Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on gaining an apprenticeship/work experience as a 31 yr old? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HertsStudent

I'm a 31 yr old male 3 weeks into the level 2 City and Guilds certificate course. I trained as a Nurse in late teens and practiced until my mid twenties at which point I became an accountant/bookkeeper and have been slowly dying in front of a computer screen ever since.

Recently decided to take the plunge, save a bit of money, quit my job and embark on a career in plumbing. I'm loving the course, enjoying the usefulness of all I am learning and though I am aware that the prevailing opinion on the forum is that the market is over-saturated at the moment, I don't think it is different from any other career path so would appreciate if any such comments were kept to a minimum.

I am starting to feel the pressure of finding a job to gain some on site experience as my plan is to get on to the NVQ L2 course as soon as I am finished the cert lvl 2. My question is - does anyone have any advice as to how I can get a job/apprenticeship in the meantime? As far as I am aware, the rules regarding apprenticeships for someone of my age are different and most plumbers mate jobs are looking for full-time, experienced mates. I can't work full time as I'm in college 8-5 Monday-Wednesday and don't have any jobbing experience to speak of.

I'm beyond keen and my savings are getting pretty low. The wife is getting on my case as it's not easy living on just her wage and our dwindling savings.

I live in South Herts and don't drive (I'm learning atm but with money being tight, I am a bit stuck).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are companies out there who will be open minded and take on an older trainee. My company has recruited a 27 year old who is currently in his first year of his apprenticeship. He was under no illusion from the start that I expected much more of him than someone who was 16 from school. He has been on the living wage/minimum wage since the start but I am training him up to do gas and electrical work.

There are times when I've seriously questioned whether the money is well spent but I view him more as a longer term investment really.

In a year or so he will be doing most of my gas and electrical work which will free me up to expand my business.

You have no right to anything over £3.30 per hour in the first year of an apprenticeship, no matter how old you are. After that, living wage applies to you.

Realistically you will need a driving license - when the 17 year olds coming through the door to apply for apprenticeships all have one you need to be looking a lot more attractive to your employer than they do.

Hope some of this helps.

Best of luck with what you are trying to do, these days you need a driving licence , you must have an idea by now the amount of tools you need to carry with you, as for getting on an apprentice-ship well good luck with that, if you do get one , can you live on what you will be earning for the next few years ? nothing much is going to happen in the building trade for a few years yet, most contracts have been put on hold until the government get there finger out with leaving Europe , then they need to start a massive house building project, By the time that happens I'll be long dead and you will be retiring from work.

Thanks for the responses gents. Yea I am in the process of getting a license - I've always worked in the city and never needed a license, getting one now won't be too much of a problem.

My other half is earning well, we just need something coming in from me in the meantime as a cushion.

Thanks again!

Hi hertsstudent, I'll be honest with you I would not consider taking anyone on without a driving license. I think that should be a priority for you. You have to make yourself as appealing as possible if someone is going to invest there time training you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on gaining an apprenticeship/work experience as a 31 yr old? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock