Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant Ecotec system boiler with VR66 and Opentherm (VR33 and Nest) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs.

Overall, I fully recommend moving away from a simple S plan to weather compensation and intelligent controls. It enables energy savings in a few different ways.
Benefits:
  • Allows modulation/ weather compensation for CH. CH should be kept as low as possible to enable the boiler to condense and modulate.
  • Allows DHW priority, at a higher temperature. This leads to faster charging via a dedicated DHW charge temperature (Note: DHW charging temperature is set on boiler in the D.078, not on Nest)
  • Pump overrun works to dissipate any leftover heat. In S plan mode, the valves close when there is no demand for heat, which means the boiler uses the bypass to cool down rather than the radiators. With the VR66, the valves are kept open and the heat is dissipated faster and used to heat your rooms.
  • Better boiler modulation in CH. I have noticed that on eBus/Opentherm, for a given heating temperature (e.g. 50), the boiler no longer rushes to produces that exact flow temperature as soon as it turns on. Rather, it is happy to keep the burner on a lower setting and gradually build up to the temperature.
  • Better boiler modulation in DHW, using the cylinder sensor rather than on/off signal. The boiler fires up differently when it knows the temperature in the cylinder (VR10 NTC sensor required). Also, you can set the target DHW temperature in Nest when the NTC is installed.
Steps taken:
  • Opentherm: this helps with weather compensation and modulation but you need to order the VR33 from this Dutch site (£70) and install it on the PCB at X31. There is also a UK stockist now. Wire this up to the OT1+OT2 terminals as shown in the instructions. For reference, Opentherm polarity does not matter.
  • Thermostat. I have the Nest learning thermostat, which allows you to set the max temperature for heating, and the target temperature for DHW. It does not allow you to configure weather compensation or any other temperature curve. Any other OpenTherm thermostats should work equally well. For example, the Salus one allows you to set min and max temperatures for heating.
  • VR66 (cost £100): This may be optional for combi boilers, but for system boilers, it is required. Without the VR66, the boiler does not fire when there was DHW demand from Nest, even though Nest was opening the valves. The instructions for wiring VR66 are self explanatory but once it is connected you need to bridge the RT24 terminals and remove any other connection to Nest or your S Plan box (i.e. remove RT240). Note: you just need the Earth, blue and brown wires from your valves. If you are confused about wires 4+5 coming from your valves, these are not required for wiring the VR66 - they are only used in the S plan box to tell the boiler when a valve is actually open.

Hope this helps people! I also hope gas engineers stop installing S plan with smart thermostats; it is so wasteful and inefficient (as discussed by this engineer here)

Great summary and well done for getting it working.

Just a clarification.
  • in bullet 2 you state - (Note: DHW charging temperature is set on boiler in the D.078, not on Nest)
  • in bullet 5 you state - you can set the target DHW temperature in Nest when the NTC is installed.

Is that just because of the VR10 ? Can you post any pictures for the Nest Flow Temps control ? I’ve never seen this capability.

Many thanks

Reply to Vaillant Ecotec system boiler with VR66 and Opentherm (VR33 and Nest) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock