Discuss idiots guide to using a multimeter to faultfind in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogwai

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
thought i'd ask the question many of us are thinking....has anyone got an idiots guide to using a multimeter to faultfind on boilers???
yes i've been on the baxi course and also a cdi course at worcester...problem is like many of us....my brain isn't that good at takin things in.
what i would like if poss is summat down in writing that i could read again and again until it sinks in.
i think alot of us would be greatful for this......a point in the right direction to any literature or video's would be superb.

If you've been on a Worcester course I'm surprised you didn't receive any goodies. I had a print out of fault finding on boilers with a multimeter, a pen, a notepad and a memory stick with all the boilers manuals past and present. Try phoning them to see if they'll send you something.

Basicly you look for voltage where there should be voltage and check resistance of thermisters and also check for cicuits on water pressure switch,air pressure switch I use multimeter for thermister checks in ohms and voltage to air pressure switches i use a volt stick for checking power lead to pumps and fans/air pressure switches i use a magnet tester and volt stick on 240 valve gas valves and i use link wires for water pressure switches time clocks hot water switches also you have to know the order the boiler works in eg pump first air pressure gas valve ignition ionisation run if you know the functional diagram wherever it stops then you can find the fault then if you cant find it in 30 mins it is usually a board had a vailant on saturday night would not ignite a resistor had partly snapped off the board and i resoldered it back on working fine again found that by just pressing the resistor with a screwdriver remember that it is not good to work on things that are live but i am affraid alot of the time it is the only way to fault find a boiler i have a laptop in the van and i have downloaded manufactures installation instruction onto it for the last five years its alot faster when you have this information its all free on the internet i put it onto cd and just keep updating it

Last edited by a moderator:
ive just done the baxi course on using a multimeter properly if after doing it you still dont know id suggest a different career path came away with a folder and lots of info well worth doing
ive always used one but was a bit shakey on what resistance i should expect from each component and often its not in the MI's

if after doing it you still dont know id suggest a different career path

obviously not every one is as brainy as you,it does take different people different levels of learning. i found the course very good,but like i say it was alot for me to take in one day. i didn't join this forum to be ridiculed by high mighty snobs.

Last edited:
Ya probably better of if ya got the time to just play around with a multi meter in the garage. Its obvious ya not daft but just get used to measuring voltage of the mains and a battery or even put it on M ohms and measure your body between ya thumbs then lick em and try again it takes time to get used to things;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to idiots guide to using a multimeter to faultfind in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Hello again all: Firstly: Personal background, as I know people are likely to ask: 1) I AM GSR 2) Most of my work so far since qualification has...
Replies
Views
B
Good Evening I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Boiler. Been working fine all summer heating water. Have, in the last few weeks been using the...
Replies
Views
skippy
S
M
Hi and thanks for looking at my (first) post :) We bought a house that had not been used for a couple of years, the boiler was not working and...
Replies
Views
M2RTY
M
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock