Search the forum,

Discuss Recent house purchase - CH/HW Major issues. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y plan vented system with a Ideal Classic boiler. The house has 9 radiators, one of which is a large double, the rest are single and no heated towel rails, only the 3 bedroom radiators have TRV's the rest have lockshield valves on both sides. The Pipework to the radiators looks quite small, I will have to put a caliper on them but I'd say between 10-12mm?

Thankfully most issues have been rectified but I cannot get to the bottom of an issue we have having with our CH/HW system.
I'll try and write this post with everything chronologically and with as much information as possibly, apologies if this becomes a long first post.

The first day we got the keys I put the HW on so we could do a bit of cleaning here, strangely the whole house heated up at the same time, I found the programmer and it was definitely calling for HW only so I went to the airing cupboard and did some checks. I found the Mid position actuator wasn't working correctly. Being an electronics/electrical engineer by trade I thought I would take it apart and see if I could repair it.
Upon inspection the whole unit was burnt out inside, all the resistors were black and the circuit board was in a right state so I binned it and fitted a Drayton 27651SX actuator body.

I still had the same issue so I opened up the wiring centre and there had been some bodge work going on it there, numerous bits of wires jammed in different places. So I put all the wiring right and the actuator was working correctly, but the radiators were getting luke warm when only calling for CH, so a bit better but not fixed entirely. As I bought the complete Drayton actuator kit I fitted the valve body and all this issue was resolved.

At this point in time we only needed HW and given the issues with the system wiring I wanted to check the boiler over as there were numerous wires hanging down from it, as mentioned the boiler is a Ideal Classic manufactured approx 1999/2000, I have no idea what Kw it is as there are no labels left on it and it looks like the front door has never been fitted due to it's location in the cupboard. I checked the wiring over and it was all fine, I removed some auxiliary wires there that didn't go anywhere and it seems to work okay. I did notice that the limit thermostat/overheat was just hanging on by one thread on its nut so tightened that back up enough so it wasn't rattling around. The programmer was in a daft place in the kitchen and you could not see the LCD without a mirror so I fitted a Drayton Wiser system.

Everything was fine with the HW and then as it got a bit colder over the past few weeks we had the CH on and I noticed some issues, often we would hear a wooshing sound through the pump and boiler, it would setting down after a bit. I gave the radiators a quick bleed but didn't find any air in the system. The double radiator in the living room would only get hot at the top and the tall vertical "designer" radiator only ever heated up one one column.

START HERE IF YOU WANT TO GET TO THE MAIN ISSUE without backstory
When we decorated the kitchen I decided to take this "Designer" radiator off the wall to paint behind it, I thought I would give it a flush in the garden. It was absolutely FULL of magnetite, the water was black, I gave it a good clean with the hose and tapped the radiator all over with a rubber mallet until it ran clear, when I put it back on the wall it started working correctly.

Given all the magnetite in this radiator I had serious doubts to whether this system has any inhibitor and I had no idea how long ago it's been dosed with inhibitor or drained down for that matter.

I decided the best thing to do would be to put some cleaner in the system and then give it a good drain, refill it and do the same. I put some cleaner in there, I used Flomasta 0630, I left this in for about a week switched off the system, put the Mid position actuator in Mid position and drained the system, I then refilled the system and drained it again and there was lots of magnetite coming out. Not happy with this I went up and cleaned the F&E tank out turned the water back on, in turn I went around every radiator and "flushed" them through with the water going through the system from the F&E tank, gave each radiator a tap with a rubber mallet and could see the magnetite leaving each radiator. This all took a while but eventually the water was running clear.

I then allowed the system to fill back up and added a bottle of inhibitor, I went around and bled each radiator, opened the manual vent on the HW tank feed and everything was going well.

I got the system back on and everything was working much better I thought, the living room double radiator was now heating from top to bottom, but it took ages to heat up in comparison to the others. Before I drained the system I made a note of turns on the lockshield valves, apart from the radiators with TRV's they were all wide open. I did wind some back a bit to test if I could get a bit more flow to that radiator but it made little difference, I thought I'll leave that job till another day and measure the flow and return temps on each etc.

I still felt something wasn't right and it sounded like the boiler was cycling quite often, almost as if the hysteresis is wrong with the thermostat, it would light up heat up for a few seconds, then go back to off, then 30 seconds or less it would do the same thing. At first I thought there may be a thermocouple issue with it and was going to take the PCB out and check a few things over.

I went up to the airing cupboard to check a few things and looked at all the pipework and valves and noticed something I didn't pay any attention to, there was a gate valve lower down with a snapped off handle. I looked at the pipework and thought this is odd, it's redirecting the flow directly back to the boiler, I did some reading up and found out it is a manual bypass. I put an adjustable spanner on the square end and noticed it was fully open! This didn't seem right so did some more reading, I read it's not really needed on a Y plan system with a Mid position valve and only 3 radiators out of the 9 here have TRV's. I do plan on adding some Drayton Wiser TRV's to all/most of the radiators at some point in the future however.

With the bypass gate valve closed the system was working WAY better, radiators getting up to heat quickly, including the living room radiator, I was really happy with this as I have a feeling it was costing us more in gas with the bypass fully open? And the boiler seemed to cycle a lot less.

But this is where the problems start and I can't quite pinpoint what's changed, ever since I did the above the system is really noisy, it sounds like the radiators are full of air, lots of sloshing sounds etc. It's driving the other half mad. I don't know if the bypass being open previously masked this issue, or all that sludge/magnetite was masking it.

I had a look at the circulator pump, which WAS a Wilo Gold 50, it was set to Speed 3. I thought I'd try some slower settings, so I tried 1 and 2 but maybe it helped a little but the issue was still there. Unfortunately for me the speed switch stopped working, it became intermittent after I had tried a couple of speeds. I removed the pump and saw it was date stamped 1999, so not a bad run! If I could remove the speed switch off the module I'd have a go at fixing it.

I went out and bought a Wilo Pico Yonos 25/1-5 and fitted it, hoping it may even solve the problem, it didn't and I still have this issue.

I started reading further and read about hydrogen in the system etc, so I thought I'd give it another good flush again. I didn't fancy doing the trick with a lighter I'd read places and I could never really get any air out of the radiators anyway. I did manage to get a puff of air out of the manual vent valve on the HW tank, which I put in a small clear plastic bag and sniffed it, but I could not smell anything.

I went and bought some more inhibitor and drained it all down again, the water was surprisingly clear this time. I did the same trick as before and then filled the system up and flushed each radiator, it all looked nice and clean. Before I refilled the system I replaced the HW circuit manual vent valve with an automatic bottle vent, I also replaced the bypass gate vale with a new one as it was a bit of a mess and had a missing handle.

I still have the same issue and I'm absolutely baffled, air is getting in to the system somewhere and I feel it's either through the vent pipe on the H&E tank or it's hydrogen (don't seem to get much air in the radiators though)

I've made a short video where I've gone up to the H&E tank, got my other half the turn the CH on and off and select different pump speeds. I've got a jug of water with the vent pipe going on and when the pump is powered up and down it seems to suck and blow air in to the jug. It's difficult to say at this stage whether I'm getting pump over in to the H&E tank, I've left the float valve up so the tank can't refill and the jug with water in it under the vent pipe to see whether the jug fills/empties with water over the next few days or if the H&E tank empties.

I've checked the Vent/Feed pipes going up to the tank and there seems to be no blockage, if I drain the system and leave the water flowing in to the tank it seems to go though the system quite well and never fills up. I have also tried strong magnets around the pipework and none of it is the slightest bit magnetic.

I've got the pump set to speed 1 at the moment as if I turn it up at all it just makes matters worse it seems, I've tried the settings on the pump like the VP and Constant modes but they make no difference.

A couple of things of note here if it helps, I am not sure at this stage whether it is worse when the radiators are hot and the boiler is up to temp, I will have to test this by running the system for a while with the boiler off. I have a feeling it's worse when it's hotter but without jumping the gun about hydrogen, that could be due to the room stat cycling causing the pump to go on and off, or air behaves differently when it's warm?

Also when I drain the system down, I try to pick the lowest radiator downstairs but they won't all drain together, I have to drain each one, I'm not sure if I'm draining them wrong and tried different combinations of opening the bleed valves but it makes no difference, I've had to empty each one downstairs individually.

I have put a K type thermocouple on the boiler flow/return, I get a delta of around 10c, with the boiler stat set between 4 - 5 it heats up to 62-72c, I try and keep it above 60c.

I'm at the end of my tether with this and I really need to get to the bottom of it, the noise is horrendous it's annoying and worrying at the same time, we can hear it throughout the whole house, every radiator and all the pipework, it sounds like loud water sloshing around.

Apologies for the essay, I really need to get to the bottom of it somehow, any advice whatsoever would be gratefully appreciated and I can try out any further tests.

Pictures attached of system and pipework and link to F&E video here:

Many Thanks
Dale

Attachments

• 20230106_225446.jpg
    20230106_225446.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230106_225453.jpg
    20230106_225453.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230106_225555.jpg
    20230106_225555.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230106_225616.jpg
    20230106_225616.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230106_225625.jpg
    20230106_225625.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230106_225921.jpg
    20230106_225921.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230106_225938.jpg
    20230106_225938.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
3 ports don’t need a bypass eg 15mm gate valve with the red head so you can leave shut etc probably left open to help with the air issues

The 22mm one without a head is for the hot water to slow the water down through the coil this one needs to be 1/2-3/4 way open etc

Yes common issue tbh your best way is to seal the system eg get rid of the f and e tank and install an expansion vessel kit with pressure relief valve and filling loop etc

Also you can set the pump correctly for the system then no sucking of air etc

Can you post a photo of where the cold feed joins the system and also the vent in relation to this.

Picture 5446 John 15mm cold feed 22mm vent tees down to the pump

3 ports don’t need a bypass eg 15mm gate valve with the red head so you can leave shut etc probably left open to help with the air issues

The 22mm one without a head is for the hot water to slow the water down through the coil this one needs to be 1/2-3/4 way open etc

Yes common issue tbh your best way is to seal the system eg get rid of the f and e tank and install an expansion vessel kit with pressure relief valve and filling loop etc

Also you can set the pump correctly for the system then no sucking of air etc
Hi ShaunCorbs,

Thank you for your reply, I did have the bypass valve completely closed but I think it's currently open 1/4 of a turn from some tests I was doing, at some point I may run it wide open and see if anything changes but I won't do that for the moment and certainly do not want to have a bypass/short circuit there given what I have read so far about it.

AFAIK the 22mm gate valve on the HW return is fully open, I can adjust it if it should be in a different position, we haven't had any issue with the HW tank heating up or the radiators getting hot, I assumed it was just there for isolation but I was wrong.

Ideally I would like to get everything running as it should work and I really want to rule out other issues before I go down that route, but this will definitely be considered.
Is the pump return above that 15/22mm T or below it, looks something like a pipe on the bottom of the photo?

Hi John.g,

Thank you for your reply, I apologise the pictures are not very clear so I have taken some more, they are attached to this post, hopefully that explains more.

Todays update:

I've been feeling quite rough the past few days and think I have food poisoning, yesterday wasn't too bad and thought I was getting better but this morning it got a lot worse again. So it's been quite difficult to check anything today so only now have I been able to go and have a nose in the attic.

So far it looks like there has been little to no change in the in the F&E tank levels, I can't see if they have increased or decreased, I still have the float valve held up. I will continue to monitor this.

I still have a jug on the vent pipe with water in there, the level may have dropped 50-100ml but that might just be whats going up and down inside the vent pipe.

I went around the system to bleed the radiators when they were luke warm with the system not running, only one radiator (Downstairs hall, tiny single radiator) had a tiny bit of air, but absolutely nothing from the others.

HW works absolutely fine, no noises at all when the system is calling for HW only, the boiler seems perfectly happy, though I do have the automatic bottle vent fitted.

As mentioned I have a jug on the vent pipe which is submerged in water, I can't see any way air can get back through the water in the jug and I'm not able to bleed any air from the radiators.

I've had the heating on and off here today and I can definitely say when the radiators get hot the noise starts happening. To clarify this I have set the room stat high and switched the boiler off, so water is circulating through the system but not being heated, as the system has cooled down the noise faded away and has now stopped. This might be an important part of the puzzle. I'm really not clued up on thermodynamics etc and I'm sure someone will know what's happening here.

Im going to switch the boiler back on and see what happens, is it worth me monitoring the flow temp to see when exactly this starts?

Many Thanks
Dale

Attachments

• 20230107_164444.jpg
    20230107_164444.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230107_164434.jpg
    20230107_164434.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 14
UPDATE

I think I might be on to something here, with the boiler off I can run the pump at any speed and absolutely no air, sloshing or any noise at all through the radiators.

If I turn the boiler back on as soon as the radiators get hot it all starts getting quite noisy.

Now going back to my initial post I said I the system was absolutely full of magnetite, which I have "drained/flushed" out twice and added inhibitor twice.

I've been doing some further reading and I'm now wondering if there is something still in the system that when it is getting heated up is creating air/gas. When I did the last drain down I had the lid off the F&E tank and noticed that the tank had thick brown/rust colour substance coating the sides and the bottom, so I took a bucket up there and bailed out what I could and used some cloths to clean it it.

I'm wondering if this brown substance is indicative of something and is still in the system somewhere causing this issue.
I just pulled some water from a bleed valve on one of the radiators and taken a picture in front of a white dishwasher, the water is definitely not clear and has a slight orange/brown tint to it?

Attachments

• 20230107_185637.jpg
    20230107_185637.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Your not thinking about expansion when heated water expands back into the f and e tank

There was a big long thread on here a few years ago where once the boiler temp went above 60/65C then the system displayed the same symptoms as yours, everything was tried, OV system changed to closed system and still no cure, don't know what happened eventually.
Can you reduce the boiler flow temp to whatever is required to stop noisy operation as a start.

There was a big long thread on here a few years ago where once the boiler temp went above 60/65C then the system displayed the same symptoms as yours, everything was tried, OV system changed to closed system and still no cure, don't know what happened eventually.
Can you reduce the boiler flow temp to whatever is required to stop noisy operation as a start.
I've currently got the boiler set between 3 and 4 on the thermostat and the radiators are silent, I'm seeing around 52c on the flow temp.

Looking on here you I've read a lot of posts from you about circulating pumps, as I mentioned the previous pump here was a Wilo 50 Gold which was absolutely silent on all 3 speeds unless you had your head in the airing cupboard you would just about hear it running on speed 3.

The new pump is a Wilo Yonos Pico 25/1-5, I find it sounds quite obnoxious, I can hear it in the living room which is directly below the airing cupboard when its on C2, one of the modulating speeds (slightly above the small house) and definitely on C3, also the airing cupboard is part of my office so it gets quite annoying in there too. It sounds like a typical BLDC type PWM motor and there is some slight resonance at some speeds.

Can you recommend a quieter circulating pump?

Last edited:
Have you tried clipping the pipes / holding them tight to see if the noise lessens ?

I have the 6m version of this which is absolutely dead silent on any setting, installed on the return to a oil fired open vented system.
If noisy from start up when cold? then maybe get replacement under warranty, note the power in watts when running in C2 now, turn the setting knob clockwise until you get the same power and see if any improvement, if not turn it anticlockwise past C1 until you again get same power and see what happens, inviter position if still noisy turn it vdfryslowly clockwise until noise stops and again just note the final power and head which will flash for a few seconds on making any changes.

I have the 6m version of this which is absolutely dead silent on any setting, installed on the return to a oil fired open vented system.
If noisy from start up when cold? then maybe get replacement under warranty, note the power in watts when running in C2 now, turn the setting knob clockwise until you get the same power and see if any improvement, if not turn it anticlockwise past C1 until you again get same power and see what happens, inviter position if still noisy turn it vdfryslowly clockwise until noise stops and again just note the final power and head which will flash for a few seconds on making any changes.
I've just uploaded a video to YouTube, my phone doesn't pick it up so well but it will give you an idea of the sounds it makes and as you have one it would be interesting to know how it compares to your 6m version.
It's only a couple of days old so I can return it, I was going to buy a UPS3 but as the original Wilo 50 Gold we had here was totally silent it seemed like a good idea to get the modern replacement.

youtube.com/shorts/zIVu5akC-N4

Last edited:
Sounds normal to me

It’s because of the digital / variable motor

Stuart turner 15-60 is a quiet ish model

What is the power in watts W when running in C2 & C3.?

You would have to put your ear to mine even at full speed C3 & 40W to hear anything.

What is the power in watts W when running in C2 & C3.?

You would have to put your ear to mine even at full speed C3 & 40W to hear anything.
I will check C2, C3 said 33W when I last tried it.

I wonder what the difference is with the 5M and 6M models, I did check the spec sheet but no where do they give impeller size or dB noise levels.

I saw C2 at 17W which is OK, mine runs at 22/23W on C2 and 33W on C3 sounds about right for a 5M head.
There should be no difference in noise levels for either which should be practically zero judging by mine.

Why is it only showing 0.7W on C2 at the start of your video??

Presume the pump is pumping out of the boiler, ie from the flow (hot) side.

1673134321202.png

Last edited:
I saw C2 at 17W which is OK, mine runs at 22/23W on C2 and 33W on C3 sounds about right for a 5M head.
There should be no difference in noise levels for either which should be practically zero judging by mine.

Why is it only showing 0.7W on C2 at the start of your video??
It's showing 0.7 M3/H, 17W.

Flow from the boiler goes in to the top of the pump and out of the pump in to the 3 way valve.

Thats good, mine doesn't display that.
So, IMO that noise from a Wilo circ pump is certainly not normal, I have installed another one for a relation and its practically silent, like mine.

Probably won't make any difference but when you press one of the buttons the pump does a automatic venting for ~ 10 minutes where it slows/speeds the pump up and down apparently, I didn't use it on installing mine.

1673135952625.png

Today's Update

The issue is definitely not related to the vent/feed pipe or pump, I can run it indefinitely with the boiler off or below 58-60c without issue.

However if I turn the boiler up so it's heating the water above 58c, as soon as the radiator circuit warms up it starts getting noisier, the higher the temp the noisier it becomes.

I'm not sure where to go next with this, whether I need chemicals to treat the system, hire a power flush machine or something else.

I'm going to change the pump for a Grundfos UPS3 as it looks to be built around a more traditional type motor, rather than the tiny BLDC motor on this Wilo.

Uncannily like this, with a UPS2 pump.

Uncannily like this, with a UPS2 pump.
Thank you for finding that thread, I've been searching for it on here since you mentioned someone had a similar issue.
What a shame they didn't come back on here and let everyone know what the problem was.

I've made a video to show the noise from the system, it's throughout the whole house, every radiator, all pipework and at the boiler.
This only happens when the system gets up to temperature. From a cold start it is silent up until the water gets hot, then if I turn the boiler off as the system cools down it goes silent again.

I'm not really getting any air in the radiators and I've been checking the F&E tank, I'm getting no pump over at any pump speed and no change of level in the F&E tank.

Also I returned the Wilo pump and fitted a Grundfos UPS3 today. It is MUCH quieter.

I'm currently trying to find the best speed to run it at, I've had it on PP1 but the livingroom 2 metre wide double radiator doesn't get hot and the same with the tall vertical radiator in the kitchen. I'll try it on PP2 for a bit.

Video:

That’s air in the pipework moving

I've made a video to show the noise from the system, it's throughout the whole house, every radiator, all pipework and at the boiler.
This only happens when the system gets up to temperature. From a cold start it is silent up until the water gets hot, then if I turn the boiler off as the system cools down it goes silent again.

I'm not really getting any air in the radiators and I've been checking the F&E tank, I'm getting no pump over at any pump speed and no change of level in the F&E tank.

Also I returned the Wilo pump and fitted a Grundfos UPS3 today. It is MUCH quieter.

I'm currently trying to find the best speed to run it at, I've had it on PP1 but the livingroom 2 metre wide double radiator doesn't get hot and the same with the tall vertical radiator in the kitchen. I'll try it on PP2 for a bit.

Video:
The UPS3 on PP1 is bound to be quit as it will pump almost nothing on that setting, PP2 should/might be sufficient and CP1 at a constant 3.0M certainly will.

But, Is system still very noisy once the temperature is increased??. I still am not confinced that you are not pulling air into the system as your vent/cold feed is not conventional, the traditional H (VCP) system is like one below and a combined cold feed & vent IMO should be combined up at the F&E tank with the cold feed the same diameter as the vent, would be tempted to do as Shaun suggests and seal it but again no cast iron guarantee that that will cure the problem, I would certainly seal it in preference to messing around now with any other methods.

Attachments

• VCP Proper.jpg
    VCP Proper.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 14
But, Is system still very noisy once the temperature is increased??. I still am not confinced that you are not pulling air into the system as your vent/cold feed is not conventional, the traditional H (VCP) system is like one below and a combined cold feed & vent IMO should be combined up at the F&E tank with the cold feed the same diameter as the vent, would be tempted to do as Shaun suggests and seal it but again no cast iron guarantee that that will cure the problem, I would certainly seal it in preference to messing around now with any other methods.
Yes it's still very noisy when the temperature increases.

I thought this was conventional, it took me a while to work out the difference with that picture and what I can see is the tees are in different places, I've drawn a quick picture which I will post below to see if I've got this right.

I have had the vent pipe in a jug full of water for a couple of days, I assumed it couldn't be a vent issue as there would be no way to suck air in with the vent pipe submerged? Also this issue has only been present since I cleaned all the magnetite out and got the radiators going, surely it must have all worked at some point and the part that it's only happening when it gets hot is what I cant get my head around. I could run it forever with the boiler switched off or at a low temp at any pump speed and its fine.

It will be the last resort if I have to seal the system, I don't know if I trust the microbore manifolds under any additional pressure as they are hidden in the building and I have no way to inspect them if anything goes wrong.

Attachments

• F&E.png
    F&E.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 16
Seal it at 0.5 bar the pump is pushing that much on the system already

Reply to Recent house purchase - CH/HW Major issues. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock