Discuss Advice on leaking toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I posted a few weeks ago asking for advice about my ideal standard concealed dual flush plate toilet which was leaking slowly into the toilet pan.

The slow leak has speeded up and is now more like a tap being on.

The problem is we're due to go away for a few days and I'm wondering if this is safe to leave or could we end up with a flood while we're away?

I've been trying to get a plumber in the Edinburgh area. It seems they never return calls/don't answer/only do contract work etc etc!

Problem is there's not much I can do now before our short break. Should I turn off the water supply before we go away perhaps?

I always turn the water off when going away, Once went to Stirling and came back to a carpet swimming in water at 3am, didn`t actually realise until the next morning I was so tired -duh!

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Try here when you get back.

As above I always turn off my stopcock before going away. Turning it off, assuming your house is all mains fed will leave you worry free whilst you are away

As above I always turn off my stopcock before going away. Turning it off, assuming your house is all mains fed will leave you worry free whilst you are away

And you will know that it can be turned before you really really need it.

And you will know that it can be turned before you really really need it.

The amount of jobs I go to and ask where the stopcock is and I get 'don't know' or 'it's leaking' or 'it doesn't work' is just daft.

Thanks. But given that the leak seems to have speeded up, does this mean the valve (or whatever) could give way at any point and start to flood? I wouldn't necessarily have to be away for that to happen! What action should I take until I can find a plumber?

If the valve is faulty and the water is entering the pan you're fine. If you think about when you flush the toilet the amount of water that is released runs through the toilet ok and doesn't flood so you could leave a toilet constantly running. It's not best practice and a waste of perfectly good water though. Switch off the supply to the toilet, does it have a local isolation?

If your stopcock is seized you can turn off supply at the meter if you have one.

Many thanks. It does have local isolation through a 6 inch panel in the wall (it's very difficult to even see!). I turned it and it stemmed the flow though I suppose it will take a few minutes to stop completely. When I go away tomorrow, I think I'll just turn off the whole water supply to the flat until such times as I can find a plumber in Edinburgh which is proving a bit like finding a needle in a haystack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on leaking toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled...
Replies
Views
Hi there I fitted a Sanicompact 43 about10 years ago. A few years ago i noticed that it would intermittently activate in the middle of the...
Replies
Views
We have recently had water hammer issues. Plumbers have installed an arrestor near our kitchen sink and a device in the toilet cistern to slow...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock