this nature
theres more money in training and licensing than in doing the work nowadays

Bernie and Steve - I agree with your points but to me there doesn't seem to be one coherent or authoritative body and qualification structure that covers plumbers. The electricians have one, mechanical engineers do and so on. Perhaps it's because there are so many aspects to "plumbing" (e.g. bathrooms, leadwork, heating, ventilation, etc)

Hi. It must be remembered that for every plumber doing domestic / occupied homes, there are two working on commercial buildings, hospitals, airports and alike. Highly skilled people working to drawings with structured supervision in large companies and happy with there lot.
The domestic market although less complex seems to me like a jungle. A lot of recruits are driven by the money that is talked about whilst in the pub. My personal experience being gained via practical and theoretical training, which in time gone bye made me a plumbing technician. As a result i could diagnose, advise and install. At good rates of pay, however i always gave the client a price for the complete job (no matter how big or small) never working on an hourly rate. Now it seem some people entering the trade feel its their right to charge large hourly rates, without really having a clue about how the plumbing and heating systems work. Spending days to do, what a knowledgeable plumber would complete in an hour. This situation has been noted and discussed by The Institute of Plumbing since its foundation the only way would be to revert back to apprentice, improver, plumber, charge hand, foreman and plumbing manager. The domestic market would not afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Should the plumbing qualifications need updating? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am currently looking for work as a trainee gas service/ repair engineer in the Merseyside area. I am a commercial pipefitter/ heating...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
T
Hello Last night i had a t4ts rep come and see me and i signed up to the course. I see the general attitude on this site is pretty anti-t4ts and...
Replies
Views
Taffytim
T
J
Hi guy, I'm not too sure if this is the right place to put this, but i am 19 years old, I have been driving my own car just over a year and have...
Replies
Views
G
Hi All, I currently work in the IT industry and have had enough! Oh... BTW... IT is not as well paid as you may think! Over the years I have...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock