Search the forum,

Discuss Google Nest Central heating control how to improve? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the hall and 1 standard TRV in shower room, a thermo syphon towel rail in bathroom a cistern connected to same thermo syphon supply and 9 programmable TRV heads 5 x eQ-3, 3 x Energenie, and one Kasa. All electrics are either battery of supplied from a UPS in the flat where the boiler is, there is no 230 for control in main house, just the 12 volt to the Nest wall thermostat.

I was told that Nest worked with Energenie but it seems support was withdrawn when it became Google.

My problem is a cool living room, clearly the TRV's can only work when the boiler is running, and the hall seems to change what heat it calls for depending if cool or darn cold outside. So if cool and I set Nest to increase temperature through day at 0.5ºC every 2 hours all seems to work A1, but on a cold day living room remains cold and boiler is cycling, However on a cold day if I set hall thermostat to 20ºC in morning then again living room OK but with same setting on a cool day the heating turns off due to hall too warm.

I have turned hall radiator TRV down so wall thermostat continues to work, but it shows 16ºC when set at 15ºC and radiator cold, clearly heat getting into hall from other rooms, cats don't help as doors left cracked open or cats claw at carpet.

I think some where there is a hidden by-pass valve, as any attempt to set the lock shield valves boiler cycles and no radiator getting hot, but return to boiler is hot, pump and motorised valve is on the return.

It seems likely best option is a second thermostat in parallel, clearly would need to be wireless. Ideal would be one which will link to TRV heads, or at least some way to fire boiler if living room cold.

I have been in house 4 years, and noted the temperature sensors released for USA Nest and hoped would be released for UK Nest but as yet no sign. I see there was a thermostat from tapo which is also part of TP-Link as well as Kasa and interconnection between the two seems to increase every month, so maybe I can get a thermostat to work with Kasa, the Energenie thermostat is not wireless so is out.

I already have zigbee for lighting, so maybe Hive is an option, but not sure if my zigbee hub will work, so maybe better with Wiser in parallel with Nest, the DHW is only heated with oil in winter, no control in summer use the iboost+ and heat with spare solar.

It would be nice to have internet control on second thermostat, so if cost internet v non internet is small worth paying extra,, but a wireless thermostat which is cheap then that's a cheap quick fix.

I can't get new wires flat to main house, so must be wireless, wiring at moment is C_Plan_My_HouseD-relay.jpgI can run main house without flat due to relay, but not the other way around, but since never likely to want flat heated and not house, never fitted a second relay.

Reply to Google Nest Central heating control how to improve? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
HI folks, this post is a follow up to my post relating to my single pipe heating system. In summary, I have a house built in 1980 (I bought it 2 years ago) that had a single pipe heating system but over the years there have been some changes made to the system that meant it didn't work. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock