Discuss Bizarre thermostat boiler problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

27cows

Hi :)

Since about midday today we've been experiencing a very odd problem with our boiler (Main Combi 24 HE). Got in earlier to find the place sweltering, with the radiators red hot and the room temp showing at about 27C. We have a Salus RT300RF room stat and this was set to 15C - but the little burner symbol that usually shows when the heating is on wasn't lit.

The receiver's green light just seems to come on when it wants to - and nothing will stop it, short of switching off the power at the wall. Even with the heating and hot water settings to off and the batteries removed from the thermostat, the green light on the receiver still comes on.

The boiler and stat are a month old and have worked fine up till today. I'm absolutely stumped but didn't want to fetch the installer back if it turned out to be something silly. Wondering if anyone here has any ideas. Any help or advice much appreciated :)

I did wonder if it could be something of this nature. We're in a middle flat here. But there had been no problem up till now. I've been looking around the place in case something one of us has brought in is somehow interfering with the receiver - can't find anything of the kind. It's very strange.

If the problem hasn't gone away by tomorrow, I think getting the installer back is the only option, though I think he'll probably point out something very obvious that we're somehow missing lol It's very annoying because the place quickly becomes like a sauna unless the boiler is kept switched off.

good boiler very poor quality stat your installer may have fitted the salus in good faith but they are rubbish if it is communicating with another wire free device the frequency can be altered via dip switches in the receiver

good boiler very poor quality stat your installer may have fitted the salus in good faith but they are rubbish if it is communicating with another wire free device the frequency can be altered via dip switches in the receiver

Yeah, I've been seeing quite a few people have issues with Salus stats. My knowledge of such things is nonexistent. The installer has a good rep and I know others who have recommended him highly - which begs the question of why he uses a stat with a poor reputation. We would have paid extra for a decent one, it's not like we were trying to penny pinch ;)

Just had a read of the little manual for the thermostat. Not sure if I could alter the frequency without breaking something. Can't for the life of my work out what the problem could be, unless it's a device not inside our property but nearby.

I liked our old Worcester Bosch - no wireless malarkey, just nice and simple and reliable. I don't suppose there's any easy way (or any at all) of not having the boiler controlled by the thermostat?

YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE A THERMOSTAT BUT you will use a lot more gas,get a wire free honeywell if it continues to play up,your installer would need to do the dip switches for you its with the wiring part of the receiver myself like your installer used to fit a lot of salus stats once but i went over to honeywell for reliability no one wants callbacks for product issues so your installer probably wont fit salus if they start to give him/her agro

YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE A THERMOSTAT BUT you will use a lot more gas,get a wire free honeywell if it continues to play up,your installer would need to do the dip switches for you its with the wiring part of the receiver myself like your installer used to fit a lot of salus stats once but i went over to honeywell for reliability no one wants callbacks for product issues so your installer probably wont fit salus if they start to give him/her agro

I can't understand why the installer didn't give us the option of having a Honeywell (or other reliable thermostat). It would have been well worth the extra fifty or sixty quid not to have this kind of hassle.

Unfortunately many installers try to keep the price down by fitting these type of items - false economy really. Salus are not great and I would ask the installer to change it for you if you pay the price difference.

Hi there,

Apologies about hijacking this old topic. I'll try to be brief.

I have a Sunvic RF1206 and the receiver, which is attached to the boiler, started buzzing. I disconnected the receiver as this is obviously a sign of a fault. I still have hot water but no central heating.

I need to get a new receiver and thermostat combination however I've been reading bad things about the Salus ones, including this thread! I guess my two questions are: which receiver should I invest in and can I install it myself? I am capable of addressing most problems of a simple nature by no means gifted in the inner workings of DIY.

Oh, I'm sure this isn't important but it's a Biasi combi boiler.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bizarre thermostat boiler problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
I have an Ideal Logic+ 30 combi boiler which was running fine up until a power cut earlier today. Now it's stuck saying "timer or room stat off"...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice so I can try and save a bit of money this winter (especially considering the new prices!) I have an...
Replies
Views
Hi I have an oil worcester bosch greenstar heatslave ii combi boiler. It's about 5 years old. The problem I have is when the thermostat calls for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, At our old flat, we had a combi boiler which dealt with heating and hot water without an additional tank. There was an external timer...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 126113
D
having a few issues with my boiler. worcester bosch greenstar 28i. has been serviced every year. last serviced in jan. i moved into this property...
Replies
Views
GeorgeHunt
G
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock