Search the forum,

Discuss Clicking noise from Worcester Greenstar 12Ri boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shaun 72

We currently have a Worcester Greenstar 12 Ri condensing boiler which is nearly 4 years old. A problem has started recently any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
When we select to have our hot water on for an extra hour the boiler burner ignites ok when the temperature drops to the set value. When the burner stops a clicking noise can be heard from the boiler eventually it stops and the blue light flashes. When we try to rest the boiler it starts clicking again and the blue light flashes again. The only way we have discovered how to overcome this problem is to turn the boiler off and switch the heating on, we then turn the boiler on and wait for the burner to ignite. When the boiler has been running for a short time we can switch the heating off and the blue light will remain illuminated. This whole process will repeat itself when the boiler comes on again for the hot water. Help needed please....

Hi, this is Worcester, Bosch Group

Although we don't currently offer live technical support online, our Technical Support department will be able to help. Their number is 0844 892 3366 - they're open 6 days a week and on average answer calls within 20 second. If you want to know more about our Technical Support department visit our website: Customer technical support - Worcester, Bosch Group UK installer site

We look forward to helping you

Phoned Worcester Bosch technical and apparently this is a common problem which develops on the early boards. Tel 0844 892 3366

Recommended solution is to fit 0.47uF (275V AC X2 rated) capacitor across switched live and neutral. Maplins supply the item for ÂŁ1.74 part No N27CM

I solder a couple of leads to the capacitor and connected it between the switched live (3rd on RHS on ST2) and nuetral (3rd on RHS on ST1) Page 47 on my Greenstar Ri manual shows the circuit board digm. No more annoying clicks and lock outs. Certainly cheaper than a ÂŁ230 for a new circuit board.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/7fa64bc8c0dd70e5

Basically it seems the small current passed by Honeywell-type mid-position valves (presumably by that 680K or whatever resistor?) can fool the electronics of these boilers (and maybe some other models? & other makes even?) into thinking they have call-for-heat at their switched-live input.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Phoned Worcester Bosch technical and apparently this is a common problem which develops on the early boards. Tel 0844 892 3366

Recommended solution is to fit 0.47uF (275V AC X2 rated) capacitor across switched live and neutral. Maplins supply the item for ÂŁ1.74 part No N27CM

Point of info:

Maplin part # is N72CN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Clicking noise from Worcester Greenstar 12Ri boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, My boiler (Worcester Greenstar Ri) has started making a soft knocking noise when it turns on, and again a few times when it turns off. I've attached a short video of the sound. It isn't constant, it seems to happen within the first 10 mins of the boiler starting up, then you won't...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi everyone, New here & my first post! I have a Worcester greenstar 24i, it is a conventional boiler, it has a water tank upstairs. For the past year the hot water when turned on was intermittent. I repressurised the expansion vessel to 1 bar and the hot water switch when turned on worked...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock