Search the forum,

Discuss Range Powermax 155x - suitable shower? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattWeth

I've got a job to fit a new mixer shower for my sister in law. It's a new installation over a bath (no existing shower) so I'll be teeing off the hot and cold feeds to the bath taps.

However, she's got a really odd boiler - a Range Powermax 155x. These aren't something I've come across before but from what I understand, they're some sort of combined boiler / thermal store? There's an F&E tank above it in the loft but no cold water storage and a pump runs when there's a hot water demand - I believe this is circulating store water through a plate heat exchanger and that you should get good, mains pressure hot water.

However, subjectively hot water flow and pressure doesn't feel as good as the cold so I'm inclined to fit a thermostatic bar mixer designed for low pressures. But the hot and cold don't feel to be balanced so am I on the right track here?

Any advice gratefully received.

PS - From what I read, I know the usual advice is to throw the boiler in the nearest skip but unfortunately she can't afford to change it

They are a direct fired thermal store. Pressures should be roughly the same unless a PRV has been fitted on the feed to the store. I'd go for a thermostatic mixer designed for high pressure and fit flow restrictors to the hot and cold to even out the flow rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Range Powermax 155x - suitable shower? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Hello! Im Martyn Im new here and have joined for some advice on a couple of things. Ive got an issue with a Mira mixer shower that has...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated...
Replies
Views
How a thermal store boiler works! I’ve got an old thermal store boiler and I’m trying to work out how it works. From what I understand the boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock