Discuss Brown hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leeky

I replaced my hot water tank about a year ago. The original one had been installed when the house was built in 1957 and had started to leak. It is an all in one indirect unit that supplies hot water to the radiators and the hot running water. It has one cold water feed unlike a true indirect system that uses two cold water feeds. I am no expert but i believe the tap water and radiator water is separated by some sort of air lock.
The problem arises when the hot water and heating are on together. The hot water is very rusty coloured and you have to run off a whole tank full of hot water before the next tank is clear. This happens everytime. If only the hot water is on without the heating everything is fine. I wouldn't of thought the hot water tank is corroded just after a year.
Please help with any advise.

i take it its a primatic or single feed cylinder.
sounds like you have lost the airlock.
if so the cylinder will need draining to replace the airlock.

Thanks for reminding me its called a primatic. I had forgotten.
I will drain the tank when i get chance in the next day or so.
Thanks for the information. I will let you know if it works.

the art to getting the airlock back is fill the primatic slow.

I drained my system and refilled really slow as suggested. The hot water is still really brown when the central heating is on.
Any more ideas please.

I'm going to replace all my radiators soon as they are quite old.
I know i can't use any chemicals on a primatic system due to cross contamination.
With the radiators removed can i flush the system?

you can use chemicals if you bypassed the cylinder.
but then thats alot of mucking around.

but you can flush the whole system with a hose.
have you tried it with the pump speed lower ?

I will have a look at my pump tomorrow when i get home.

Thanks for all the advice sonray ltd

Hi. Just a thought re:- primatic cylinders were in general fitted to back boiler gravity type installations to protect the boilers from corrosion, being a cheap alternative to an indirect system. However they do not cope well with pumped systems. It could be the reason the air lock has been effected? Good Luck

I think we have established the air bubble has burst, i would look at why,the overall problem will be the temperature of the circs going through the cylinder, either the pump or circulator has malfunction or the thermostat(s) may be defective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brown hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
I have a 2 pump hot water tank (Flomax 180L fitted in '94) in airing cupboard system with an Ideal classic boiler (downstairs next to an external...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock