Search the forum,

Discuss Loss of Hot Water Pressure to Shower in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Looking for any ideas to help.

I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine).

A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of the hot water taps have good pressure. I've checked the pressure from a hot water feed and it is sitting at 3 bar so I don't think its the pressure reducing valve.

The shower is a recessed shower/bath mixer, so I've taken the thermostatic mixer out its in good order. When I isolated the hot water intake its a very poor flow into the mixer.

I've tried all the usual ways of getting rid of an air lock such as cutting the mains flow and opening all taps and then bringing them all back gradually, blocking the end of the mixer and forcing the cold back up it and even tried plunging water back along the hot feed to the shower but nothing has improved the flow.

Getting frustrated now as the shower used to have great pressure.

Without pulling all the tiles off the wall to check the piping, can anyone offer any other solutions that I could try?

Shouldn’t be an airlock as mains pressure at 3 bar will easily blast out any air.
Check valves in shower valve or built in filters perhaps faulty or blocked with debris? Hot water pipework filters particularly likely to have blockages

Just reread your post and I see you said you checked feed to shower and it was poor flow. Maybe a valve in-line to shower valve somewhere and blocked?

Looking for any ideas to help.

I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine).

A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of the hot water taps have good pressure. I've checked the pressure from a hot water feed and it is sitting at 3 bar so I don't think its the pressure reducing valve.

The shower is a recessed shower/bath mixer, so I've taken the thermostatic mixer out its in good order. When I isolated the hot water intake its a very poor flow into the mixer.

I've tried all the usual ways of getting rid of an air lock such as cutting the mains flow and opening all taps and then bringing them all back gradually, blocking the end of the mixer and forcing the cold back up it and even tried plunging water back along the hot feed to the shower but nothing has improved the flow.

Getting frustrated now as the shower used to have great pressure.

Without pulling all the tiles off the wall to check the piping, can anyone offer any other solutions that I could try?
Its strange that the problem started when you reset the air gap, maybe worth re doing it even though it shouldn't be the problem as you are getting 3 bar at a hot tap, can/have you checked this pressure with another hot tap opened somewhere?

Its strange that the problem started when you reset the air gap, maybe worth re doing it even though it shouldn't be the problem as you are getting 3 bar at a hot tap, can/have you checked this pressure with another hot tap opened somewhere?
I've just done the process again and no improvement.

I've also checked the pressure and still at 3 bar, it reduces a little when I turn on the bathroom sink hot tap, but when I run the bath or shower there's no change to the pressure.

I've just done the process again and no improvement.

I've also checked the pressure and still at 3 bar, it reduces a little when I turn on the bathroom sink hot tap, but when I run the bath or shower there's no change to the pressure.
I take it that the bathroom sink hot tap flow is OK?.
Where are the hot bath and shower hot teed into the hot supply in relation to the sink hot tap T.
Is the bath cold tap flow OK and are the bath hot&cold taps separate taps.

Hope not, but is it possible that the baffle is breaking up and when you drained down the cylinder to the bottom of the dip tube that bits of it havn't caused a blockage to the bath/shower.

1710867586626.png

Last edited:
I take it that the bathroom sink hot tap flow is OK?.
Where are the hot bath and shower hot teed into the hot supply in relation to the sink hot tap T.
Is the bath cold tap flow OK and are the bath hot&cold taps separate taps.

Hope not, but is it possible that the baffle is breaking up and when you drained down the cylinder to the bottom of the dip tube that bits of it havn't caused a blockage to the bath/shower.

View attachment 93934

Reply to Loss of Hot Water Pressure to Shower in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock