Search the forum,

Discuss New office kitchen. Your opinions please (be kind!) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

curious1

Hi,
First post here, so please be easy on me... and apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place!....

Our office landlord has just installed a new kitchen. I think the work is substandard; I was hoping you could take a look at these images and confirm whether my opinion is reasonable or not.

Please find photographs enclosed which show a new electrical/plumbing installation our landlord provided in our kitchen area.

[DLMURL]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1620039/DSC_7329%20copy.jpg[/DLMURL]
[DLMURL]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1620039/DSC_7330.JPG[/DLMURL]

1. Power supply to Water heater (located on floor) is unsafe : connects to a consumer extension lead (Breaching safety instructions provided with the boiler http://www.bosch-store.us/images_templ/ariston-gl-manual.pdf) and is routed beneath water supply and drainage.
2. Water heater is incorrectly installed : pressure valve (overflow) is not plumbed into any drainage, so any overflow results in water pooling(visible in photos) on kitchen floor increasing risk of electrocution due to badly routed cables.
3. Further risk due to leaking connection between P-trap and main stack causing water pooling on kitchen floor and under extension cord socket.
4. Earthing missing from sink ?

Am I being unreasonable?
I'd love to hear some opinions from the professionals here.

//edit //
Since posting this message I have discovered that the source of the leak was a hole drilled into the soilpipe from the sink (indicated on photo attached) which had the overflow pipe siliconed into place. Obviously, given the boiler was not fixed down, someone has moved the boiler and caused the pipe to pop out.

Now forgive me if I'm being a little over-critical (and please, DO correct me on any of these complaints if I AM being unreasonable) , but my assessment of this installation would be as follows.

1. Electrical installation is amateur and unsafe.

• Power supply to boiler by means of extension cable contravenes boiler safety instructions.
  • Routing of cabling under poorly sealed/plumbed pipe-work is unsafe; risk of kitchen floor becomeing live. Why not fixed to wall? Why no permenant fused connection in wall?
2. Installation of plumbing is sub-amateur and dangerous.

• No professional plumber would connect an overflow to a soil-pipe by drilling a hole in the soil-pipe and connecting/fixing with silicone.
  • Height of connection to soil-pipe (about 16" above floor level" contravenes boiler safety instructions "Install the valve in the opening provided and marked for this purpose in the water heater and orient it or provide tubing so that any discharge from the valve will exit within 6 inches above, or at any distance below, the structural floor, and cannot contact any live electrical part"
  • Given the "fixed" connection to the soilpipe, the boiler should be fixed to the wall to prevent movement that would immediately break the seal. Lazy or incompetant, take your pick, or take both!
3. Unhiegenic installation of boiler?

• I appreciate my knowledge is limited, so I am perhaps being stupid to suggest this.... but doesn't having the connection to the soil pipe, above the boiler, introduce the risk of contaminated water entering the boiler by way of the pressure release valve (I assume the valve is suppose to be one-way, but perhaps this isn't guarenteed).
Sorry for the long first post, and thanks for reading this far.... hopefully with some professional opinions from this forum I can approach my landlord with some weight behind me.

Thanks in advance
c1.

Last edited by a moderator:
the opinions of other plumbers wont pursuade your landlord.
you have stated the obvious facts, which appear to be true, speak to your landlord about your concerns, then if your still not happy, call your local council inspector.

your contract probably wont be renewed next year tho.

Cheers,
Yea I know the procedure... I'm sure the landlord is going to have the bodged work re-bodged, I just wondered if there were specific regulations being breached, or if the tradesmen should be reported for dangerous work.... or if any of you think I'm being unreasonable and over dramatic! I know I'm no professional so would be happy to be told that I'm being an idiot :)

No worries about the contract... we're outta here in 3 months... it would just be nice to know that the landlord isn't puting us or any future tenants at risk.

Also, presumable the overflow pipe should vent to somewhere visible such that if a fault does develop in the boiler, the landlord or tenant would be alerted by seeing water pour out of the building. Draining the overflow directly into the stack could mean that a fault could remain undetected.

Last edited by a moderator:
your correct, and the installation is bodged and dangerous, according to what you have stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New office kitchen. Your opinions please (be kind!) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock