Search the forum,

Discuss Water heater - LPG or electricity? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ro4dster

Hello

I am building a shower room in my garage and am having trouble deciding how to heat my water. Should I have a gas boiler? (calor gas, I cannot have mains gas where I live) I am told this is more efficient than an electric immersion heater, possibly running at night on economy 7 but not sure if it will stay hot for the whole of the next day (hot water will be required for evening showers).

It's worth mentioning I have only 13 Amps available electricity-wise so I won't be able to have an on-demand water heater, especially since I will already have a shower pump and extractor fan on the power.

I'm very grateful for any opinions

You had better look here at the Ecocent an unvented hot water cylinder with a heat pump on the top. It uses .8Kw and extracts the heat from a room like the bathroom or conservatory and then you can use the cooled air to cool another room.

I've been to look at this unit running on thursday and was very impressed.

Look here Air Source Heat Pumps, Solar, Renewable Energy, UK, Southern Ireland, Scotland, Wales - Earth Save Products Ltd

Eco

Interesting.... although I would be concerned it might not heat the water enough, and initial costs might be high? Could it work with a multi coil imersion? I might eventually want to have a heat pump but also a woodburner with backboiler...

It does have a coil for solar or another boiler input but for solid fuel you wouldn't want the unvented kit just fit it like a standard cylinder.

Eco

why haven,t you thought of electric showers

The opening poster has only 13amp supply available

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently using LPG and I am able to save money as well time

I'd be concerned about the amount of power required for the AS heatpump, 800W is not much for a short period, but I would imagine the unit would have to be on all the time rather than just for a short burst of power as required for a immersion heater? for eg, how long would it take an air source heatpump to warm water from say 5 to 55C?

Really what I am looking for is some stats from tests comparing economy of a gas boiler to an electric immersion heater... I've searched high and low and can't find any useful or reliable source.

I'd be concerned about the amount of power required for the AS heatpump, 800W is not much for a short period, but I would imagine the unit would have to be on all the time rather than just for a short burst of power as required for a immersion heater? for eg, how long would it take an air source heatpump to warm water from say 5 to 55C? It can produce

Really what I am looking for is some stats from tests comparing economy of a gas boiler to an electric immersion heater... I've searched high and low and can't find any useful or reliable source.

it uses 800watts but it it actually heats with the power of 3KW + up to 3.7KW but only ever draws a maximum of 810W so it will heat at the same or better than an 3KW immersion!

A gas boiler is a lot more economic than an immersion but not on LPG.

You had better look here at the Ecocent an unvented hot water cylinder with a heat pump on the top. It uses .8Kw and extracts the heat from a room like the bathroom or conservatory and then you can use the cooled air to cool another room.

I've been to look at this unit running on thursday and was very impressed.

Look here Air Source Heat Pumps, Solar, Renewable Energy, UK, Southern Ireland, Scotland, Wales - Earth Save Products Ltd

Eco

what if he wants to have a shower every day

I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to have a shower everyday?

Any idea how much one of these air source heatpumps cost to buy? I've researched ground source HPs before and was put off by the cost.

what if he wants to have a shower every day

50l per hour recovery rate mr kirkgas, so 1200l in 24hrs so quite a few showers, baths and anything else you want to throw at it:D

I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to have a shower everyday?

Any idea how much one of these air source heatpumps cost to buy? I've researched ground source HPs before and was put off by the cost.

Approx ÂŁ2000 but if installer is MCS certified you are able to get the governments RHI payments :)

200l on ebay Cheapest Hot Water.Air Source Heat Pump Cylinder.MCS on eBay (end time 25-Aug-10 21:13:19 BST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water heater - LPG or electricity? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock