Discuss wood boiler stove installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lennox

Hi

I am going to install a wood boiler stove for central heating and hot water. I have the instruction manual which states " A safety relief valve should be fitted to the expansion pipe close to the boiler"

Can anyone explain exactly what the safety valve is and how it would work in this setup.

Thanks

Lennox

safety valves are just what it says on the tin, if you dont understand what they do, DO NOT even think about installing your own system, get a pro in and if you want to save money ask if you can give a hand.
that type of sytem could end up with your missus opening a hot tap, pure pressurised steam coming out, suffering nasty burns, end up in hospital and death.
dont muck about. get help.

shaun

If a fault occurs such as the expansion pipe becoming iced up in the Winter and the boiler cold feed gets iced up as well. The safety valve would open up and vent out to reduce the pressure.
You got to remember a solid fuel boiler is not made to instantly shut down like gas or oil. It takes a long time for it to cool after its auto damper has closed. So by the time you noticed a problem with the expansion pipe it may be a to late, and I think its good practice to fit a back up safety device on solid fuel boilers regardles of whether the instructions say you need one or not.

Hi, Surely this subject has been aired. Or is it forums are getting short of work like the plumbing community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to wood boiler stove installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, just want to get some advise, basically new vaillant regular boiler has been fitted approx 5 yrs ago, i believe it was back boiler...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Back