Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss cracked cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Poynton Plumber

i have a cistern that has developed a hairline crack right down the back.
the water is seeping out, at the rate of about 10 drips a day!!
i want to have a go at sealing the crack before doing the obvious and replacing it.

any suggestions as to what i could use?
my first thoughts were silicone or a flexible/waterproof epoxy glue

ct1 silicone, google it.

also check it out on youtube, it will certainly do the job until you replace it, wich really should be sooner rather than later:)

thanks for that andyg0507.

yes i'm coming round to the fact that it will have to be replaced.

Don't leave it. It might suddenly go in the middle of the night!

turn off the service valve to your wc and replace it, the ÂŁ2000 damage it will do when it breaks and floods you out isnt worth the wait

i have been running an experiment on my cistern for the last 8 years or so, old victorian one.
it has a 10'' crack to the front of it with a smear of silicon inside and out, it is also boxed in so not seen but still no leaks. i will let you know when it fails for research purposes.

i have isolated the cistern and emptied it.
also advised the customer that replacement is the best thing

thanks for all your advice

heres me thinking you were asking for yourself as a diyer lol
, yeah always replace when it comes to things like this - not worth the eventual claim against you as you were the last to try and fix it.

new cistern on it's way today.
suprisingly the supplier has agreed to replace it FOC.
was fitted only 9 months ago, but unusual for supplier to replace.

The supplier has done it for goodwill. In any case they will just send it back to the manufacturer and be credited for it so no loss to them.

i have been running an experiment on my cistern for the last 8 years or so, old victorian one.
it has a 10'' crack to the front of it with a smear of silicon inside and out, it is also boxed in so not seen but still no leaks. i will let you know when it fails for research purposes.

whats the cistern made from?
ive just repaired a broken cast iron cistern with some jb weld. ive heard good things about it but i have yet to test the cistern.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will probably fail eventually due to a process whereby moisture will enter the crack and form rust which stresses the crack and causes it to grow.

the crack i repaired was on the lid of an old shanks 2 gallon high level cistern that i restored, not the end of the world if it fails.
i probably still would have used marine jb weld if it were on the tank side but really an engineering firm running a line of weld down the inside of the tank along the crack, in my view would be the best way to repair it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cracked cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
I'm trying to change a dripping cartridge in a Franke Panto tap. I have a new cartridge and after a fight involving a decent hammer I've managed...
Replies
Views
Pauline Wilkinson
P
Go on then I'll post in the proper sub forum I suppose.......... Fitted a bathroom suite a few weeks ago and I'm going back to do some other jobs...
Replies
Views
E
I took out a comfortable well crafted 45 year old toilet and have replaced it with a crappy new one. (WOMEN !!) Toilet and cistern coupled...
Replies
Views
L
I have just fitted a new close coupled w.c. I followed the instructions when it came to fitting the cistern to the bowl, e.g i noted the order in...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock