Search the forum,

Discuss brass, stainless, or EP/plastic for Well service line fittings in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Where the black polyethelene service line enters this particular structure is by far the most freeze-prone area. The structure is an elevated "mini house" with an insulated, heat-taped plenum taking the poly from below frost line up into the space between floor joists. But, power outages occur, and despite the insulation this area would likely begin to freeze before anything inside the structure or below ground.

A hard freeze of all the tube would clearly cause a failure, but on the margins my guess is good design & material choice could make the difference between a winter emergency vs not. To that end I've minimized all other fittings, and am using expansion fittings of course, but have a mandatory coupler between the 1" black poly and 1" pex-a (barbed to expansion) in the joists.

I have all three of these options, thank you for your feedback on which one is the most robust against partial-freezing.
  • brass single-piece Ferguson didn't have anything like this, but I found this single-piece barbed --> ProPex
    • No well water report (won't have it until this is installed) - all things equal brass should be the most susceptible to any water quality issues, though.
  • stainless, as barbed --> NPT --> ProPex
    • available in both machined, and swaged. I'd expect the swaged fitting to be work-hardened; stainless is already brittle relative to plastic & brass, so I assume machined is preferred (??)
  • EP/plastic, again as barbed --> NPT --> ProPex
    • Note, this fitting occurs near a 90 and has some accomodation in the insulation, so I don't believe the location has any notable stress that might make me concerned (Freezing aside) about EP
Thank you!

Here's the one-piece brass if you're curious:
lf4591010-3.jpg

Reply to brass, stainless, or EP/plastic for Well service line fittings in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, just joined to try and get a definitive answer on this! When connecting threaded fittings, metal of plastic, what single application thread seal product works best? We have tried: PTFE + silicone. Virtually always seals but will seep if agitated after cured. PTFE with Fernox general...
Replies
Views
G
What type of 1-1/4 to 2 inch flexible pipe to use ? Hello. We are ignorant of plumbing components and procedures and hope you can help. This ground source heat pump worked fine for three years. Then a leak occured at a joint in the input line where it enters the unit. The parts of...
Replies
Views
Giles
G
P
French Plumbing Sorry that this is over 4 postings, it was too much for one posting, so please bear with me There is not much difference between French and English plumbing at first glance, but when you have a closer look, its has different as chalk is to cheese For a start not many...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock