Search the forum,

Discuss can i install/replace a system boiler with an unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogwai

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys,
just wondering if can install/replace a system boiler with an existing unvented cylinder if i don't have my unvented qualification?
not got to touch the cylinder it's just a straight boiler swap. not done one of these before as i mainly concentrate on the combi side.
also would i be able to use the existing controls??
thanks in advance.

p.s can you recommend a top of the shop 30kw'ish system boiler....customer only wants the best!!!

Officially no,as you will be heating the un vented cylinder and in therory you will not know if the controls fitted are correct
As far as boilers go valliant or believe remeha have just brought a 30 k/w out

Last edited by a moderator:
Officially no,as you will be heating the un vented cylinder and in therory you will not know if the controls fitted are correct
As far as boilers go valliant or believe remeha have just brought a 30 k/w out

that sucks.....it's for a friend of the family...but no way am i takin the chance of risking my gsr as i've only been out of my probation a day!!!!

i'm hearing more about these remeha boilers,are they as good as they say then?? better than wb's and valliant??

and do you know of and trust an engineer with unvented quals in brum??

book yourself on the un vented course only a day,you will get it, no problem and the boiler change profit will surely more than pay for it,then you do not have to worry in future,you are only going to come accross more and more unvented:)

too true puddle,i didn't realise that the unvented course was only a day i'll have to ring the centre where i did my acs. any ideas how much it is??

To be honest, i can't see why not.

A non GSR plumber can change a cylinder that is connected to a gas boiler so why can't you change a boiler that is connected to the unvented cylinder, as all your doing is as you say changing the boiler already connected to that system and not working on nor touching the cylinder itself.

A non GSR plumber can change a cylinder that is connected to a gas boiler so why can't you change a boiler that is connected to the unvented cylinder, as all your doing is as you say changing the boiler already connected to that system and not working on nor touching the cylinder itself.

oowww...this is one of those grey areas!!! think i'll give the gsr hotline a tinkle tomorrow and see what they say.

Think you will find a few more safety controls on a unvented cylinder and you are replacing the heat source and as said without unvented ticket you can not officially say you have left system in safe condition.
You do not need a ticket to say a normal vented cylinder is fitted and left in a safe operational condition

if you take that to its obvious conclussion you would need to be gsr to work on a stack that has a condense pipe going to it and obviously an electrician couldnt work on a ring main that included a boiler as he would be removing and replacing the source of power to a gas appliance

if you take that to its obvious conclussion you would need to be gsr to work on a stack that has a condense pipe going to it and obviously an electrician couldnt work on a ring main that included a boiler as he would be removing and replacing the source of power to a gas appliance

You do not need a ticket to work on a stack,if you did the gsr fitter would not be able to connect his condensate pipe to the stack without the required ticket and yes a non grs plumber should not work on or alter the condensate run into the stack,as we have discussed ,this is part of the flueing system

The electrician is qualified and has a ticket to connect electrical power to an appliance including a boiler,he is not allowed to work on electrical gas controls though without the correct ticket

How can you even commition a system with a unvented cylinder on it without working on the unit involved and to do that you need a ticket

as it seems to be that the pipework on a condensate is now part of a flue system which bs does it now conform to one for pipes or one for flues has every make of overflow been tested with each make of boiler ?i told i cant fit any part to a boiler that hasent been tested with the particular make and model but can use pipe that was originally designed for overflows on tanks and cystens to form part of the most saftey concise piece on a boiler ie the flue system
soon boiler manufactureres will specify their own brand of condensate pipework for use with their boilers and sell it to us a a similar rate of profit that they do with flues which also used to be universal

too true puddle,i didn't realise that the unvented course was only a day i'll have to ring the centre where i did my acs. any ideas how much it is??
I think when I did my BPEC unvented course last October it was about ÂŁ220.Good Luck

I think when I did my BPEC unvented course last October it was about ÂŁ220.Good Luck

have just seen that vaillant do the course for ÂŁ155,and the traing centre i 2 mins from my house....looks like an allround winner!!

I think you need to speak to gsr personally, let me know of the outcome, very interested in the outcome.

if your signing off a heating system after putting in a boiler, you are saying it is all safe, how can you do that if your not unvented qualified, and your insurers wont thank you for working illegally on a system and above all be more afraid of them than gas safe cos they are the ones who cover your rse

right...just got off the phone with gas safe and they said that i don't need the unvented ticket if i'm just replacing the boiler!!!....so there be it.
i'm kind of shocked about the outcome,but i do welcome it as it's saved me some cash...but will probably do a course anyways.

The unvented cylinder has nothing to do with gas safe and they are in no position to say you can or can not,its covered by building control
All gas safe can do is comment on the gas side of things.namely the boiler
You could put boiler in and then get someone with unvented ticket to commition that side of it
If you just go ahead,nobody would say anything ....unless there was a problem.....and although nothing to do with gas safe ,I bet if unvented cylinder went bang with new boiler fitted,they would be straight there dishing out blame...behind building control,that is

I agree with puddle, I've come across many un-vented cylinders that are not installed in line with G3. If anything went wrong, you would be pulled in as the last responsible person carring out work. Ring GSR, that will treat you like a school boy, but you will know where you stand. Seriously, you could get your unvented before starting the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to can i install/replace a system boiler with an unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We need an urgent advice, we have a gravity water system and we are in a middle of loft conversion. We are adding an en-suit in loft and prefer to have a good water pressure there. What we want, is to either be able to run multiple showers at once, or if one person is having a shower, other...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock