Discuss Toilet bowl connected to Uralite pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dubman

Hi, This is a toilet bowl, which was not properly installed - there seem to be gaps in the silicone, where the bowl connects to the waste pipe, which looks like some kind of uralite to me. In fact there doesn't seem to be any leaking, but there is some odour. So I was thinking of some easy way to solve this, short of re-installing the toilet. My question is, do you think it would work if I first apply something like American tape tightly around the waste pipe, so that new a new silicone bead would have something to adhere to? Or I wonder if a little gloss paint on the uralite might also work? Thank you.

you can either have a proper plumber into do a decent job or carry on botching as described

Thank you for the reply. I agree that the proper solution would be re-installing the toilet bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like an episode of BBC's Changing Rooms with Carol Smillie where neighbours do up each others house.

This woman ended up with a basement turned into a gothic dining room, she hated it.

But while it was being done there was a hole in the ceiling about the size of a large hand print, their solution was to cover it with brown 2" packing tape then paint over it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing that brown 2" packing tape should be used for other than boxes is taping people to chairs and taping them to a RSJ outside at about 3am.

Working in factories has got it's plus points, they can be a right laugh, and it was fun being taped up especially when they came out to see if I was alright and I was gone, they s*** themselves:p:p they were looking everywhere.

But I could only get so far taped to a wheeled office chair, they grabbed me and taped me back up, couldn't figure out how I got out again either as they used even more tape than before.:D:D:D

Or should I have posted the second half in the correct forum:p, this is a local shop for local people.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi The pipe you describe is probable pitch fiber. Why not remove pan and refit using a multikwik?

If this toilet bowl was in my own house, I would just remove it and re-install it properly - there may be different views about how to connect to an asbestos pipe - in this case the cistern is about 1,5 / 2 inches from the back wall, so at least 2 inches would need to be sawn off the asbestos pipe as well. I would probably stick an adaptor inside the asbestos pipe , possibly (carefully) with rapid cement or really good silicone (some of you may have better suggestions?), and then insert the toilet bowl as normal, using a rubber ring, (if space permitted).
But since I don´t think the person responsible for the flat wants to do the job, I thought if I could do some workaround that wouldn't damage anything...like a little tape, to block off the odour (though an odour in itself is definitely reason enough for re-installing the bowl). So yes, of course I absolutely agree, the toilet *should definitely be removed and installed properly. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet bowl connected to Uralite pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This maybe isn't so much about asking for advice as giving it 🤔 I had a leaking HW cylinder (23 years old) that I got fed up patching up with...
Replies
Views
Good Evening all, I really hope someone can assist me with a solution to this problem. We are currently installing a waste system on a boat that...
Replies
Views
Hello, First of all, I need to say that I know nothing, absolutely nothing to plumbing. I am posting in this forum because I am losing my wits...
Replies
Views
I
Hi Black water tank keeps filling up and water comes out the overflow from outside. It is coming in from the bottom pipe which is the outlet pipe...
Replies
Views
illumini
I
T
Hi there. I'm replacing an existing toilet in our downstairs cloakroom. The soil connector on the base of the new toilet is quite a bit higher...
Replies
Views
sheff paul
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock