Search the forum,

Discuss How thermal store boiler works? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

How a thermal store boiler works!
I’ve got an old thermal store boiler and I’m trying to work out how it works. From what I understand the boiler keeps hot water at a steady temperature in the boiler whilst cold water enters into a coil which is held inside the hot water and this heats the cold water up so that it comes out hot. is this correct? Does this heated cold water feed into the central heating system to the radiators et cetera?

There are various ways this could be arranged - I'm assuming you are asking about an electric only system, not a gas boiler?
Taking an example I used to have:
The thermal store (ie cylinder) was heated by multiple immersion heaters from off-peak electricity, topped up by switching on if necessary during the day.
The bulk of water in the tank was pumped around the heating system, controlled by timer, thermostat, valves.
There was a heat exchanger inside the cylinder, positioned near the top, and water for the hot taps entered the bottom of that heat exchanger (eg coil) and exited at the top to the tap circuit. So it was like a combi gas boiler, heating water on demand From the retained heat in the cylinder.
The water you ran from the hot tap was not held in the tank, it was from the mains heated as required.

These days it's more usual to heat the cylinder by a coil fed from a gas or oil boiler, or solar, or heat pump, with an immersion heater for backup.

many thanks, I should have said I have a gas boiler connected to my thermal store. I'm trying to get my old head around which part feeds the rads and which part feeds the taps. I have an evohome setup 'controlling' the entire system. I'm not sure if the individual rad thermostats trigger the boiler or whether the boiler needs ot be kept on and te individual valaves then trigger the pupm? Sorry if this sounds confused, but I am! (<:
:

many thanks, I should have said I have a gas boiler connected to my thermal store. I'm trying to get my old head around which part feeds the rads and which part feeds the taps. I have an evohome setup 'controlling' the entire system. I'm not sure if the individual rad thermostats trigger the boiler or whether the boiler needs ot be kept on and te individual valaves then trigger the pupm? Sorry if this sounds confused, but I am! (<:
:
Sorry I made the wrong assumption!
The gas boiler is most likely plumbed to the coil in your cylinder, and also to the heating circuit(s), by one or two motorised valves. The water in your cylinder is probably the water that is fed to the hot taps.
Evohome either gets temperature info from each radiator valve head, or thermostats in the room(s), depending how it was set up. Whenever a thermostat detects room temp lower than set point I would expect it to energise the boiler, and the boiler will typically manage the pump (for example there might be pump over-run so the pump runs for a bit to remove residual heat after the boiler stops running).
Evohome 'learns' the heating and cooling characteristics for each thermostat, and is supposed to manage the steady state boiler switching to avoid overshoot or undershoot of temperature. Well it worked well for my last house!

There's an Evohome forum, also the Resideo website which sells all the Honeywell kit and can provide technical support.

Last edited:

Reply to How thermal store boiler works? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock