Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler choices! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

peadee

Hello all,

I'm new here so go easy on me.
I am looking for some advice on boilers. I was going to buy a Veissmann but, the building regs people have stuck their oar in and blown my budget out of the water. So now my budget does not stretch to the Veissmann.
I am looking at the Glow Worm Ultracom2 30 CXI and the Main Combi Eco 30. Which one would you recommend or would you suggest something different all together?
I've looked on a few forums and I've seen lots of posts about problems on various boilers but, I have yet to see a post about a problem with a MAIN boiler. Are they good enough to warrant no posts? Is it a case of Main/Baxi/Potterton or whoever, allowing others to develop the technology and then just jumping on the wagon or are they just cheap? And how does the Glow Worm stack up? Is it a worthwhile investment?
There seems to be much more scope for add ons with the GW. Are there the same kind of add ons available for the MAIN? I'm thinking weather comp, wireless programmable stat, that kind of stuff.
These two are around the same price so I just have to choose one but, I can't.
I'm hoping that you guys will point me in the right direction

Thank you

Peadee

Try looking at Remeha, worcester bosch or vaillent, worth paying a bit extra for quality

go with a decent boiler,its false ecomony,
vaillant,veissem,worcester

A rated Main if you must, they are cheaper than thier Baxi Potterton cousins because they only have a 1yr warrenty, try and find the extra £300 to buy a better boiler ,Viessmann, vaillant, Remeha.

baxi duotec or main 30 he yes they are now banning band b boilers but the mains a good bet dont know about the main 30 eco it has a remeha heat exchanger

I'll put my penny's worth in - I fitted a worcestor 17 years ago in my house as part of a link up to my back boiler. System still runs perfectly and the boiler has only stopped working once in that time, costing only a few quid for a replacement part about 7 years ago. Efficiency is still reasonable, I use the same amount of oil annualy that I did when it was first fitted. I would buy another!

sadly Worcester cant get it right either look on here at 28i melted air switch not good at all expensive repair for the customer and a common fault on all 24/28i combis

Who are the "building regs people", and what have they said?

Well, I went to the civic centre and paid my money to have the regs people approve the work. I explained what I was having done and the fella said it all sounded like straight forward stuff and didn't foresee any probs. A few weeks later I rang him and asked him to come and look for himself because I was ready to get the builders in. He came and looked at the job and I explained what the builder had told me. 10x5 beams the builder said. Regs man said he thought that that may be overdoing it and that a 8x4 would prob be sufficient. Said he would check it back at the office. He rang back the day after and said he wasn't sure now and that I should get a structural engineer to calculate the beams. Approx £250 to get 1 done and I need 2. He said he would send me a list of engineers. s** that, I found a friendly engineer myself who did the 2 for £375. The result? 8X4's like the regs man had suggested! So £100 for the regs and £375 for the calcs. The best bit is yet to come. Rang the regs dept and explained that the calcs were done and should I post them and could I get on with the work. Yes post them they said but don't start work cos our engineer needs to check them first. "What?" I said "You've got an engineer there in your office?" "Yes" she said. "So, why have I had to go and shell out a fortune for something that you could do?". She began to reply but I had already hung up!
Bl00dy councils

Peadee

A rated Main if you must, they are cheaper than thier Baxi Potterton cousins because they only have a 1yr warrenty, try and find the extra £300 to buy a better boiler ,Viessmann, vaillant, Remeha.

I am also looking a the Remeha Avanta boilers. These seem to be quite well respected as well as being a couple of ton cheaper than the Veissmanns I think. Results from google are not good!

If you want good product and great backup and realistic parts then get a Bosch, if you want a good product then get a viessmann. If you are going to move in 3 years then get anything, the new owner will then get to make the decision.

i have a mate who recommended remeha to me ,he has fitted well over a 100 and has had literally 2 or 3 breakdowns now that is impressive ,i have fitted a few viessmann boilers and had loads of agg but on the good side they come with a 5 year guarantee same as remeha if you get them from HSP

Fair play to you gasmarc was it an early one? Mk1 Viessmans were a train wreck dumbed down cost cutting version for the tight fisted uk market. Horses for courses everyones got thier favourit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler choices! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock