Discuss copper pipe work for oxygen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sasik

One of my customers (a vet) asked my if I can do some pipe work installation in his practise. He said that the pipe work have to be in 10mm copper and soldered joints. The pipes going to carry the oxygen around the building. He told me that the pipes must stay dust free during the installation!
I would like to know if any of you have any advice about this kind of installation? How do I flush out and clean flux out of the pipes and joints and how much dust free it should be?
Thanks sasik

no chance.
try using a complete reel of micro onto comp or crimp joints.
or high pressure dry blow out after installation.

got a mate who installs these in hospitals, will see if i can get in touch tommorrow.

seen them putting this stuff in and they silversolder the joints whilst passing what i think is some form of inert gas thrupossibly co2 or may even be argon has to be supper clean capp ends of all pipe at all times with stoppers
id be very wary of doing this if you have no training seeing as it could literally be life threatening if you get it wrong

Some good info on Yorkshire pipe website Medical Gases and UK copper board
medical Gases.

Its special medical gas copper cleaned in a certain way. The fittings are flux less brazed. There are all kinds of dangers with oxygen if you don't follow procedures. If its supposed to be a cheap job, don't do it, its quite involved by the sound of it.

seen them putting this stuff in and they silversolder the joints whilst passing what i think is some form of inert gas thrupossibly co2 or may even be argon has to be supper clean capp ends of all pipe at all times with stoppers
id be very wary of doing this if you have no training seeing as it could literally be life threatening if you get it wrong

Did a bit of Air Con a few years ago and seem to remember the gas we used was Nitrogen. If you don't pass it through the pipe whilst soldering the reaction with Oxygen creates black flakes (looks like burnt newspaper)

I didn't know you need a ticket for this one.
Thanks.

Yes, you right. It doesn't sound as straight forward as I thought it is.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
don't do it....

ive seen the first hand effects of what happens when jobs involving oxygen go wrong.

the SLIGHTEST bit of silicone, grease......and you'll have major issues...like BANG.

Oxygen will cause spontanious combustion of grease and oil under pressure. it'll even, under the right conditions, ignite rubber, neoprene, steel.........shall i go on ??

also, if there was EVER a leak, even a small leak....for example a rise in density of O2 in by just 3% ( 24 ) will cause any fire to burn hotter, quicker, and make it harder to put out. go to 40% and it'll be nearing impossible to put out.....

i do know that oxygen pipe work if using yorkshire joints requires silver solder in the solder ring not bog standard

wouldnt plastic be safer? no copper in my local hospitals theatre or resuss... just colour coded flexable plastic hoses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to copper pipe work for oxygen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm not a plumber, but I'm having an issue which keeps re-occurring and the engineers coming out to us do not seem to know why. So...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I know this has been asked a zillion times, but has anyone here got experience of bending their own flush pipe? I'm fairly sure I...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, everyone! I live on the sixth floor of an apartment block. The water pressure used to be quite low but, a couple of years ago, the building...
Replies
Views
S
I have now registered - but previous thread is closed therefore, as I cannot reply, I'm starting a new thread... Rckape, thank you for your...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock