Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Electrical training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

P J F PLUMBING

Hi guys I'm having big problems getting a leccy so was thinking of just training as one the basics ect maybe changing fuse bords ect is this hard to do ?? Cheers Pete

I think that Keiran did it (Cr0ft).

One of my lads who was 10 years on the plumbing tools, and now works in our shopfitting crew did the training and got the quals, but found it very hard. At the end he is OK for small works, but we still bring in a "proper" sparks subby if its anything complicated.

I'm looking to do works like fuse bords electric showers ect more work ect

I thinks its like plumbing Pete.

P1ss-easy ... until something goes wrong. Then experience counts.

I do minor works I just want to remove the middle man and just do it myself

Been well worth it for me. As Ray says, it's easy getting signed off to do it really. It's the same training to get fully qualified for defined scope as full scope, the only difference is your 2 assessment jobs. Change 2x consumer units and be assessed by the registration body on them and you can be a full scope electrician. Rather scary I know but that's the deal.

Like Ray says, electrics is quite easy when it goes well. When you get a call like I had the other night because the downlight connector block has melted because the customer has put a box on top of the fire hood, doesn't half scare you though!

That is the only callback I have had in 2 years of electrical work though. You don't get many callbacks at all doing electrical work, not compared to plumbing.

Should say, the training is quite hard, well the 2391 inspection and testing exam is. Quite a high fail rate on it. That's the one you need to sign off your own work.

i will be doing it in the next few years. i like getting my teeth into everything.......
gas safe and oftec at 21
i want to be a qualified spark by 25 i hope :)

do u need the full qualifications? or can you just do part p course?

Corgi have lower standards than a lot if the other self cert companies no need for inspection and testing ? Or so I am informed ?

do u need the full qualifications? or can you just do part p course?

The qualifications are the same to do both, i.e. 17th Edition Wiring Regulations certificate. The inspection and testing is the bit you either need to know how to do and how to interpret the results or do the course on it to learn it. If you are going into it with limited prior electrical experience then the 2391 is well worth doing as well as it will give you a lot more knowledge and understanding when you start charging customers!

If you just do the 17th Edition Wiring Regs and fit a consumer unit it would be like me fitting a gas boiler and because it all seems to work assuming it does basically (I don't do gas).

The only difference between defined scope (what you call part P) and full scope is the assessment jobs you show when you join NICEIC or ELECSA etc.

In other words, replace a couple of family member's consumer units, do the 17th Edition wiring regs and 2391 Inspection and Testing course and you can call yourself an electrician.

As with plumbing, in my opinion, it's the fault finding where you need the experience on the job. Installs are relatively straight forward.

It's a requirement to issue a test certificate with most electrical work, so without the 2391 or previous testing knowledge you are going to struggle to do that.

The test meter is around £600 for a decent one too and it has to be calibrated annually for around £40.

Hope this clears things up.

I was told by Brian Scadden, that 2391 not necessarily needed for registation onto a scam, sorry scheme.
As long as you have a level three qual, ie the 17th wiring regs, AND can prove you can test competently, then you will be accepted onto a scheme.

I did the 2391, as have a lot of customers who have industrial units, so a lot of three phase.

Dont think the 2391 exist now, think they split it up into initial verification, and periadic testing.

Definitely worth getting, if you think you will get the benefit out of it.
For me now it is pretty much a fifty fifty split in gas and electric work.

Good luck.

The qualifications are the same to do both, i.e. 17th Edition Wiring Regulations certificate. The inspection and testing is the bit you either need to know how to do and how to interpret the results or do the course on it to learn it. If you are going into it with limited prior electrical experience then the 2391 is well worth doing as well as it will give you a lot more knowledge and understanding when you start charging customers!

If you just do the 17th Edition Wiring Regs and fit a consumer unit it would be like me fitting a gas boiler and because it all seems to work assuming it does basically (I don't do gas).

The only difference between defined scope (what you call part P) and full scope is the assessment jobs you show when you join NICEIC or ELECSA etc.

In other words, replace a couple of family member's consumer units, do the 17th Edition wiring regs and 2391 Inspection and Testing course and you can call yourself an electrician.

As with plumbing, in my opinion, it's the fault finding where you need the experience on the job. Installs are relatively straight forward.

It's a requirement to issue a test certificate with most electrical work, so without the 2391 or previous testing knowledge you are going to struggle to do that.

The test meter is around £600 for a decent one too and it has to be calibrated annually for around £40.

Hope this clears things up.

I'll come live with you, you teach me the way of the spark and ill help you get your gas safe?

*grins*

and it has to be calibrated annually for around £40.

If you are with ELECSA, they are happy for you to buy a calcard, at £20, and test once a month against this. As long as it is recorded for inspector to see, then no problems

I'll come live with you, you teach me the way of the spark and ill help you get your gas safe?

*grins*

I would seriously consider that one tbh. I am desperate to get my gas quals. So much so I am even starting to look at courses that I know are a rip off just to get my ticket as no one round here will help get it!

If you are with ELECSA, they are happy for you to buy a calcard, at £20, and test once a month against this. As long as it is recorded for inspector to see, then no problems

That I didn't know. Thanks a lot!

I would seriously consider that one tbh. I am desperate to get my gas quals. So much so I am even starting to look at courses that I know are a rip off just to get my ticket as no one round here will help get it!

Like we said before shame were just that bit too far apart

After march i will be going on my own gas safe registration. So if you could source a few jobs in the summer i would be willing to come up :)

post up in the arms for members to buddy up with if you source the work.
you could get away with family members houses tbh

Getting work will be no problem as long as I can put on Checkatrade the details of the firm that will be doing our gas work for us until I'm qualified, i.e. their GSR number etc. Checkatrade is where I get most of my work and they obviously want to make sure a qualified gas fitter is doing our gas work.

If I just want to fit domestic boilers what is the portfolio requirement needed? I am a bit confused as I get different answers from training centres to gas fitters!

I have no idea what you require tbh, i did mine as an apprenticeship.

If you haven't got it done by the summer then ill come up :)
as you wont be competition ;)

Just a word of warning. The electrical requirements has now changed since April this year. There is a requirement for either you to have undertaken the NVQ level 3 or this new supervisors course. I have 17th, 2391 and full scope part P but cannot join a CPS as I do not hold either of these.

The supervisors courses is about £900+ vat and is a portfolio type jobbie so site visits and a week course. I've no interest in it now as heating controls are no longer notifiable and anything bigger gets subbed out.

Just thought you all might want to know as if you go spending out on 17th edition or test and inspect alone, you won't be able to self certify notifiable work.

Personally I found 17th edition left far to many questions unanswered. I did 2391 to further my knowledge. Its hard going being able to stay on top of it all if you don't do it much to be honest. I've forgotten a lot of the basic stuff which is annoying as I was on the ball on the run up to 2391. I think the new test and inspect is a lot easier as well.

Just a word of warning. The electrical requirements has now changed since April this year. There is a requirement for either you to have undertaken the NVQ level 3 or this new supervisors course. I have 17th, 2391 and full scope part P but cannot join a CPS as I do not hold either of these.

The supervisors courses is about £900+ vat and is a portfolio type jobbie so site visits and a week course. I've no interest in it now as heating controls are no longer notifiable and anything bigger gets subbed out.

Just thought you all might want to know as if you go spending out on 17th edition or test and inspect alone, you won't be able to self certify notifiable work.

Personally I found 17th edition left far to many questions unanswered. I did 2391 to further my knowledge. Its hard going being able to stay on top of it all if you don't do it much to be honest. I've forgotten a lot of the basic stuff which is annoying as I was on the ball on the run up to 2391. I think the new test and inspect is a lot easier as well.

Good call, completely forgot about that

Eek. I just slipped in there before the NVQ 3 requirement then!

Yeah I just missed it, I was tight for work and cash at the beginning of the year so delayed joining. Didn't realise the cost of the course would be so high so didn't register. Bit of a shock when I phoned one of the centres and they told me the price, plus a week off work and then booking in the site visits so more down time etc.

One thing less to worry about anyway, I only take on heating related work etc. to make it pay you'd have to be doing all electrical works to bring in the business I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electrical training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated...
Replies
Views
Hi could anyone give advice please ? I went to look at a new build for sale they are apartments/ one house on top of another all properties will...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock