Discuss Getting disillusioned with this game in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hey folks,

I'm starting to get to the point where I'm seriously considering getting out of the plumbing/gas game and trying to find something else to do.

I broke my wrist last week, so I'm at home with probably too much time on my hands. But, to be honest Ive been feeling this way for the last 6 months or so.

I've been Gas reg for 3 years now and plumbing for 4 ish. I kinda did things the wrong way around as I trained with a friend who was gas reg before learning all the basics in plumbing. It's been one big learning curve for sure and for the most part I've enjoyed it.

The last year or so has been difficult with the economic down turn. Never really knowing what I'm doing from one day to the next. But I've survived and kept the ship afloat.

But I've become more and more despondent with the market/customers. People want things doing for nowt it seems. I live in a town where I'm quoting for a decent mid range boiler, and yet the houses seem full of chaffoteaux specials that look like they have been thrown on the wall. So I rarely get the job.

Most of my work is word of mouth. I seem to have a core group of customers who trust me and like my work. I also worsk for a couple of letting agents doing there breakdowns. This is fine, but does not keep me busy enough and finding new work and getting it is difficult.

I went out to a boiler breakdown the other night and on route called in to a job that wanted a new siphon fitting (they had the siphon and it only needed twisting in as it was a direct replacement for a faulty one). It only took me 5 mins, but it was 7pm on a tues night. As I was on route I said just give me £30 quid for the call -out. The reply I got was amazing: "you should try being a supply teacher" Long story short she was a supply teacher and thought I was expensive.

I can give loads and loads of other examples but I won't bore you.

It seems the recession has brought the worst out in some people coupled with some engineers carrying out work for what seems like the minimum wage has made it difficult to operate a genuine and qulality orientated business.

Rant over, I'm off to torch my van and feed my G1 book to the dog :D

I agree with all that and sympathize. I've been in the game for a couple of years and to me the only people who make some money are the various rule makers and course tutors and not the actual tradesmen who are doing the actual work.

Hope things pick up soon for you, but I'm not hugely optimistic for a bright year or two - at least not until people are more confident with the economy.

i think it has always been like this, all trades have made good money over the last 5/6 years due to the boom in building. Now we are going back to how it is normally and people who have only known the boom years are surprised at the down turn in work or how hard you have to work for your money.
For me the problem isnt the trade but the public perception that its a great trade and once qualified you can make a fortune. People then come into the trade expecting that and find it a surprise when things like that happen (Reaction to charging 30quid charge).
I now its hard i have been there a decade ago but i think many builders have had it very good for some years and now we are back to working hard, fighting hard to get the work etc. What should happen is alot of the cowboys and rip off merchants drop out of the trade.
Sorry if this seems I dont sympathise but those who have been in the trade more than 10 years have seen it all before. Part of being a tradesman mate

i think it has always been like this, all trades have made good money over the last 5/6 years due to the boom in building. Now we are going back to how it is normally and people who have only known the boom years are surprised at the down turn in work or how hard you have to work for your money.
For me the problem isnt the trade but the public perception that its a great trade and once qualified you can make a fortune. People then come into the trade expecting that and find it a surprise when things like that happen (Reaction to charging 30quid charge).
I now its hard i have been there a decade ago but i think many builders have had it very good for some years and now we are back to working hard, fighting hard to get the work etc. What should happen is alot of the cowboys and rip off merchants drop out of the trade.
Sorry if this seems I dont sympathise but those who have been in the trade more than 10 years have seen it all before. Part of being a tradesman mate
have to agree with above,people think its a bed of roses,but remember roses have thorns;)

Thanks for the replies. I have never thought that this trade was a bed of roses and I certainly did not get into it for the money or jump on any sort of bandwagon.

I earnt far more doing what I did before and changed because I wanted to be my own boss and enjoy helping people and getting things working again.

I appreciate all views and thoughts. Like I said, I have a broken wrist and too much time on my hands and the above is my take on the industry in my area at this particular time.

Those with recent experience of the trade only think we are in exceptional times, it is the last 5 or 6 years (2001-2007 ish) that have been the exceptional times.
Maybe the large amount of new entrants have added to the problem I dont know.

My father is a builder and I recall the last recession when we lost our house so I dont think we are in exceptional times. Plus, if you consider how many reg engineers there actually are in the uk, the ratio of engineer to house must we very high. So in theory we should all have lots of work.

I guess it will be as before, too many tradesmen followed by a mass shortage once the recession ends.

It's a funny old game :)

bronzino - the old rule of making the job look harder than it is should of kicked in here - if something takes me 5 minutes -i'll make it last that bit longer - i certainly wont just click out and click in and then ask for a hours wage... i'll be checking the pan, pretending to adjust things - talk about the pros and cons of the syphon... i'll even fit a isolation valve if it hasnt got one and explain that its good practice - just so they look and think theyve got something for there money.

but i would of charged the same - i charged 30 the other day for fitting a new plastic ball to pt1 valve. she was over the moon but i took 20 minutes to do it and fitted a new washer to valve while i was there.

I agree with all that and sympathize. I've been in the game for a couple of years and to me mathe only people who make some money are the various rule makers and course tutors and not the actual tradesmen who are doing the actual work.

Hope things pick up soon for you, but I'm not hugely optimistic for a bright year or two - at least not until people are more confident with the economy.

i take umbrage at that statement, I started in plumbing in 1979 and now teach it, why shouldn't I make money?

have to agree with above,people think its a bed of roses,but remember roses have thorns;)

and remember what they need to get covered in to blossom!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The siphon was just an example of what I see a lot of these days. I'd already spent time on the phone sourcing the replacement part for the customer and even tried to talk him through replacing it over the phone so I did not have to go out.

My whole post was more geared on my experiences with some of my customers and there inability to fully appreciate the cost of having a tradesmen turn up at there door with a van fully loaded with tools and a hard earnt card that says Gas Safe Registered on it.

I'll keep doing my little bit until I get a brain wave or find something else that takes my fancy. :)

I should have worded that better - I've no problem with people making money.

ive been in this game 37 years and its never been this bad i dont know where to turn to find work these days ads dont seem to produce any work other than those who want it for nought half my customer base has moved out of london or died
trouble is im to old to get a job doing anything else

ive been in this game 37 years and its never been this bad i dont know where to turn to find work these days ads dont seem to produce any work other than those who want it for nought half my customer base has moved out of london or died
trouble is im to old to get a job doing anything else

did your long term business plan not take into consideration people dying:eek:

Im no expert but if the industry hadnt trained 1,000s on quick courses who cannot get jobs so go self employed and need the work then the amount of work goes down as do prices, dont they???????

did your long term business plan not take into consideration people dying:eek:

Im no expert but if the industry hadnt trained 1,000s on quick courses who cannot get jobs so go self employed and need the work then the amount of work goes down as do prices, dont they???????

Yes, of course I does, I gives me customers a 5% discount card, that they can bequeath the oldest child or the wealthiest one,when they die or if repossessed

To go self employed and stay that way for a long period is not easy,it takes a lot more skills than just your basic trade one's,yes the market is effected but not long term,as many can not survive and that is in the good times,times like now,many have no chance :(

imho

turned upto to look at a dripping shower yesturday, turned it on/off a few times and obviously reset the seal ok as no more leak. No charge to custard who was an old girl id worked for before. Picked up 3 jobs today from her mates upon her recommendation overnight, proves u dont always have to hang on /make work etc to get paid in the long term. As ever service and manners is what most customers look for and word of mouth will get you employment in the long term. Smug self satisfied old git, thats me!

Hey folks,

I'm starting to get to the point where I'm seriously considering getting out of the plumbing/gas game and trying to find something else to do.

I broke my wrist last week, so I'm at home with probably too much time on my hands. But, to be honest Ive been feeling this way for the last 6 months or so.

I've been Gas reg for 3 years now and plumbing for 4 ish. I kinda did things the wrong way around as I trained with a friend who was gas reg before learning all the basics in plumbing. It's been one big learning curve for sure and for the most part I've enjoyed it.

The last year or so has been difficult with the economic down turn. Never really knowing what I'm doing from one day to the next. But I've survived and kept the ship afloat.

But I've become more and more despondent with the market/customers. People want things doing for nowt it seems. I live in a town where I'm quoting for a decent mid range boiler, and yet the houses seem full of chaffoteaux specials that look like they have been thrown on the wall. So I rarely get the job.

Most of my work is word of mouth. I seem to have a core group of customers who trust me and like my work. I also worsk for a couple of letting agents doing there breakdowns. This is fine, but does not keep me busy enough and finding new work and getting it is difficult.

I went out to a boiler breakdown the other night and on route called in to a job that wanted a new siphon fitting (they had the siphon and it only needed twisting in as it was a direct replacement for a faulty one). It only took me 5 mins, but it was 7pm on a tues night. As I was on route I said just give me £30 quid for the call -out. The reply I got was amazing: "you should try being a supply teacher" Long story short she was a supply teacher and thought I was expensive.

I can give loads and loads of other examples but I won't bore you.

It seems the recession has brought the worst out in some people coupled with some engineers carrying out work for what seems like the minimum wage has made it difficult to operate a genuine and qulality orientated business.

Rant over, I'm off to torch my van and feed my G1 book to the dog :D
Totaly agree with everything that youve just said, just take comfort in the fact that you are not alone, even people who say they are doing ok are struggling.

turned upto to look at a dripping shower yesturday, turned it on/off a few times and obviously reset the seal ok as no more leak. No charge to custard who was an old girl id worked for before. Picked up 3 jobs today from her mates upon her recommendation overnight, proves u dont always have to hang on /make work etc to get paid in the long term. As ever service and manners is what most customers look for and word of mouth will get you employment in the long term. Smug self satisfied old git, thats me!

You seem to have the 'old' market all sewn up old git

Iam not surprised he got jobs from 3 of her mates when they heard he did work for free.

if you do that for just say 3 years you will have a very good cleint base. Then you can start charging for work, jobs a good un

if you do that for just say 3 years you will have a very good cleint base. Then you can start charging for work, jobs a good un

Trouble is after three years they will all probably be dead,so you are back to square one

mind you you may get some system drain downs,while the house is empty, off the estate :(

I get fed up of working for old people ,being called to leaks through ceiling and finding out its caused by incontinence

imho

Trouble is after three years they will all probably be dead,so you are back to square one

mind you you may get some system drain downs,while the house is empty, off the estate :(

I get fed up of working for old people ,being called to leaks through ceiling and finding out its caused by incontinence

imho

ah the old age......headwork!!!!!

in our game you never know whats round the corner,been self employed 15 yrs,it is hard at moment,but it will pick up,you,ve got to have rainy day/week/month fund.hard not doing work,you get fed up/tired more.

I set up my business in 2007 for exactly the same reasons. Not to make the fortunes that were bantered around in the papers but because I was working as a plumber on big building sites and had had enough. I then thought that if I retrained as a then Corgi gas engineer I'd be me own boss and make an ok living with the reward of doing a good job and helping people.

Things haven't turned out that way at all.
Now in more debt than I ever have been.

I also had a customer complain at the price to change a syphon on a toilet. This was a Grohe syphon in a designer flat all marble bathroom!! the syphon was a special order. To cut a long story short I made £60 on the job and was there twice!! Once to remove, once to fit.
If you go on E bay there are guys offering £299 on the labour to fit a Vaillant boiler!!!:eek:

Clients don't seem to get that with reliability and care comes a price and not a mental price.

Hope it picks up for us all soon.
Till then just have to battle though

Yeah I love the Ebay ads, £299 labour and most will travel anywhere for the work. What about back up service though? long way to travel back for any issues and will eat into there £299.

Each to there own I guess.

in our game you never know whats round the corner,been self employed 15 yrs,it is hard at moment,but it will pick up,you,ve got to have rainy day/week/month fund.hard not doing work,you get fed up/tired more.
quietest month i have known,and yes people do shop around to get the cheapest quote,this does not mean they will be happy with the end result,for instance the amount of people who phone and ask; how much to install a cooker?i say £70.00 if a straight forward install,they say;i have already been quoted £35:confused:do they expect me to pay them:confused:i know the trade is flooded with cowboys and this is impacting on the work situation,maybe we should contemplate on a trade only supply of gas/plumbing parts/spares to help combat this.whats the trades thoughts on this?:cool:

It's times like this I wish I had an ASBO, 8 kids and a drink habit. At least the rent would be paid and I'd be on benefits up to my eyeballs :)

It's times like this I wish I had an ASBO, 8 kids and a drink habit. At least the rent would be paid and I'd be on benefits up to my eyeballs :)
make the most of the time you have,tie up any loose ends sort out the office and the van,stock take and replenish then sit in the garden and chill:cool:

make the most of the time you have,tie up any loose ends sort out the office and the van,stock take and replenish then sit in the garden and chill:cool:

That is the best advice. The sun is out and that is where I'm going.
All accounts are upto date, van is checked.
Might have a megaflow install for friday.:D

Catch you all later.

All the best
:)

Getting the veg patch dug out, potatoes planted, seeds sown and catching up with accounts. There's all thos small irritating little jobs I've been putting off I can catch up with such as tightening loose taps behind built-in Belfast sinks etc.

Just landed two complete boiler / heating systems but not unitl the customers turn off the heating for the summer so hope it gets warm quickly!

Cant do much mate with a broken wrist
smile.gif

You can use the other wrist !:D:p

Last edited:
Luckily I have two boiler swaps also waiting for me once the wrist is fixed. They are existing customers who a happy to wait thank god. :)

I think another issue with all this is how we are perceived. In places like Germany, gas engineers are held with the same regard to doctors, i.e professional people who are trusted. In their country they can charge what they like for a professional job and no questions asked.
As we all pay into the gas safe subs every year it surely must be their duty to promote people like us and tell Joe Public that this is a highly regulated game to be in and that we, as engineers, are professionals. With this recognition in place we stand a chance. At the moment I know things are tight for all of us. But rather than sitting around being gloomy get up and be a bit pro-active !!!! Get out there and chuck some flyers around etc. I have and it's paying dividends.

Good luck guys

i have been disillusioned with this game since i started. ive never really liked it, its just a living

Thats what I'm saying !!! It shouldn't have to be like that. We pay good money to keep up with regs, training, tickets etc so why shouldn't we pass this on and make a profit at the same time???? Hardly anyone knows how much training and knowledge we have to go round to someones house and give them heating and hot water !!!! I say we should all rise up and make our voices heard !!! We all pay into one organisation who should be doing for us. We don't have unions and all that to back us up!!! Therefore we should all make a stand and demand that we are promoted to everyone as the professionals that we are.
There. Said it.

Thats what I'm saying !!! It shouldn't have to be like that. We pay good money to keep up with regs, training, tickets etc so why shouldn't we pass this on and make a profit at the same time???? Hardly anyone knows how much training and knowledge we have to go round to someones house and give them heating and hot water !!!! I say we should all rise up and make our voices heard !!! We all pay into one organisation who should be doing for us. We don't have unions and all that to back us up!!! Therefore we should all make a stand and demand that we are promoted to everyone as the professionals that we are.
There. Said it.

who are we aiming our stand at????????

gassafe need to do more,they need to have a dedicated website where we should be able to advertise

i have been disillusioned with this game since i started. ive never really liked it, its just a living

deary me fuzzy that a bit depressing, i honestly enjoy work and if i didnt i would do something else, we spend too long at work not to enjoy it, how long have you been in the game

must admit I looove the trade,if I did'nt,do'nt think I could do it,the hours I used to do when bringing the family up,it would have been to depressing

I know some are forced to do jobs they do not like,would not think this is one of them,with such variety ,do'nt understand how you could not like it
maybe I am just lucky

imho

deary me fuzzy that a bit depressing, i honestly enjoy work and if i didnt i would do something else, we spend too long at work not to enjoy it, how long have you been in the game

20 years mate. its not that i like or dislike plumbing, its just a job, i would never say i looove it. I love other things that i do for enjoyment, i plumb for a living.
If you think its great and love it then fine, its good that your hobby is your job, what will happen when you retire?

Agree with fuzzy on this one. I dread every sunday thinking i have a week of crap from boss/customers trating me like dirt, only do it for the money. If i could do another job for the same money i would jump at it,

dont think i could do anything else ,its all i know,in me blood,along with that other **** the doc said is poisonous lol:D

I understand you 100% I have started getting calls for quotes for servicing and its annoying when I hear " how much? I have been quoted £25.00 from blah blah " or when local council plumbers under cut me on boiler changes using there "personal" gas safe number!
I still dont see a need to reduce your pricing, you just need to make the deal a bit sweeter, for example a loyalty card system, this is tried and tested.

The best one is, "hi how much to cp12 my other flat I have 2.5 billion properties and £20? for the first one as a test run? " ohhh how I fell for that 10 years ago :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting disillusioned with this game in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hi all, So I did a job for a customer recently which involved swapping out an incredibly dangerous and poorly installed unvented hot water...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm having some issues with my boiler / central heating and have enlisted a local 'Combi Heating Specialist' to sort it out but he seems to be...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock