Search the forum,

Discuss ktichen tap - slow start in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patters_uk

I have a mixer tap in the kitchen and there is a problem in that when I turn on the hot tap (quarter turn valve) there is often up to a 15 second delay before any water comes out. There is no problem with the mains cold and the hot is fed from the cylinder which is upstairs and about 12 feet away although pressure was never brilliant. Pipework downstairs is 22mm feed reducing to 15mm. Hot water is softened. There is a hot feed to the washer from the undersink cupboard but turning that off makes no difference to the delay.

So far I have tried ...
1) A replacement tap (now a Franke mixer) same problem although it didn't do it immediatley.
2) Moving the HW supplied to the 3.5 bar Monsoon pump. Once the water starts and the pump kicks in then it gushes out.

So I am now at a loss .. I'd have thought the overrun on the pump would keep the pressure in the pipe, but it seems not to be the case. the tap can be turned off for just a couple of minutes and when it is turned on again we get the same lag. I can only assume it's a sticky valve but then why has it happened to 2 different taps. Plumber is also confused as to what it might be.

Any advice/observations appreciated

Denis

You have bought the wrong taps. High pressure when you should have bought low.

The pressure disappears as soon as the pump stops because the system is open to the atmosphere.

If you had gotten a decent plumber to begin with he would have known this.

Taps are low pressure monoblock .. Franke Eiger C. Work on 0.39 bar minimum 5 bar max. Also problem was there with or without pump, though has seemingly got worse with pump. True enough it's an open system with the cold water tank in the loft but I don't quite understand why the pressure would drop downstairs unless there was air getting into the system, bu there are no leaks that I am aware of.

0.39 bar equates to about 4m head of water. Not exactly low pressure. If your house is a bungalow you are below that. Even a 2 storie will be borderline with pressure losses through pipe.

The hot pipe, through the cylinder is connected to an open vent and also a feed pipe from the cold cistern. Either one will mean the pipe cannot remain pressurised once the pump stops.

thanks tamz. It is a 2 story house with tank in loft with a fairly direct route to the kitchen tap. Should've tried timing filling a bucket before I had it pumped. Is there any easy way of measuring "ambient" pressure in the pipe. Is it possible to fit a non-return valve betwen the pump and the tap to "retain" the pressure

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get pressure and flow mixed up. Filling a bucket and timing it would only give an indication of flow rate, not pressure. To test the pressure you need a pressure guage or in the case of cistern fed, measure it from the cistern outlet to the discharge point. (that is about all you really need to know without complicating matters)

Your tap requires a static (standing) pressure of 0.39 bar to act upon it to allow it to open. As the tap will open eventually, it must be near this or would not open at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ktichen tap - slow start in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
I have just replaced the old bathroom basin mono mixer taps, 2 tap heads, standard compression valve type, to a modern mono mixer single lever type. For some reason the hot water running on the new single lever mono mixer tap is slow flowing compared to the old ones. The cold water running...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock