Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water pipe keeps bursting (2 kids and no heating in November) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone, I'm not a plumber, but I'm having an issue which keeps re-occurring and the engineers coming out to us do not seem to know why. So here is the story.

We have a pressurised system. When our boiler was serviced, the engineer had to abort the service as he found the following:
  • Boiler kept on starting, then shutting down due to overheating
  • Heat Exchanger was showing ripples, probably due to overheating.

The engineer pointed out this is likely due to sludge/dirt in the system. Our Worchester boiler is 7 years old. We got a new
heat exchanger from Worchester and then had a heating company do the following:
  • Replace heat exchanger
  • Power flush system
  • Install MagnaClean filter
  • Replace water pump (advised due to age)
After that the boiler seemed to work fine again and we had it serviced without issues.

10 days later we came back from a week of holiday. During our holiday the system was in holiday mode, keeping the temperature above 10 degrees.
The day after our return the hot water return pipe to the boiler burst. It was a plastic PB pipe that burst (not at a joint).
The burst happened fairly close to the boiler, where the plastic pipe transitions into copper pipe. The engineer was unable to
say why the pipe had burst so just ended up replacing the burst part with new plastic pipe. The old pipe was not showing
any visible signs of weakness, fitted correctly and was the correct part - we were told.

About 2 weeks later the new plastic pipe burst again - in exactly the same place! Another company came out and could not find the root cause either.
From what I remember they checked the following:
  • Relief valve
  • Magnetic filter
  • Some other things that unfortunately I can't quite remember
He ended up replacing the broken plastic pipe with a slightly longer copper pipe.

It's almost December now and we live in constant worry that we will have another burst soon, as there seems to be an underlying issue.
We have a baby and a toddler, so having no central heating isn't much fun. The thing is - according to both engineers - there isn't
anything else they could do to find the fault - other than start opening walls and floors and check every single pipe. Argh!

Oh and just to add:
  • The bursts happened in November. I've check the weather history and it was not nearly cold enough for water to freeze (just saying).
  • I have attached a photo of the pipe that burst first. The engineer said the scratches were probably cause by him removing it.

So I was wondering if people might have ideas what to check in case this happens again, before we start opening walls.

Thanks in advance guys
Tobias

Attachments

• burst_pipe.jpg
    burst_pipe.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 60
How close is it to the boiler as it looks heat damaged ?

How close is it to the boiler as it looks heat damaged in
Maybe 40-50 cm above the boiler with the boiler being about 30 cm underneath the ceiling. The white plastic pipe on the photo in the ceiling was the replacement pipe.

Attachments

• 5D28628B-097D-4221-A4AD-EAAF9C4F2644.jpeg
    5D28628B-097D-4221-A4AD-EAAF9C4F2644.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 997BAB0A-CC6A-4415-A0BA-8ABAFB027352.jpeg
    997BAB0A-CC6A-4415-A0BA-8ABAFB027352.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 55
Need to be a minimum of a 1.5m away eg need to have 1.5m of copper

Also the pipe on the right looks very kinked on the joist ?

It's interesting that it's the return pipe, which is cooler, as opposed to the flow pipe

Difficult to be sure from the photos, but the bend radii all look a bit small to me. As a rule of thumb, the curve radius should be at least 10 times the pipe diameter. (Check the manufacturer's specifications for the exact values.)

Is the failing pipe rubbing against a snag, e.g. the tip of a screw that's been driven into the joist?

Adding some more photos from after the second pipe replacement.

Also the engineer did mention there should be 1m copper from the boiler but said it might be from the boiler pipe connectors at the bottom of the boiler rather than the top of the boiler. Hm.

Attachments

• 8219BDB1-8FF1-42A3-8322-274D441A6259.jpeg
    8219BDB1-8FF1-42A3-8322-274D441A6259.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 46
  • 7C280B24-B9EB-4A58-83FC-DE0B4619ADE8.jpeg
    7C280B24-B9EB-4A58-83FC-DE0B4619ADE8.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 149CFBF9-810E-4D59-A43D-9E7CBA2D4AE9.jpeg
    149CFBF9-810E-4D59-A43D-9E7CBA2D4AE9.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 45
Failing pipe
It's interesting that it's the return pipe, which is cooler, as opposed to the flow pipe

Difficult to be sure from the photos, but the bend radii all look a bit small to me. As a rule of thumb, the curve radius should be at least 10 times the pipe diameter. (Check the manufacturer's specifications for the exact values.)

Is the failing pipe rubbing against a snag, e.g. the tip of a screw that's been driven into the joist?
The failing pipe was not touching anything other than the joist through which it went.

It looks too close to the boiler for plastic as above.
The bend is too tight.
Plastic expands and contracts around 1% so it will move about a fair bit and soften and harden.
I would say it needs taking out and re-installing better and in copper.

It looks too close to the boiler for plastic as above.
The bend is too tight.
Plastic expands and contracts around 1% so it will move about a fair bit and soften and harden.
I would say it needs taking out and re-installing better and in copper.

I think we may just have that done then. Although this pipe has been in the house long before we moved in (about 3 years ago). So it has been working fine up until we had some work done. So we are wondering what could possibly have changed so that it keeps on bursting now, when it was fine before.

Spoke to the pipe manufacturer and showed them the photo. They said it looks like a temperature burst potentially caused by an airlock. But that would only explain the first burst and not the second one they said. They didn’t know how the second burst could be explained. Does an airlock sound likely? The company who did the power flash did bleed all radiators afterwards. Or at least they claimed that they did.

How long were they there ?

Spoke to the pipe manufacturer and showed them the photo. They said it looks like a temperature burst potentially caused by an airlock. But that would only explain the first burst and not the second one they said. They didn’t know how the second burst could be explained. Does an airlock sound likely? The company who did the power flash did bleed all radiators afterwards. Or at least they claimed that they did.
I could understand an air lock leading to that if the heat that softened or melted it was external or maybe if steam were generated inside the pipe?

Why don't you find out when the system was installed and how long the pipe warranty is.

If it failed within the warranty - claim the damage and repairs off the manufacturer.

They may take some more interest in the situation if they know they are liable for the repairs.
As for the airlock excuse - I don't buy into that one ....twice.

Reply to Hot water pipe keeps bursting (2 kids and no heating in November) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock