Search the forum,

Discuss Very odd Baxi Solo / Honeywell ST699 problem - won't turn off hot water - replace?... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M2RTY

Hi and thanks for looking at my (first) post :)

We bought a house that had not been used for a couple of years, the boiler was not working and the wires had been disconnected, so we replaced a few parts on it, rewired it, and connected it all together to get it working again.

Details of the set up are as follows:

Baxi Solo Boiler
  • Model: WM 50/4 PF
  • Seriel Number: 008953
  • GC 41-077-44
  • Cat 1N
Hot water tank/diverter valve in loft (and a pump?)

Cylinder thermostat on side of hot water tank

Honeywell electronic timer ST699 located next to boiler

Honeywell dial room thermostat located next to boiler

The heating works fine at the moment when set on the timer mode, I currently have it set to come on twice a day for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening and the heating works fine.

However, if I turn the hot water on (either manually via the slider or automatically via the timer), it works and heats the tank in the loft, but after 30 minutes or so it starts to heat the radiators in the house too, even with the heating turned off on the controller (and the red light for heating not illuminated) – is this normal?

Also, once the hot water is turned on (either manually via the slider or automatically via the timer), even when I turn it off again, the boiler wont turn off, it just keeps running and heating the water, until I cut the main power to it and reset the timer – even sliding the slider to the off position won’t turn it off. The red light turns off on the timer unit, but the boiler keeps going. I have not left it more then 30 minutes or so, but guess it will just keep going? Unless it still goes for a set time for a reason after the being turned off – but I very much doubt it?

If I use the +1 hour buttons, the heating or hot water comes on fine, but after 1 hour it won’t turn off again. It just keep going until I turn the slider to off and then back to twice.

It's had a new diverter valve in the loft and the boiler has been serviced as it originally would not fire up at all (new ignition, vacuum hoses, fan etc) .

Originally I suspected it was a wiring issue we sort of guessed how it all went together when we bought the house. However, after reading a few posts, the timer control units seem to fail a lot and cause random events like I am experiencing, and could be faulty relays inside the timer unit. I have priced a new ST699 up, and think it would be a much better option to replace it altogether with the newer (and cheaper) ST9400C. I have found the replacement wiring guide for upgrading the old one to the new one, so I think I will do this first and see how I get on?

I will also buy new thermostat as this now looks to be not working correctly. It sometimes does not cut the boiler off when it “clicks” when I move it and it equals the temperature of the room. For what they cost I will stick a new one on anyway. Again could this be to a faulty timer unit?

If the new control unit still does not fully work, does anyone know any good heating engineers in Darlington who could take a look at the wires for me and rewire the couple that could be wrong?

Many thanks all

Martyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Very odd Baxi Solo / Honeywell ST699 problem - won't turn off hot water - replace

Does sound like a clock fault, but what system is it, a y plan with mid position valve (3 port) or an s plan with 2 x 2 port valves? Sounds like the diverter valve is passing, was the whole thing replaced or just the head?

Re: Very odd Baxi Solo / Honeywell ST699 problem - won't turn off hot water - replace

its a y plan i think, as there is only 1 diverter valve, which is brand new last year - both the valve and the electric part

new clock orderd now, getting a wireing plan together this week to see what i actually have wired where

the st699 looks to have more wires in then it should, going bloody everywhere lol

Yes, tbh mate, I hate electrics and have no experience of them really. About all I do is rewire a 3-port.

update:

I have now replaced the st699 with a new st9400c. all wires have been connected as per the old unit

it worked fine for 30 minutes turning it on/off as a test, but now it wont turn the boiler off at all! even when i turn the power fully off at the wall, and then turn it back on, the boiler powers up even when the unit is set to off for both HW and CH

any help appreciated

phone a heating engineer

I have had a look and in the timer i have 3 wires that go into the st9400c. I have wired this up as per the old controller, so the wrong wire is still there...

1 from power (fused)
Red goes to L
Black goes to N
Green goes to Earth

1 from loft
Red goes to 1
Yellow goes to 3
Blue goes to 4
Green not used

1 from boiler
Brown goes to 4
Black goes to 3
Blue goes to N
Green goes to earth

With the wire from the boiler disconnected, it works fine for the hot water

With the wire from the boiler connected, it powers up all the timeIts just this cable thats wrong i think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Very odd Baxi Solo / Honeywell ST699 problem - won't turn off hot water - replace?... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock