Search the forum,

Discuss SVP Poblem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seagulls

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I've got a problem with my house in Spain.
About 2 years ago I had an exra bathroom added to my single story property and the existing bathroom renewed by a Bulgarian building company(big mistake and no longer contactable).
From the start 1 of the toilets never worked properly. It would fill up and drain slowly taking nothing with it. The toilet in the new bathroom has always worked ok untill recently.
First the level of water in the bottom of the toilet pan in the existing bathroom kept emptying after flushing slowly away so I called in a Dyno Rod Type firm who jetted it through. It still wasnt working properly but now the other toilet is doing the same,perhaps worse and the shower and sink is also draining slowly. I have taken the toilet of the connector and shot water down and the pipe backs up.
The property has never had a svp and it would be awkward to put 1 in now although I might be able to squeeze under the floor by cutting a hole in my outside wall and bringing a pipe through but does this sound like the problem?

I would think that its time to get the shovel out, and start digging along the drain run, odds on that its a drain collapse, tree roots, full up septic tank or just a pipe ending in nothing

I'm a plumber living in Spain, and concur with the previous comments - don't know which area you are in, but drains destroyed by roots, or collapsed due to poor construction, particularly in older properties not uncommon - the jetting companies normally also have cameras - they should have been able to check this out for you - then u know where to put the shovel (so to speak!)
The other thought is - are u actually connected to a main sewer system? many older (again) properties rely on cess pits - that traditionally "drain away" - ie not water proof. It may be the water now can't get away and its backing up

Thanks for your replies.
My properties in the Torrevieja, Costa Blanca area.
The jetting guy's gunner come back and stick a camera down next time I'm over in 2 weeks but when he jetted it he must have pumped gallons down and it and it didnt back up so it must have gone somewhere.
I'm pretty sure its connected to a main drain but there a lack of manholes.

The jetting might have cleared the drain for a time, but it only needs a rough bit inside the bottom of the pipe to start a blockage

I went to a blocked first floor toilet once, it was cast iron drain, with a cast iron chamber in a false floor, at ground floor level, the access was about 3' square and it was about 18" below the floor, just deep enough so that you could sit on the floor to undo the chambers nuts

I eased the nuts off to start with expecting to have water come out of the chamber, , after gently removing the lid of the chamber, I found out that it was blocked solid half way down the chamber

There was a nib of cast iron about the size of a pencil point, in the invert of the chamber, this snagged a piece of toilet paper at first, and that's how the blockage started, and it became so compacted that it held back the water and what was also in the water, there was about 12 feet head of water behind the blockage, and the solid plug whilst soft and could be trowle'd out, still held the water back for a time, but when it did blow, did it blow:D, toilet paper **** and tea leaves every where

could also be a negative backflow too with blockage.
jets through backs up then blocks again.

I would think that its time to get the shovel out, and start digging along the drain run, odds on that its a drain collapse, tree roots, full up septic tank or just a pipe ending in nothing

its a classic sh*t!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to SVP Poblem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock