Discuss Honeywell thermostatic rad values problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

georgeturner

Hi All

Last week I had installed three new rads (all in the same area) - one with a Drayton and two with Honeywell thermostatic rad values (all others in the house are Drayton thermo valves).

The problem is the Honeywell valves don't properly shut off.... ever, when in the cold/off position (unlike the new Drayton which shuts off when set to about 2 on the dial... like my others) - it appears that the thermostatic head is the issue as they shut off totally when the complete shut-off plastic top is screwed on instead. So its not the valve pin getting stuck.

Am I missing something or have I got two duff valves?

George

Hi All

Last week I had installed three new rads (all in the same area) - one with a Drayton and two with Honeywell thermostatic rad values (all others in the house are Drayton thermo valves).

The problem is the Honeywell valves don't properly shut off.... ever, when in the cold/off position (unlike the new Drayton which shuts off when set to about 2 on the dial... like my others) - it appears that the thermostatic head is the issue as they shut off totally when the complete shut-off plastic top is screwed on instead. So its not the valve pin getting stuck.

Am I missing something or have I got two duff valves?

George
These Honeywell valves do not have a definite off position, that is what the decorating cap is for.Have you kept the instructions which came in the box?
I don't think they are faulty, just doing exactly what they were designed to do

Thanks, but I wasn't given the instructions .... they were fitted as part of a large project. However this does not make sense as with these valves its impossible to keep the temperature of the room at a reasonable/comfortable level (they only begin to shut off when set at the minimum level (*) when the room is well over 20 deg C), however all this is easily possible with the Drayton valves. No wonder all the BG thermo valves we have are re-badged Draytons.

Therefore I think these Honywell valves will have to be replaced.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe the pin in the thermostatic head used to be adjustable,if you extend slightly will correct problem

You will need to set them up properly. Ask for the instructions or you may be able to download them from the Honeywell website.

The instructions in the box tell you the temperatures at different settings. I think changing these valves would be a mistake, as with all things Honeywell, they are top quality

Thanks all for the help and replies.

The plumber came round today.. splendid chap, and found that the thermo head of the trvs had not been clicked down properly. It appears that the head has to be located down into a notch on the valve body.

They now seem to be working well.

If anyone has the manual that comes with these valves in pdf I would very much like a copy. I couldn't find it on the Honeywell site, only a sort of sales leaflet that had no real info and nothing about locating the head onto the base etc.

Rgds., George

I would have expected your plumber to identify the problem earlier when he balanced your radiators immediately after fitting the TRVs, without waiting for you to have to find it out for yourself.

Er, well, actually he did come back and reposition the value heads and then all appeared ok... but last evening the problem was back again.

I'll keep you posted but I have to say that compared to Drayton I'm not impressed.

George

Well in the end one of the valve thermo heads was replaced and since then that rad has been ok - ie. no overheating. I'm not entirely convinced that the other one is ok as it gets slightly warm (not hot) when it shouldn't. It seems that these trvs are not always perfect.

Rgds., George

Thanks for keeping us updated George
Makes you wonder how many thermostatic valves are out there not working correctly
Put on to increase efficiency but many people(and engineers), unlike yourself, do not check if they are working correctly
Would be interesting to test the different makes and see their reliability and check their calibration, then also test them again after 5 years of operation, we get quite a few which are stuck closed, how many stick slightly open

Well in the end one of the valve thermo heads was replaced and since then that rad has been ok - ie. no overheating. I'm not entirely convinced that the other one is ok as it gets slightly warm (not hot) when it shouldn't. It seems that these trvs are not always perfect.

Rgds., George
I always fit Honeywell TRVs (VT200) if the customer is willing to pay for them.
I will keep an eye on the ones I fit now to make sure they are working properly.
Do you know what model no. your dodgy valves are?

Hi Ockyvines,

The ones I had fitted as part of an installation deal (I had not choice in this matter relating to valve or rad type) are the Honeywell VT200 (I identified these from their web site) - one of which was clearing working intermittently, even on the * setting the room was boiling... thankfully not any more.

Cheers, George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Honeywell thermostatic rad values problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice so I can try and save a bit of money this winter (especially considering the new prices!) I have an...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, (not sure if my last post worked so apologies if this is a duplicate). I have an Ideal Boiler (vogue max system 18) and a MegaFlo...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, I've got a woodburning stove with a back boiler that I cant quite figure out. Last year it was heating the water but not the radiators...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock