Discuss Where does the plumbing stop and the gas engineering start??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at tech bulletin 014 it states that to check on work completed by a non registered person you would be expected to expose pipework if it is buried in concrete screed,, lift floorboards, climb through roofspaces etc,so its a lot more than a cursory check and more than what most customers would call reasonably practicable, especially if you''re whipping up their newly tiled floor.

It also mentions (to my chagrin as fuzzy will be chewing my bum) "No person shalllcarryout anywork in relation to a gas fitting unless they are competent to do so" and "the HSE defines competence as a combination of both training and experience.Therefore anyone who does work ona gas fitting must be competent to do so, whether or not they are required to register with gas safe register"

It seems to me the HSE doesnt know who or what it wants doing as far as defining who may work with gas fittings based on its own definitions. One day it may actually define once and for all who is allowed to do what in what circumstances!, clearly

I was thinking of an exsisting installation as opposed to work by non qualified, so would agree with you there.

can i confirm that i have no intention of chewing oldplumbers a*se

actually, thinking about it - its rather remiss that the law changed that you can't do your own electrics in your own home, but you can still do gas... least with electrics you dont generally blow the street up!

about time they brought the gas up to date too.

you cannot do gas in your own home unless you are competent

you cannot do gas in your own home unless you are competent

Thats correct, and the definition 'at the moment' of deciding that is based on if there are any problems after or not. Not based on qualifications/gas safe/building regs..

Totally wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Everyone would tend to agree. There are people doing gas work in their homes without any regulation and they may face the consequence if it goes wrong. As trades people though, we do the bulk of the gas work and therfore have to accept the regulations involved. Its the old thing about civil rights and freedom, no such thing as a perfect world. To give you an example: I am fully qualified competent gas fitter but work in management of a business and do not work on the tools and have no registration. My boiler breaks down so I replace it. I am not registered but totaly qualified and competent to do so. Change the regulations and say no one can do the work unless your registered with GSR (Gas Safe Register). I still have a problem though because I can not certificate the work for Part L compliance unless I register with a cometent person scheme or go directly to building control; who are unlikely to sign off the work unless I am registered with GSR. Thought I would throw that one in. What do you think? PS: I know that almost all DIY work is done by people not competent. At least the part L makes it more difficult. Trouble is this Part L certification seems a little weak when it comes to enforcing and it does not necessarily directly involve gas work.

Thats correct, and the definition 'at the moment' of deciding that is based on if there are any problems after or not. Not based on qualifications/gas safe/building regs..

Totally wrong as far as I'm concerned.

No we've been over this recently, the definition of competent isnt 'if something goes wrong afterwards' as many would have you believe, its KUTE, Knowledge, Understanding, Training and Experience

Everyone would tend to agree. There are people doing gas work in their homes without any regulation and they may face the consequence if it goes wrong. As trades people though, we do the bulk of the gas work and therfore have to accept the regulations involved. Its the old thing about civil rights and freedom, no such thing as a perfect world. To give you an example: I am fully qualified competent gas fitter but work in management of a business and do not work on the tools and have no registration. My boiler breaks down so I replace it. I am not registered but totaly qualified and competent to do so. Change the regulations and say no one can do the work unless your registered with GSR (Gas Safe Register). I still have a problem though because I can not certificate the work for Part L compliance unless I register with a cometent person scheme or go directly to building control; who are unlikely to sign off the work unless I am registered with GSR. Thought I would throw that one in. What do you think? PS: I know that almost all DIY work is done by people not competent. At least the part L makes it more difficult. Trouble is this Part L certification seems a little weak when it comes to enforcing and it does not necessarily directly involve gas work.

Gas safe dont give a monkeys about Part L, they said to my mate when he phoned em it was a corgi thing

Your right there: Part L Building Regs and GSR are two totaly different things. But building control will not accept a Part L appilcation unless the gas boiler was installed by a GSR registered business. Its a total nonse. This is part of the reason CORGI lost its bid for the review of gas registration. I know loads of people did not like CORGI, but by them running CPS (Competent person schemes) and gas registration it tied the loose end up. Only registered installer could certificate gas boilers for Part L. Therefore DIY could not get in. Les fogg of HSE sorted that one out by favouring Capita for the bid, who have dumped as much as they can to make profit for their share holders. (at our expense)

its not a gas pipe until the gas engineer connectys it to the gas pipework

its not a gas pipe until the gas engineer connectys it to the gas pipework

that is quite correct, and what must he do before he runs gas through it? confirm it is fit for purpose and installed as per BS6891, and IGE/UP1B, which both demand he checks it is installed properly before he first introduces gas to it, how can he confirm that if he cant fully inspect and confirm that alll joints are properly made and appropriately positioned, and the pipe is properly supported, and properly sized for the load

Under the eye,s of the Law, if a pipe is installed, which is intented to be used to convey gas, it is gaswork; and therefore you must be competent to install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where does the plumbing stop and the gas engineering start??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I...
Replies
Views
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi all, first of all I'm not a plumber so forgive my ignorance. We are currently getting a boiler stove installed. This involves connecting the...
Replies
Views
P
Hi there, please help dont have a clue how to set this up. Ive recently installed a complete new central heating system in my house myself. The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock