Discuss Glow worm self cut out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CozyDog

Hi
My glow worm boiler has been a trusty servant keeping us cosy through many cold winters but it is probably coming to the end of its life now (its about 15yrs old). I was hoping it would see me through until the summer when the weather is warmer and I will be off work, but it went out about a week ago. This is nothing new but what is new is that when I relight it, it seems to switch itself off after about 2 and a half minutes. There is an audible click and the flames go out. Does anyone know what might be causing this rebelliousness? and if there are any settings or easy tests/ repairs I might be able to do myself as a layperson ?

Thank you for any advice you might be able to give :)

Thank you for your speedy reply redsaw :)
I take it fsd stands for flame supervision device and not any of the other wikipedia suggestions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FSD for fsd which include [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/wiki/Female_Sexual_Dysfunction"]Female Sexual Dysfunction[/DLMURL] and Fire Services Department (Hong Kong).
If it is either of those things causing my boiler to go out then the problem is far worse than I thought lol :p.

Your suggestion sounds entirely plausible. Dont know if this is something a layperson could confidently test or replace themselves? but it is definately something I can broach with a plumber if I can get one at short notice. Who knows we may have hot water for easter after all :)

Thank you for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your speedy reply redsaw :)
I take it fsd stands for flame supervision device and not any of the other wikipedia suggestions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FSD for fsd which include [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/wiki/Female_Sexual_Dysfunction"]Female Sexual Dysfunction[/DLMURL] and Fire Services Department (Hong Kong).
If it is either of those things causing my boiler to go out then the problem is far worse than I thought lol :p.

Your suggestion sounds entirely plausible. Dont know if this is something a layperson could confidently test or replace themselves? but it is definately something I can broach with a plumber if I can get one at short notice. Who knows we may have hot water for easter after all :)

Thank you for your help
if it lights then its not the fsd possibly the pilot is blocked causing the flame to be to small to keep the fsd running or it could be overheating and cutting out is the pump working ? is there water in system ?

if we are talking space saver,fuel saver ect,low water content unit
pilot going out after a few minutes could be as steve says but would recommend cleaning out fins around heat exchanger,(I use a thin blade)as block up over time and cause restriction of burnt gases through to outside thus build up in chamber and cause oxygen starvation to flame and pilot,thus causing pilot to be pulled away from thermocouple closing gas valve
when you look through eye glass flame can look ok,put you will notice slight lifting of burner flame in the early stages of above

Hi steve
yes there is water in the system. Pilot light looks normal as far as I can tell. How could I tell if it is overheating?
Thank you for your response :)

ty for response puddle will have look to see if there is slight lifting of flame, your right it could undoubtedly do with a good clean as it is old and knackered not unlike myself lol:p

Take a look at the overheat stat connections, if they are loose they could cause the boiler to lock out or maybe your thermocouple or pilot flame is weak. It would be helpful to say which model of Glow Worm you have.
Martin.

Ty to everyone for your responses. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a plumber and thanks to you I was able to ask them some informed questions. There was a problem with the thermocouple and one or two other little things. Im confident the situation will be resolved now even if the worst comes to the worst and we do eventually have to replace the boiler. Thankyou again for your all your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glow worm self cut out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock