Discuss How to install a brass cold water tap in right angle same time is tight? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iwico

Hi

I tring to install a brass water tap on my garden sink, but there is a problem, I add 1-2 layer of seal tape (white color very thin) on screw part of brass tap, turning it into a brass tap connector, then tight it up. The problem is: when the tap and the connector are in tightest position, the tap is not in right angle (the mouth of tape should point to ground).

If I make the mouth of tap point to ground, it may be not in tightest position (I have turn it back little for a right angle, the connection is not in tightest condition). So how could fix the tap both in tight connection and the tap is in right angle. In other words, how to control the tap's angle before start the job? How to control the tape is in right angle and the connection is tight?

Thanks

Is that "seal tape" PTFE? If it is that's the correct tape to use but you need to wrap the tap around its thread at least 12 times, maybe 15 or so. I wrap until the thread starts to "vanish" under the tape. Once or twice just won't work as you need to make the thread wider. (Not a design fault.)

If this fails, just try again. It's a knack to learn and once done 3-4 times it's simples.

I use 25 wraps for outside taps, Iam a poet and I know it.

You could always use Loctite 55, it allows you to reposition the tap to get it straight.

[DLMURL="http://www.NoLinkingToThis/search.do;jsessionid=RZMI2WAEWPZGOCSTHZOSFFQ?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=loctite+55"]Loctite 55 Pipe Seal Cord 50m - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I tring to install a brass water tap on my garden sink, but there is a problem, I add 1-2 layer of seal tape (white color very thin) on screw part of brass tap, turning it into a brass tap connector, then tight it up. The problem is: when the tap and the connector are in tightest position, the tap is not in right angle (the mouth of tape should point to ground).

If I make the mouth of tap point to ground, it may be not in tightest position (I have turn it back little for a right angle, the connection is not in tightest condition). So how could fix the tap both in tight connection and the tap is in right angle. In other words, how to control the tap's angle before start the job? How to control the tape is in right angle and the connection is tight?

Thanks
dozen turns of ptfe turn till tight turn back one turn and add more ptfe to the gap retighten to where you want

Dunno. I just grab a couple of handfulls of tape when I'm in the yard.

Then get chased out by our stockman asking how many rolls I've got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to install a brass cold water tap in right angle same time is tight? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock