Discuss Yellow pages, £300 well spent or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Connor Williams

Hello guys, I work as a plumber in London and have been considering advertising in the yellow pages, obviously its quite a lot of money but has anyone put an advert in for the year and did it bring much work?
Any infor would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

All the best,
Connor

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys, I work as a plumber in London and have been considering advertising in the yellow pages, obviously its quite a lot of money but has anyone put an advert in for the year and did it bring much work?
Any infor would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

All the best,
Connor
when was the last time you used the yellow pages?.

Mate of mine got a £300 ad in yellow pages and got no work what so ever , I got a £300 job from it and all I have is a free line....oh wow we ( I ) laughed ;)

Hi. I can only echo that which has already been written. They were by far the best but alas, not any more. Good Luck

In my opinion, when using the yellow pages now I just flick through the listings and not the advert boxes (I think today we mostly assume the posher/bigger the ad, the bigger the bill), especially when calling for quotes and arranging estimates, plus the areas are much easy to see in this format.

Regards Jason

£300 to advertise in well targetted places is £300 better spend than an ad amongst hundreds of other ads for plumbers in the Yellow Pages.

£1,500 last year 5 enquiries, all for quotes and got none... sorry a £60 job out of it.

yellow pages waste of time/money,as is yell.com.
best advert producing work local church mag

As said do not even think about yellow pages,especially London,have you looked in one,the only people who do are the advertisers to look at their own ad,then there are so many to cover london,then you have Thompson Locals,stick to your free line and buy lottery tickets with the £300,got more chance of winning that,than getting your money back from the YP
If fact when they deliver them and leave on doorsteps you see them still there two months later or visit the tip a few weeks after delivery,its full of them

Thanks guys, yes you confirmed what I thought in the first place, yellow pages is dying a slow death

yellow pages all you get is other people wanting to sell you addvertising and black bags

just signed up with yell.com for £30 a month ..guess i am wasting my money :mad:
I recently signed up for a second year on Yell, I got more back from it than I put in but would go very hungry if I relied on it for all my work!

I recently signed up for a second year on Yell, I got more back from it than I put in but would go very hungry if I relied on it for all my work!

just had a phone call to quote for a new boiler and it came from the yell.com advert ..
if i get that job it will have paid for itself :)

mate we advertise on yell.com

important thing is to have a decent website and a freephone number..... link from yell and you'll get more calls.

thing is when we go to a job that has phoned off yell we very rarely get the job unless we go in cheap!!! depends how busy we are if we've got a free week coming up we'll knock a hundred or 2 off a decent sized job to get the week booked up.

usually find your qouting against 5 or 6 other qoutes!

mate we advertise on yell.com

important thing is to have a decent website and a freephone number..... link from yell and you'll get more calls.

thing is when we go to a job that has phoned off yell we very rarely get the job unless we go in cheap!!! depends how busy we are if we've got a free week coming up we'll knock a hundred or 2 off a decent sized job to get the week booked up.

usually find your qouting against 5 or 6 other qoutes!

only time will tell on this one ..i quoted it anyway and it was only 2 mins from my house so if i dont get it well it doesnt matter.

Get yourself a simple cheap one page website. Then register with Google. Nearly all of my work comes from Google.

I have kept a £500 advert in the yellow pages for the last couple of years.

Have I got work from it? Yes

Has it payed for itself each year? Yes

Have I made loads £££'s from it? No

Has it generated loads of new customers who will want future work doing? Yes

Will I keep the advert going? Yes

Probably gonna echo what most of the other guys have said,
Spent £440 on yell.com last year 2 calls, no work
when they wanted us to renew lat month I told em to get ...., they didnt even argue, even they know it dont work.

Most of our works comes from our website, costs us 25 quid a year to run, best money ever spent :)

Think the web works good though if you are in a big city like myself then there is a lot of competition , got to have your fingers in many pies

Internet the only place to go if you must. The best advertising is your work and word of mouth follows.

so i have heard Yell.com have now changed the way their website works, If they have 200 plumbers in machester area then all of them get the same amounts of hits, I was speaking to an agent of theirs the other night and he claimed that last month all of the plumbers advertised in the rochdale area all recieved 493 hits each, He said that the top place rotates so the same person is never at the top, Once they have recieved 5 hits it changes to the next on the list,

this does sound like a good system although everytime i seasrch yell.com it seems to be the same person at the top....so who knows

he claimed that last month all of the plumbers advertised in the rochdale area all recieved 493 hits each,

Before we left yell.com we were apparently getting between 300-400 hits a month, every month for our area. so thats around 4500 hits we received in a year. only 2 calls and no work
some one is telling pork pies me thinks :rolleyes:
yell say anything to get your hard earned cash off you.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't be bothering with the Yellow Pages at all next year. For the same money I can have an ad in every week's edition of our local paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Yellow pages, £300 well spent or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hello all, I am a self employed Plumber working in London and am looking at the best ways to advertise. I know word of mouth is the best way...
Replies
Views
gravytrain
G
C
Hello all, I am considering joining Trust a Trader as a plumber and the price is £495 per year, even more than Yellow Pages. Now the guy I...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
P
Just checked the trusted tradesmen site and the plumbing and heating sections are now working,placing a listing is free and adds another string to...
Replies
Views
Andrewlo
A
M
Hello everyone, I'm a self employed sparky currently doing the train 4 trade skills course and as such I have been bringing in small amounts of...
Replies
Views
T
N
Hi all I only found this forum today and find it really helpful. I recently passed my NVQ level 1 Heating and ventilation course and am finding...
Replies
Views
moony
M
Back