Search the forum,

Discuss cold water tank overflowing with lukewarm water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kikii

Good afternoon

This is my first email to your forum. I don't know anything about central heating so please use simple words. Thanks for the forum. I've been having a problem with my overflow tank for sometime now. It started when we had one of our hot water taps changed (pillar tap). Since then water has flowed continuously from the overhead tank. The ball valve has just been changed, pump, thermostat also changed but problem stll remains.
We do get central heating but water never really gets hot. We leave the cold water tap in the bathroom open and this stops the overflow. The water from the cold water tap is also lukewarm.

The pipe leading to the hotwater tank on top of the tank is always ice cold. It never used to be like that. Used to warm up when the hot water was turned on. All other pipes leading to/from hot water tank which are supposed to be hot are very hot. We've had 5 british gas engineers come over who've done the above jobs and have recommended power flush.

We've had a plumber sent from british gas also come over because they thought it was plumbing issue but the plumber reckoned it was the thermostat which needed changing and/or pump which have both been changed. The plumber said the powerflush is to do with the radiators and if those are working then that is not the issue. Can you please help as we're very confused with what's going on.

This is the large cold water tank.

Many thanks. Kikii

Good afternoon

This is my first email to your forum. I don't know anything about central heating so please use simple words. Thanks for the forum. I've been having a problem with my overflow tank for sometime now. It started when we had one of our hot water taps changed (pillar tap). Since then water has flowed continuously from the overhead tank. The ball valve has just been changed, pump, thermostat also changed but problem stll remains.
We do get central heating but water never really gets hot. We leave the cold water tap in the bathroom open and this stops the overflow. The water from the cold water tap is also lukewarm.

The pipe leading to the hotwater tank on top of the tank is always ice cold. It never used to be like that. Used to warm up when the hot water was turned on. All other pipes leading to/from hot water tank which are supposed to be hot are very hot. We've had 5 british gas engineers come over who've done the above jobs and have recommended power flush.

We've had a plumber sent from british gas also come over because they thought it was plumbing issue but the plumber reckoned it was the thermostat which needed changing and/or pump which have both been changed. The plumber said the powerflush is to do with the radiators and if those are working then that is not the issue. Can you please help as we're very confused with what's going on.

This is the large cold water tank.

Many thanks. Kikii
process of elimination turn of the heating and hot water shut all the valves except the main and see if it still overflows if no then turn on each valve in turn see if that starts it you can even look in the tank as each one is turned on to see if you can see movement of water back filling the tank
if its still ok heating then hot water can be tried in turn

Keep us posted really good bunch of people here to try and help out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cold water tank overflowing with lukewarm water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock