Discuss Finding the leak.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

traineedrip

went out today to an apparent leaking toilet. the loo is fine but somthings leaking. theres a tap in the floor which cuts the loo supply and you can hear a hiss from this area. turning the tap makes little difference to the noise. water is definately running.

Nothings running in the loft or anywhere obvious. Given that the only area it can be heard is this bathroom floor stop tap is that where youd start digging into the floor? Theres going to be a fair bit of damage to the flooring if i lift it.
Its also puzzeling that theres no obvious stop tap in the road. every house but hers has a meter in the pavement ... although interestingly the one that looks like it firmly belongs to next door, the tiny wheel is steadierly rotating..

As i can hear the water flowing in the house, albeit next to an exterior wall , is it safe to assume its internal? Is it possible they have a leak in the ground outside?

I dont want to bite off more than i can chew. It doesnt sound like the stop tap directly but its the only area you can hear it.

try turning off the stopcock in the road to see if the leak stops hissing/meter turning then if that is the case you need to investigate further, time to bite the bullet and be a plumber, you wont learn if you dont and if you unsure dont know, get a job with someone else to learn or think of a different career old son

:) Fair play. Just better to come on here and check before damaging a floor.
Ive turned the job down but sitting here now feel stupid for not trying. I`ll give it a go, i reckon it cant be miles from the sound sorce, just wish i had a damp patch to go with.
Fingers crossed i wont be digging over a garden for the next week!

Last edited by a moderator:
are you sure the torbeck isnt passing slightly?. you need to start with the obviouses first.

Yes try turning the stopcock off as oldplumber suggests.

If the supply pipe goes to the house under a garden, try getting a metal bin lid or similar, put it on the ground and listen. It should amplify the sound. You can also use a steel rod pushing it into the ground until it comes out wet.

The problem is, listening to the noise on a stop tap, it is not always so easy to pinpoint a burst, the sound travels.

It can be a very labour intensive job finding an underground burst. You never know where the burst might be. In clay soils the water can run all over the place. But easiest and perhaps most obvious thing to do is start investigating where you can hear the noise the loudest.

Good fortune

Yes try turning the stopcock off as oldplumber suggests.

If the supply pipe goes to the house under a garden, try getting a metal bin lid or similar, put it on the ground and listen. It should amplify the sound. You can also use a steel rod pushing it into the ground until it comes out wet.

The problem is, listening to the noise on a stop tap, it is not always so easy to pinpoint a burst, the sound travels.

It can be a very labour intensive job finding an underground burst. You never know where the burst might be. In clay soils the water can run all over the place. But easiest and perhaps most obvious thing to do is start investigating where you can hear the noise the loudest.

Good fortune
hiho tonto, i hear 3 men one horse and a dog 1 mile away......

I will recheck the house for any passing valves before going any further. Its tricky as the lady kept explaining as i tried to listen lol.
I like the tonto plan! did check the external walls and the garden looks the usual ... no obvious green bit but its only been a week. I will try the dustbin lid.

Fingers crossed its going to be kind to me.

and you can also hear the sea when you put a snail shell next to your ear, make sure hes moved house first though. Dont forget to wear large floppy shoes, a spotty romper suit and a red nose when your trotting around the garder with your dusbin lid. I bet the doors fall off your van!!

i would have to walk away before i start listening to a metal bin lid it may well work but i would feel too much of a turnip

how do you recognise a plumber from distance????????????????????????

he's the one wearing dustbin lid ear rings.lol
left one only if he's gay, both if he's totally lost it.

Ring the water board they don't like loosing water, ask if an inspector can come and help pinpoint the leak. Had one last week and inspector very helpful. lots of listening equipment on his van

i went to a leak today on a rented house in cambs the bloke was complaining of low pressure in his shower and you could see the water round the out side walls was a down stairs bathroom turned out to be a pipe where someone had nailed through when laying a floor.... when i ask the bloke if he heard the sound of running water he said no one had done any work in the year hed lived their and he thort it was surpose to sound like that, that he thort it was just the toilet refilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Finding the leak.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I posted a few weeks ago asking for advice about my ideal standard concealed dual flush plate toilet which was leaking slowly into the...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all, new here, just after a little advice. I have recently taken on this ground floor flat, which was built I believe in the 1960s and has not...
Replies
Views
crippled
C
B
Hi All, I would really appreciate some help/advise with aboiler problem I am having. I have a valiant eco tec combi boiler and have noticed...
Replies
Views
brooklyn07
B
T
Hi, I've been at an old relative's house (who's not very well, and not been maintaining the house) doing a major cleanout How Clean is Your House...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock