Discuss Common Problem Driving me mad. Boiler losing Pressure. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brenborg

Good Evening

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Boiler. Been working fine all summer heating water. Have, in the last few weeks been using the central heating again. Have noticed that over the course of 10-12 hours the boiler loses pressure from 1.5 bar -0 bar. I am at the moment topping up morning and night to keep pressure.

I have checked all TRVs for leaks. I have had my head under the downstairs floorboards to check for leaks when the heating is on and off. There are no stains on the ceiling from upstairs leaks (carpeted). I have looked as best I can on the boiler for leaks, nothing. I have checked a million times on the PRV/overflow, its as dry as a bone.

Had plumber round on Friday gone, he said you either have a leak you cant find, or your Heat Exchanger has a crack in it. Told me to inject sealent into the system as a cheap fix. I read that this isint a great fix though. Or is it?

I have read also, that a good thing to do is the isolate the boiler from te rest of the system to check for pressure loss over a day. Then reconnect. This would identify which part is at fault. Boiler or pipework. Is that a good idea and easy to do?

This looks like a common problem that drives poeple mad a drains cash on fault finding. Just could do with some sensible answers back to put me in the right direction.

Sorry if this thread is a repeat.

many thanks.

Brendon

But is it suppost to be pale brown and condensating even if the system is off? I managed to collect 100ml in about an hour.

Colour would be either clear or milky grey ... Does sound like a heatexchanger issue brenborg! Not a cheap repair unless you happen to be on contract with one of the big boys! BG use to do a fixed price repair, not sure if they still do now!

Hi,

Just been quoted £650.0 inc for new Heat Exchanger to be fitted by my local engineer. Worcester quoted £250.0 for an engineer to come out, then sign up for 12 x £30.00 service plan which should cover the heat exchanger. Although it might not they said. So, why commit to that if it might not be covered.

Looks like the part is about £400.

Gutted.

My boiler occasionally loses fluid though the pressure relief valve, despite me never seeing the pressure gauge anywhere near the top of the scale. I stuck a bottle under it and it collected over half a litre of water.

Hi,

Just been quoted £650.0 inc for new Heat Exchanger to be fitted by my local engineer. Worcester quoted £250.0 for an engineer to come out, then sign up for 12 x £30.00 service plan which should cover the heat exchanger. Although it might not they said. So, why commit to that if it might not be covered.

Looks like the part is about £400.

Gutted.

You could try leak sealer? :)

My boiler occasionally loses fluid though the pressure relief valve, despite me never seeing the pressure gauge anywhere near the top of the scale. I stuck a bottle under it and it collected over half a litre of water.

The gauges aren't always that accurate jjj1 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Common Problem Driving me mad. Boiler losing Pressure. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back