Search the forum,

Discuss Awkward pipe installation in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

RAS

Good Evening all,

I really hope someone can assist me with a solution to this problem.

We are currently installing a waste system on a boat that has a permanent mooring, It will not be leaving this position. We have a large waste pump located downstairs with a 110mm black waste pipe coming out of it, this is the main waste pipe.

Our current issue is with the transition between the shore and the boat. Currently there is a pipe (I think it is an old pump pipe) with a male nylon coupling on the end, I measured the pipes OD at 60mm?? I am unable to measure the internal, and im not sure on the thread size, TPI etc (This fitting can be removed to fit an alternative better solution).

To add to the madness, my boss wants to make sure that we can gain access if there was ever a blockage, hes initial idea was to have an overflow. This overflow would be an extra pipe that can bypass the waste whilst we can work on the system at the transition if there was ever a problem, and not have to shut down the toilets. This extra pipe would dangle of the side of the boat and go straight into the river, he changed hes mind after I said its illegal and could suffer a great fine. not to mention its just wrong.

Solution?
I am wondering what the best solution would be to connect the 110mm waste with this threaded fitting. I can replace this fitting with an alternative fitting if that solves the problem. However, Ive searched reducers and all manner and type of fitting that I think might work but I cannot find any way that a 110mm can fit to a 60mm pump pipe, it seems they are incompatible on every level. I found some slurry cam valves but they just have barbed ends that fit on to another 60mm pipe.

I have added some pictures to show the concept as my description is not very good.

I look forward to receiving some great Ideas or suffering shocking embarrassment, through my ineptitude at understanding black water concepts.
Anyway again thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20200917_110444.jpg
    20200917_110444.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 15
  • waste pipe Diagram.jpg
    waste pipe Diagram.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 15
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-17 at 08.30.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-17 at 08.30.45.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-17 at 09.20.31.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-17 at 09.20.31.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 15
is it 110mm plastic waste pipe if so you can look at a 110 x 50mm reducer then take it from there

So many questions.

Is this a DIY job for your own boat?
Or are you being paid to do the work?
If last answer is yes, what experience do you or your Boss have on similar installations?

How big is this boat in terms of numbers of people likely to be on it?
If it's not your own boat is there a business working on it / from it?

Is there a waste waster storage tank and the pump empties that as it fills or does the pump start whenever waste water is generated?
A pump that need a 110mm outlet would move a massive amount of water, what fresh water supply do you have into the boat?
Where does the discharge for the boat go to on land?

Hi gasmk1,
Thanks for the reply, that's what was there before but it leaked like crazy, unfortunately that flexi pipe on the wall is not pvc and cannot be glued. and being a commercial vessel, it would fail the health and safety certification. What about the green and yellow pipe in the picture with that nylon fitting? does that look at all familiar?

Thanks Again.
RAS
[automerge]1600688797[/automerge]
So many questions.

Is this a DIY job for your own boat?
Or are you being paid to do the work?
If last answer is yes, what experience do you or your Boss have on similar installations?

How big is this boat in terms of numbers of people likely to be on it?
If it's not your own boat is there a business working on it / from it?

Is there a waste waster storage tank and the pump empties that as it fills or does the pump start whenever waste water is generated?
A pump that need a 110mm outlet would move a massive amount of water, what fresh water supply do you have into the boat?
Where does the discharge for the boat go to on land?
Howdie,
Its a commercial vessel, yes we have installed similar systems (but not with a pump pipe to join as can be seen in the picture), people capacity is 2-300 so a lot, it is going to be a business establishment also, the discharge goes straight to mains, it used to be on septic many years ago but it was all swapped out due to capacity issues. The pump is Mega, about 10,000 litres an hour at full cap. It can shoot Rubbish for miles. Fresh water also comes from mains.

could you tell me how this information ties to the initial problem.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Good Evening all,

I really hope someone can assist me with a solution to this problem.

We are currently installing a waste system on a boat that has a permanent mooring, It will not be leaving this position. We have a large waste pump located downstairs with a 110mm black waste pipe coming out of it, this is the main waste pipe.

I look forward to receiving some great Ideas or suffering shocking embarrassment, through my ineptitude at understanding black water concepts.
Anyway again thanks in advance.
Would really like to see this large waste tank & pump that you have if you can post a photo and include the make and model of the pump.
How big is this boat? Most boat systems have a 60 or 80mm pipe and for a pump to work on 110mm it must be up to the job hence my questions. The ribbed pipe in the last photo is of the kind found on boat pump-out systems (sucking out to tanker or tank) and to connect to that you will need something such as the slurry-tanker/fittings/italian-female-coupling I but don`t know how to connect that to your 110mm without having something fabricated.

Is it in a tidal situation?
i.e. is the boat going to go up and down relative to the land?
If so, how much?
This has potential disaster written all over it if not done correctly.

If so, how much?
At the moment it is sounding like a hybrid of domestic and boat equipment but until the tank & pump details are known that is guesswork on my part.

Would really like to see this large waste tank & pump that you have if you can post a photo and include the make and model of the pump.
How big is this boat? Most boat systems have a 60 or 80mm pipe and for a pump to work on 110mm it must be up to the job hence my questions. The ribbed pipe in the last photo is of the kind found on boat pump-out systems (sucking out to tanker or tank) and to connect to that you will need something such as the slurry-tanker/fittings/italian-female-coupling I but don`t know how to connect that to your 110mm without having something fabricated.
Hi,
Thanks for that, I can get some pictures over to you soon I'm due to visit at some point either today or tomorrow. However that side of things works, we have never had a 'problem' as such with the pump/110mm pipe compatibility.
[ For context, by boat I mean more of a floating vessel, every original working part has been stripped (A long time ago), there is no engine or intrinsic pump system, everything has been retrofitted to suit our needs. including the waste pump which has been designed for a 110mm pipe. (Ill get the information).]

"The ribbed pipe in the last photo is of the kind found on boat pump-out systems (sucking out to tanker or tank) and to connect to that you will need something such as the slurry-tanker/fittings/italian-female-coupling I but don`t know how to connect that to your 110mm without having something fabricated."

There in fact lies the issue. I am stuck. I thought of fabricating a box type system with a tank connector either side to suit 110mm which I can source (although its from a pond website, so not sure if it is suited for waste) and the boat pump out pipe (I cannot find a tank connector for this anywhere only what you previously suggested slurry-tanker/fittings/italian-female-coupling).

Any advice or suggestions on this part of the matter will be welcome, however if I'm also Soding in the wind, please don't be shy tell me like it is.

Thank you
[automerge]1600691827[/automerge]
Is it me or is there auto replace on certain descriptive words? Fascists!! joke
[automerge]1600698456[/automerge]
If so, how much?
At the moment it is sounding like a hybrid of domestic and boat equipment but until the tank & pump details are known that is guesswork on my part.

Yes it does go up and down relative to land, the flex-pump-pipe moves according to the position of the boat, this type of system is common on certain types of moored vessels and we have never had an issue with that.

With regards to the type of pump, why is this information necessary? The issue is at the transition between boat and shore, it is not located near the pump. The pump is at the beginning of the line, the shore transition is at the end. It would not make any difference in my opinion to know the type of pump as it is not a part of the problem. It can be used for domestic purposes but is a bit overkill, this particular one is a commercial pump.

The problem is trying to fit a 110mm waste pipe to a 60mm flex pump pipe. considering, after much research I cannot find a fitting that would be suitable in terms of pressure, bar fabricating some monster, I'm at a loss.

Thanks for all your help as well, much appreciated

Last edited:
So if you have never had a problem before then ask yourselves why a problem now.

So if you have never had a problem before then ask yourselves why a problem now.
Sir,
Thank you for the reply.
I can see how my message can confuse.
The previous system was by no means perfect. When we had a blockage, it was an ordeal just to get the connection separated, silicone was our best friend at the time. My reason for asking questions regarding this issue, in this forum is because I am not a professional plumber, I hoped that someone had dealt with a similar issue in the past and could share some wisdom.
(by common on other types of types of boats. other boats tend to be connected to septic tanks and have a different piping system all together)

cheers

Reply to Awkward pipe installation in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock