Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Wobbly standpipes by my freestanding bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

discostewart

FREESTANDING BATH TAPS ARE WOBBLY

Hi newbie here, wondered if someone can share views on stand pipes...

The stand pipes attached to my bath taps feel wobbly. They dont move too much but any pressure and i feel you could snap them. Im not sure if its a design fault or just bad fitting?

Ive asked the plumber to try refitting them twice but they are the same. The fitting kit supplied by Crosswater is for concrete (I rang them and they confirmed this, not many upstairs bathrooms that applies to was my reply). So, he has screwed down (wood screws) into the 12mm plywood and then throught the floorboards below. And attached washers to steady them. He says we cant go much further down due to pipework beneath.
The tiles havent gone in round around my standpipes for my bath yet. So im hoping i could find a way to solve this. Is this just the accepted problem with standpipes (ie they are high and thin so will always have leverage) or can something better be done? I looked for some kind of bracing kit but found nothing.

ellow m8 u ok?if the pipework is not in view you could make a lil platform to clip them to.

but sounds like summat needs sowting othawise if the pipes r loose wi that pressure of water streamin through will rock the pipework an u'll hear it thud then eventually ul ave got a leak :confused:

I've seen a neat bracket that joins standpipes to the overflow pipe like a t-bar with three loops - possibly V&B or V&A? This links it all together towards the top. Don;t know if compatible with ur crosswater though

its a question of leverage the stand pipes are usually a bout 2 foot high and fixed by a back nut into a three quarter inch board so the board flexes if the pipework is plastic it makes it worse .Ive in the past over come this problem either with steel plates in the floor to stiffen the flooring or using a length of steel pipe under the floor
This is probably why victorians gave up on pillars 100 years ago and fixed the taps to the bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wobbly standpipes by my freestanding bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi folks. I've noticed recently that water is dripping from my Megaflow overflow pipe outside coinciding with the time the heating turns on to...
Replies
Views
P
Good evening and thanks for taking time to read my first post.. So I get a phonecall from my downstairs neighbour today to say there's water...
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
G
Some friends are building an extension and want me to fit a bathroom in one of the rooms. No a problem, expect they did the classic of buying...
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
R
Hi, I'm looking for some advice if possible. I have recently bought a freestanding bath with freestanding pipes which will sit at the side...
Replies
Views
rikm1
R
G
Hi everyone, This a plea for a solution to avoid work (and expense). The problems are the acrylic bath taps on a lovely(?) avocado 1970s...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock