Discuss a wage for a newbie? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave knight

Hi all.

Just wanting to pick your collective minds really. I'm just about to start working in the real world after finishing my training at BTSC. I'm C&G L3, and now going to work towards my NVQ's and ACS. I've not had any work experience yet due to concentrating on getting the course done asap.

My query is this: What kind of money (roughly) should i be asking for, for jobs?

I understand that each job is different etc, but i have a number of potential jobs lined up, and currently have no idea where a good starting point would be in regards to quotes. I don't want to take the micky by asking the same as a time served plumber, but i also don't want to be selling myself short.

I know its not a straight forward answer but any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe you employ someone of my experience level, and as such, know a rough wage.

thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well dude I am a plumber and I charge around $5-$10 per hour for fixing the leaks.

I roughly work out how long it will take me, then halve the labour if i think an experienced plumber will be twice as fast.
So customers pay the same im just under their feet longer and im not upsetting other plumbers with cut prices.

I roughly work out how long it will take me, then halve the labour if i think an experienced plumber will be twice as fast.
So customers pay the same im just under their feet longer and im not upsetting other plumbers with cut prices.

So what's your rate then? I've never used a plumber or had the chance to work with one yet, so I have no idea lol. A friend who has experience in construction industry, all be it not plumbing, reckons ÂŁ100 a day based on 8 hour day is reasonable.

Local plumbers charge anywhere from 35 to 45 p/h or 175 - 220 a day rate. This is the south east and Id imagine expensive compared to other areas, it really depends on the area, job, length of job. Day rate would come down on each extra day until a week would come out at ÂŁ600ish.

The above is purely domestic, you wouldnt get that on site im told.

Hi. Although you hear plumbers charging ÂŁ30 to ÂŁ40 per hour. I can assure you the hours in a day they get paid for are not always 8 or if they are they have done 12. Plus things like taking out a bathroom suit and fitting new, a good plumber may be finished in a day, you may well be there for a week. Which makes that what you are asking, difficult to answer.

Hi. Although you hear plumbers charging ÂŁ30 to ÂŁ40 per hour. I can assure you the hours in a day they get paid for are not always 8 or if they are they have done 12. Plus things like taking out a bathroom suit and fitting new, a good plumber may be finished in a day, you may well be there for a week. Which makes that what you are asking, difficult to answer.

That's why I was just after a rough guide. To give me a starting point. I have a lady who wants me to quote her for fitting new bath tub and new sink. She's buying the bits. So I need to be able to come up with a price.

Is it a complete bathroom suite swap or just sink and basin? Also are you gonna be doing the tiling too?

ive just finished my tech level 2 and gone out on my own i charge ÂŁ30 FIRST HOUR ÂŁ20 THEIR after i have to pay the same bills as a time served plumber . and if i take longer than i should take i only charge for what it should have taken by a time served plumber

Is it a complete bathroom suite swap or just sink and basin? Also are you gonna be doing the tiling too?

Just bath tub and kitchen sink as far as I know. Will find out exactly what she's after tomorrow.

ive just finished my tech level 2 and gone out on my own i charge ÂŁ30 FIRST HOUR ÂŁ20 THEIR after i have to pay the same bills as a time served plumber . and if i take longer than i should take i only charge for what it should have taken by a time served plumber

Cheers for the info. Much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to a wage for a newbie? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I could do with some of your help please. Last September I started an intense City & Guilds Level 2 (6035) course, I finished/completed it...
Replies
Views
Shayno89
S
H
I'm a 31 yr old male 3 weeks into the level 2 City and Guilds certificate course. I trained as a Nurse in late teens and practiced until my mid...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock