Discuss A real brain teaser, its got me beat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Derek-Has the toilet sistern got a conventional overflow onit or is it one of those that if you get an overflow situation it connects into the toilet and goes down the soil stack ? if its the 2nd one it may be overflowing into the toilet without you noticing it.

Hi Derek-Has the toilet sistern got a conventional overflow onit or is it one of those that if you get an overflow situation it connects into the toilet and goes down the soil stack ? if its the 2nd one it may be overflowing into the toilet without you noticing it.

One of the first things I checked, conventional BV, with a isolation vale (I shut that off) but the over flow goes out on to a flat roof, not leaks there or wet spots

Have you bent the pipe anywhere?

Daft I know, but, some 30 years ago I fitted a new kitchen. New pipe leaked. There was a pinhole in a brand new length of copper pipe. If you had a bad piece of pipe and put a bend on it it could just leak at that point. Just a thought. Anyone else ever had a bad piece of pipe??

right you will have to ; open all 3 valves to pressurise the system , then close valve 1 and monitor the pressure in the system if it drops you have defo got a leak then once that is established its a case of doing each one seperate untill you track it down.

Have you bent the pipe anywhere?

Daft I know, but, some 30 years ago I fitted a new kitchen. New pipe leaked. There was a pinhole in a brand new length of copper pipe. If you had a bad piece of pipe and put a bend on it it could just leak at that point. Just a thought. Anyone else ever had a bad piece of pipe??

Only bend I pulled was to get it in the ceiling from the kitchen into the bathroom (the boards are up) I then put in a pushfit connector, then a short to pick up a T to supply the bath, then from the other end of the T to pick up the HB and WC

But even with a pinhole, there would be some sign of it, ie water puddle, damp patch

How fast is the meter going round when only valves 1 & 3 are open, I would have thought if it is a drip type leak then you would not notice the meter moving by eye but only over a period of time. Cane you close valve 3 and open valve 2 and then some tap and try and replicate the meter speed to give an idea as to what sort of volume we are talking about. In addition where do you live? There may be a member that lives nearby who could pop round and give a second opinion.

right you will have to ; open all 3 valves to pressurise the system , then close valve 1 and monitor the pressure in the system if it drops you have defo got a leak then once that is established its a case of doing each one seperate untill you track it down.

Hah, not daft, done all that

I can confirm that when no 1 is open and no 2, there are NO leaks (the meter dont move)

When no 1 is open and no 3 is open, the taps are shut, the BV is shut, the meter turns, but no water shows anywhere, my tissue paper on each joint is dry

Tomorrow, when I go back, I will be disconnecting the bath/HB/WC and putting a cap on all 3, then turning on the No 1 valve, then I will know that the taps and BV arent leaking

Apart from changing the new pipe I have put in, there is nothing else I can think of

How fast is the meter going round when only valves 1 & 3 are open, I would have thought if it is a drip type leak then you would not notice the meter moving by eye but only over a period of time. Cane you close valve 3 and open valve 2 and then some tap and try and replicate the meter speed to give an idea as to what sort of volume we are talking about. In addition where do you live? There may be a member that lives nearby who could pop round and give a second opinion.

I have had 2 blokes I used to work with come round (not including the 3 valleys bloke) they are as snooked as everyone here, they have done everything suggested here and the same thing I have done

The meter moves slowly, not sure how to measure how much of a flow though

WHEN i had a temporary meter fitted last month as I thought there might be a water leak I found out that there wasn't - a natural spring in the garden.

I asked the waterboard engineer how sensitive the meters were. He said ' set a tap dripping and have a look'. I set a kitchen tap dripping at about a drip every 4 seconds and we could see the little star shaped wheel quiver as it very slowly moved. Obviously could not measure the units.

So they are very sensitive IMO

But nothing is dripping,

I have a container wired under the taps in the bathroom (thank god the people arent there)

They are dry, with tissue paper in them :)

There is on the meter a small cog, that turns, this is what I am gauging this all on, the numbers go up (dunno what the hell they are, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A real brain teaser, its got me beat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock