Discuss First post and question about cost of having a new boiler fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimbobsfingers

Hi, would really appreciate your advice on the following:

Currently getting quotes from local fitters regarding having our 15 year old Vaillant combi boiler replaced with something more effecient. Have already applied for and got back a scrappage scheme voucher, the Vaillant came out as x rated.

Quotes so far are around the £2300-£2400 mark(That's for a Potteron 'Gold' 33kw HE Combi) Does this sound about right, and do you think the Potterton is a good choice? (it comes with a 3 year parts and labour warranty) The current boiler is situated in our loft which is safely boarded out.

many thanks.

... 15 year old Vaillant combi boiler ... came out as x rated.
Can you tell me the exact model number? I'm interested in what the assumed efficiency is rather than just X rated.

Quotes so far are around the £2300-£2400 mark(That's for a Potteron 'Gold' 33kw HE Combi)
If it's a straight swap with the boiler in the same location and just minor pipe alterations to be done, that sound a high price for the job. The Potterton Gold HE 33 can be picked up for about £1000-1100, so £1200-1400 for installation is excessive. It should not take more than two days.

Thanks for your reply. The Vaillant is a VCW GB 240H, British Gas came out to quote for fitting a new boiler so they did the SEDBUK efficiency rating and it came out as X (65%) Their quote was for the ridiculous sum of £4800!!!! plus they told me that the gas feed pipe into the existing boiler was only 15mm and that any new boiler fitted would need a 22mm feed (The funny thing is that there is a 22mm feed going to the existing boiler already, why would BG tell me porkies and charge for fitting new 22mm pipe!?!)

Anyway when I first started to get quotes £2300 sounded a lot better than £4800 but when you take off the cost of the boiler and thermostat etc it's still going to be 1200ish for a days labour. If thats the going rate for gas engineers then so be it but it seems a lot to me.

The Vaillant is a VCW GB 240H, British Gas came out to quote for fitting a new boiler so they did the SEDBUK efficiency rating and it came out as X (65%)
OK. Some X rated boilers (X means estimated) have estimated efficiencies of over 70%. As the scrappage scheme specifies Band G boilers (below 70%), I was curious to know if it had been extended to cover all X rated boilers. It appears not. Oh well, I'll have to live with my 72% efficient boiler for a bit longer.

You say your boiler already has 22mm gas pipe. I assume that's not just the last few inches into the boiler, i.e it's 22mm for a far as you can see before it disappears into the wall etc.

Anyway when I first started to get quotes £2300 sounded a lot better than £4800
British Gas is always way over the top.

PS I have read that the Potterton Gold is no longer available. Might be worth checking this out. A reputable boiler to consider is the Broag-Remeha Avanta.

Hi, would really appreciate your advice on the following:

Currently getting quotes from local fitters regarding having our 15 year old Vaillant combi boiler replaced with something more effecient. Have already applied for and got back a scrappage scheme voucher, the Vaillant came out as x rated.

Quotes so far are around the £2300-£2400 mark(That's for a Potteron 'Gold' 33kw HE Combi) Does this sound about right, and do you think the Potterton is a good choice? (it comes with a 3 year parts and labour warranty) The current boiler is situated in our loft which is safely boarded out.

many thanks.
sounds like a reasonable quote to me i assume this includes a powerflush of your system
getting the condense away from a loft install can be a tricky job
it not just the cost of the boiler there will be other stuff involved 50 quids worth of chemicals and inhibitors for a start ,some pipework and fittings
the flushing machine if they are hiring
is the flue vertical? if yes then they need roof ladders and normal ladders to get up even if its through the gable still need ladders which may need hiring
then theres all the normal exes of running a buisness like insurance advertising and a van to run it all adds up

fair price 2300/2400,but go for a vaillaint 831.as said price includes everything,overheads etc

depends on a lot of things installs in the attic are always more expensive. you may need 28mm gas pipe so far depending on how far the boiler is from the meter.

i think 2300 is a fair price.

good boiler,sure there should be someone local on here who can fit it also look at baxi platinum,or duotec[the same boiler] but platinum is expensive with 5 year guarantee or if you want cheaper potterton performa 30 he my opinion its a better combi

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to First post and question about cost of having a new boiler fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks anyone for reading Looking for peoples views of best setup, location and any points to consider that I don’t mention please 2000 built...
Replies
Views
So me and my partner bought our first house in May. The previous owners skimped out on every part of the house possible, bodge jobs galore. We...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and would welcome some views on a quote I just had from a large nationwide supplier. Current system is in...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, Sorry for the long post, but I think detailed information will help you in providing maximum input! I live in a 3 bedroom end terraced...
Replies
Views
Associate
A
B
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but really after some advice with regards to the following We recently smelt gas in our boiler cupboard...
Replies
Views
T
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock