Discuss Replacement Home Boiler Required - Combi or Conventional (System)? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Associate

Hi,

Sorry for the long post, but I think detailed information will help you in providing maximum input!

I live in a 3 bedroom end terraced house, which has a low pressure, gravity fed water system, whereby the water tanks are in the loft on the top floor, and the bathroom is on the same floor (top) as well. The house is 30 years old.

A few years ago, up in the loft, an Expansion Vessel was installed by British Gas (I think a tank may have been removed as a result, but you guys will know more about this than me! We had this done through British Gas' Home Care cover), and a Pressure Gauge was fitted in the Airing Cupboard where the hot water cylinder is. This did ensure that the boiler broke down less often.

The current boiler we have is a Micron Glow-Worm 50FF, which we've had for at least 10 years (Expansion Vessel was installed when we had this Boiler). The boiler has been ok, but in recent months when it is turned on, it does make bit more of a noise than normal (you know the sort of noise that indicates that is working away heating up the water). It seems to be working fine generally though, and I don't have any immediate concerns about it. Although, we have been thinking about having it replaced anyway if we could afford it, with a better quality boiler, and been having the feeling that this boiler may reach the end of it's shelf life in the next few years.

The Boiler when turned on, heats up the water and the gas radiators at the same time (so both connected to this Boiler. Sorry if I am stating the obvious!). There are 7 radiators in the house in total.

As part of the Govt's Affordable Warmth Scheme, where qualifying people in certain circumstances are entitled to have a new boiler installed free of charge, my mum is entitled to a new boiler as a result.

We made an application with Npower, and when their Energy Efficiency Assessor visited the property recently, after a thorough inspection, when we specifically discussed a new boiler, he said that it's best to replace this boiler with a new one, which will be more economical, and he would be recommending a Combi Condensing Boiler, but even if it is a conventional Boiler, it would definitely be a Condensing one. This is something we can discuss in greater detail with Npower's Technical Engineer at a future visit (as this guy isn't an expert in this area).

There are 3 adults that live in this house and normally use the hot water facility and shower (and radiators during winter) - me, my mum and my brother. Every few weeks my other 2 siblings and their partners will visit and may stay over for a few days.

At the moment, there is only one bathroom in the property (with toilet) that has a shower mixer. There is also a ground floor toilet too. In the future, we are thinking about installing an enclosed/suitable shower in the toilet, as there is sufficient space to do so.

There is no Immersion Heater at the moment in the house connected to the Cylinder. Never got round to it, although have been thinking about getting one installed!The green Cylinder is at least 15 years old, and it says "Albion Supalag Green" on it, and was installed by the council before we became homeowners.

Taking all the above into account, if given the option by Npower (or whichever company we end up having a the boiler replaced by), should we choose a Combi Boiler or a Conventional Boiler for our needs and best fit for this property please?

Thank you :smile5:

Last edited by a moderator:
Boiler & Hot water cylinder (Taking into account that other people stay in the house) always look at worse case and maximum water usage, Make sure that they replace the cylinder at the same time as the one you have will not meet the new standards, if you decide on a combi go for one that offers the best water delivery ,Look at Lts per Min, but you need to make sure that you have sufficient water flow coming into the house.

Last edited:
If you are really planning to add the second shower room, and you want to use them both at the same time, keep with a conventional boiler and separate cylinder.

If you don't mind the fact that you could only use one shower at as time, it may be ok to go with the combi, particularly if you need the space that would be freed up by not having the cylinder and storage tank.

how many bathrooms do you have?

At the moment, there is only one bathroom in the property (with toilet) that has a shower mixer. There is also a ground floor toilet too. In the future, we are thinking about installing an enclosed/suitable shower in the toilet, as there is sufficient space to do so.

So one at the moment, but an ambition for a shower room in the future.

They do say one bathroom with the possibility of adding a second shower in downstairs' WC. sometimes up to 5 people staying in house. People should be given a proper choice instead of just throwing in a combi, they are not always the best option.

my bad, should have read post fully, as said, check pressure, flow rate and let your installer make an informed decision, either could work dependent on a few factors

Thank you to everyone for your helpful input so far. As well as making note of all the above and finding out the information that have been suggested, I'll take on board what their Technical Engineer has to say, and then weigh it all up.

From what I gather, the make of Boilers they install varies, and I will obviously have a better idea once I speak to the Technical Engineer. I think they do install intermediate level to high quality boilers, for example, Vaillant Boilers. I don't think they install low end or "budget level" Boilers.

I was wondering though, if I opt for a conventional boiler (boiler & cylinder), are there certain boiler makes/brands you can mention for me to keep an eye out for that they "may" supply, that I should push for them to install because of their renowned and proven quality, especially as my mum is elderly and disabled and it would help for something to run smoothly and trouble free (I presume Vaillant may be one of them)?

Likewise, are there certain boiler makes/brands that they "may" offer that I should keep an eye out for, that are known for being problematic and unreliable, so that I can reject them?

Same 2 questions in relation to Combi Boiler as well please.

Thank you :)

You will find most modern Boilers are quite reliable , as with anything with moving parts it will go wrong at some time, as for our recommendations ! we all have boilers we like and dislike, due to past experience's so you will get countless suggestion's ! and they may not offer all makes of boiler we recommend , Conventional boiler has less internal parts but has got other moving parts on the system, they may advise on a sealed system, same as conventional but pump is in the boiler and system is pressurised, ask about warranty's as the length varies from boiler to boiler , all will cover heating system, but you need to look into your water usage in peak times smaller size combi may not be suitable, and if you have a poor mains water supply don't have a combi

If the boiler is on a scheme, the vendor, n power should ensure that the appliance works for the life time of the grant / payback period. U may have to pay to keep it serviced. Ask what your on going maintenance cost would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement Home Boiler Required - Combi or Conventional (System)? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock