Discuss The fitting of stand pipes on a concrete floor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gingerbread Man

Some friends are building an extension and want me to fit a bathroom in one of the rooms. No a problem, expect they did the classic of buying everything for the bathroom without asking any advice and now I've a pig of a job on my hands. Yippee!

So the freestanding bath they've bought has [DLMURL="http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10151&catalogId=1500001201&langId=110&searchTerms=stand+pipe&authToken="]floor standing taps via stand pipes[/DLMURL]. The floor is concrete and I had a look at them today which to be honest has left me a little puzzled.

I've recently fitted some Crosswater free standing taps/ stand pipes and the pipes came with ~60cm long flexible pipes. Once connected to the tap tails, the flexibles stuck out 30mm from the stand pipes. Using this with a wooden floor, I could take advantage of void under the floor.

However, these Homebase specials, don't come with any flexible pipes. Fine I could buy some. But I don't have the luxury of having the void below the floorboards to connect up the pipes.

Any ideas? They've come with no instructions, but the previous Crosswater stand pipes came with coach bolts, so being concrete floor fixings, I'm assuming there is a way to sort out this problem?

David

Last edited by a moderator:
fitted some which had no flexible tails the solid tube was in two pieces screwed both ends with plate at bottom. to fit put solid pipework in concrete with tails bolt down plate. slide solid tube on to pipes (these two pieces slide in each other )cut pipework to fit, pull tubes apart and screw together to form a solid tube hope this helps

I think I've got you. Are you saying that the stand pipes that you fitted were telescopic? So a copper 22mm feed with tap connector, connect it up then extend the tubes to the tap and floor?

These aren't telescopic. The pipes have the floor mounting built into them as one piece, so the screws are on show, nice. There is a collar at the top which comes out of the stand pipes via an allen key grub screw. This bush if you'd like winds onto the tails from the tap. Once wound on it leaves enough for a tap connector to connect onto the bottom of the tail. This can then be pushed back into the stand pipe and allen keyed in so give a flush taps to stand pipe look.

Ideally I need to be able to have play on the pipes feeding the tap. Screw the stand pipes over the pipes to the floor. Pull the 22mm feeds up through, connect to the taps, then push back down so that the taps slide into the stand pipes. Allen key them on and wollah. But I have no play.

maybe create void in concrete floor or use plastic pipes in sleeves and pull back to a connection point

I think it'd have to be quite a big void to get that much play on the pipes. I'm thinking that I might have to tell them to change their plans regarding taps?

Get them to take the stuff back to Homebase and get the correct gear.

Due to being mounted on a solid floor, I've seen this type of tap fitted to a sort of low wooden box (nicely made and varnished etc) so that there was enough space underneath to get the pipe entry into them. It looked ok in a Victorian style bathroom with claw foot bath etc.

May be more faffing around than you want though :)

thats an idea, box in the waste and just extend it to accommodate the tap feeds

Boxing in underneath would basicly create the same effect as a wooden floor with a void beneath it. so I see what everyone is saying..... Not possible with a solid substrate floor.

That seems to be the bottom line doesn't it.

yes you wont get the necessary movement in the feeds inside the standpipes with a solid floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The fitting of stand pipes on a concrete floor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, first post here So I have been boxing in a number of heating pipes that are throughout my garage since the boiler was located there by...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Bit of advice needed. Waste water pipe from bathroom sink came loose last night caused some water damage to ceiling below. My question...
Replies
Views
Hello, I need some advise, will greatly appreciate if someone can help. My mixer tap is leaking from base want to renew it. However the tap...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back