Search the forum,

Discuss Is commercial plumbing a good move for a level 2 plumbing & heating diploma trained adult going through a career change? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Illuminate

illuminate
I am currently going through a career change to be a plumbing and heating engineer. I have completed a year long plumbing and heating diploma level 2 at college and have signed up with a assessor at the college. It has been hard to find a placement as most plumbers either don't want the responsibility of somebody new to the trade or not have a full time apprenticeship, as I have three kids and a mortgage and so I am only limited to two days a week on apprenticeship work. I did however finally find someone but out of area but now they have stopped work due to fear of covid. In the mean time a commercial plumbing company have responded to me and offered me a interview to be a commercial plumber working 7.30am to 17.30 monday to friday and after training eventually supply a van etc. I'm yet to find out if they will let me do my nvq level 2 with them and obviously they will not be able to sign me off all my nvq 2, being a commercial plumbing company but I can get the other person to let me evidence bath install etc. I think that I would enjoy domestic plumbing more and eventually after years of experience want to venture on my own but as this opportunity has come up, I think it seems like a positive career development? Do you think it is a good idea?

You will gain plumbing experience but if it’s not the type of work you want to do it may be going in the wrong direction.
I know what you mean and appreciate the advice but it has seemed very hard to find any other opportunities and I am 31 years old and so I have still got years to develop my skills. The company has existed for over 20 years and so they are professional and have must have enough money to invest in their staff. I'm thinking that eventually they will pay for additional training for me such as for gas after working there a while.

I did commercial plumbing and heating all my early working career right into my late forties it brought my kids up and we had a decent standard of living, its hard graft long hours and the health and safety rules in place make it challenging at times, it's interesting varied work and you do get alot of job satisfaction from creating something from scratch, now the down side ? Your graft is making someone else wealthy, your constantly under pressure to get jobs done, it's dirty cold and often your working in dark damp cramped conditions early morning starts and late night finishes possibly on call for emergency call outs once a month . My advice stick with domestic plumbing get the experience under your belt advertise your services for small plumbing repairs ball valves, Syphon, taps, kitchen sinks, rad valves anything that can be done in a day or two it's the only way to learn by actually doing the job you will eventually grow in confidence and be able to move on to larger installation work . Best of luck Kop

I did commercial plumbing and heating all my early working career right into my late forties it brought my kids up and we had a decent standard of living, its hard graft long hours and the health and safety rules in place make it challenging at times, it's interesting varied work and you do get alot of job satisfaction from creating something from scratch, now the down side ? Your graft is making someone else wealthy, your constantly under pressure to get jobs done, it's dirty cold and often your working in dark damp cramped conditions early morning starts and late night finishes possibly on call for emergency call outs once a month . My advice stick with domestic plumbing get the experience under your belt advertise your services for small plumbing repairs ball valves, Syphon, taps, kitchen sinks, rad valves anything that can be done in a day or two it's the only way to learn by actually doing the job you will eventually grow in confidence and be able to move on to larger installation work . Best of luck Kop
Thanks for the advice, I was thinking to only do this temporary, for about a year to gain my confidence and be in a better position to become a domestic plumber afterwards. I am also hoping to get my nvq 2 signed off with them but obviously some of the parts I am aware that I will have to do with a domestic plumber on the odd weekend in the year I potentially plan to be there. I know what you mean about doing some basic self employed work to gain experience, I have been thinking this and to do it for family and family friends but since the covid situation this seems like it will be difficult & I have just been thinking that this commercial plumbing job may give me the confidence I need. Do you you still have the same opinion?

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking to only do this temporary, for about a year to gain my confidence and be in a better position to become a domestic plumber afterwards. I am also hoping to get my nvq 2 signed off with them but obviously some of the parts I am aware that I will have to do with a domestic plumber on the odd weekend in the year I potentially plan to be there. I know what you mean about doing some basic self employed work to gain experience, I have been thinking this and to do it for family and family friends but since the covid situation this seems like it will be difficult & I have just been thinking that this commercial plumbing job may give me the confidence I need. Do you you still have the same opinion?
Only you can make that decision ,? you may be lucky and work with a good bunch who will show you the rope and get you trained up 🙂. Kop

As Gasmk1 says I would go for it
I learned my trade with construction firm that had there own plumbing/heating division (25 to 30 guys) we did everything! When I started we still were cutting glass glazing lead & copper roofing hospitals schools prisons cast above and below ground drainage and even some new build housing.
Invaluable experience stood me in good stead for the last 50 years!

Go for the interview and get a better feel for it.
Do they know you have no onsite experience?

I would go for it I left domestic gas after 11 years to go to commercial gas and found I enjoyed that side more. also you would still be plumbing so a lot of what you learn will be transferable if you want to go back to domestic.
Thanks for your comment, really appreciate it. Out of interest what is it about commercial gas that you preferred to domestic gas?

As Gasmk1 says I would go for it
I learned my trade with construction firm that had there own plumbing/heating division (25 to 30 guys) we did everything! When I started we still were cutting glass glazing lead & copper roofing hospitals schools prisons cast above and below ground drainage and even some new build housing.
Invaluable experience stood me in good stead for the last 50 years!
Really appreciate the comment. Wow that sounds like a very varied plumbing experience. Great help mate 👍

Thanks for your comment, really appreciate it. Out of interest what is it about commercial gas that you preferred to domestic gas?
to be honest customers and also not having to work in not so pleasant houses,
also I loved going into different factories or large properties also schools and hospitals just a lot more interesting places and the diversity of appliances, managing to work in places like vickers shipyards

Last edited:
to be honest customers and also not having to work in not so pleasant houses,
also I loved going into different factories or large properties also schools and hospitals just a lot more interesting places and the diversity of appliances, managing to work in places like vickers shipyards
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, I can imagine that is a big luxury not having to deal those difficult customers and avoiding unpleasant homes. I had to research vickers shipyards, very interesting! Thanks for the advice👍

I am currently going through a career change to be a plumbing and heating engineer. I have completed a year long plumbing and heating diploma level 2 at college and have signed up with a assessor at the college. It has been hard to find a placement as most plumbers either don't want the responsibility of somebody new to the trade or not have a full time apprenticeship, as I have three kids and a mortgage and so I am only limited to two days a week on apprenticeship work. I did however finally find someone but out of area but now they have stopped work due to fear of covid. In the mean time a commercial plumbing company have responded to me and offered me a interview to be a commercial plumber working 7.30am to 17.30 monday to friday and after training eventually supply a van etc. I'm yet to find out if they will let me do my nvq level 2 with them and obviously they will not be able to sign me off all my nvq 2, being a commercial plumbing company but I can get the other person to let me evidence bath install etc. I think that I would enjoy domestic plumbing more and eventually after years of experience want to venture on my own but as this opportunity has come up, I think it seems like a positive career development? Do you think it is a good idea?
I'm in the same situation I want to change my career and got assessment in college for plumbing level 2 daily but like you I've got mortgage, 1 in school 1 in uni ,wife only part time attm and I will loose my current job in 2 weeks coz work dropping .Is really hard to find company to get u under wings without prentice .Any advice what to do ,best way ? I'm in halifax west Yorkshire.

I can't answer your question, but some silly questions. Can you give your rough age and level of fitness (did your previous job get you fit). Plumbing is physically tough and e.g. demanding on the knees. Also during the week how far can you travel, e.g. could you work away from home?

I note at the moment a dearth of people in the hospitality industry, also truck (or van?) drivers. Guess they won't pay enough but might tide you over.

Best of luck.

Commercial experience/qualifications can also be really handy even in a domestic environment, for example it'll allow you to work on much larger properties that may require a commercial or cascade system as well as fully appreciate and understand the system protection that is often required.

Reply to Is commercial plumbing a good move for a level 2 plumbing & heating diploma trained adult going through a career change? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock