Search the forum,

Discuss Stuck gate valve! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

I've just got back into plumbing after a long abscence ( I know I'm a glutton for punishment) and I installed a new bathroom suite which went fine.
However, I went to turn on the cold water via a gate valve I had closed on the storage tank and it refuses to open. The spindle and the handle turn but the valve will not open. There is no stand pipe in the tank or any way to drain the tank down as the valve won't open so I'm faced either with the option of changing the valve live for a new one or getting a pipe freezing kit. Any ideas to get the valve to open? I've loosened the packing and checked the tank inlet for obstructions and even blown through the pipe but nothing helps. I don't fancy the live option and the pipe freezing kit gives me the heebeegeebees so any alternative would be a great help.

You could try bunging the outlet from the tank into the pipe with the broken gate valve, failing that isolate supply to the tank and siphon it with hose...

Thanks the syphoning the tank isn't an option as the tank is in an attic that has no where to drain the water to. I'm considering the live option but cant remember how much water pressure I would be dealing with. Surely a quick change over draining the water into a bucket momentarily would be an option?
By the way I hate pipe freezing, having had a past bad experience with one when I got a company to use liquid nitrogen on a steel pipe, it didn't work and I cut the pipe!

Thanks the syphoning the tank isn't an option as the tank is in an attic that has no where to drain the water to. I'm considering the live option but cant remember how much water pressure I would be dealing with. Surely a quick change over draining the water into a bucket momentarily would be an option?
By the way I hate pipe freezing, having had a past bad experience with one when I got a company to use liquid nitrogen on a steel pipe, it didn't work and I cut the pipe!

Hi
cant you run the hose out of the eves or bung the outlet up this is a very easy job take it is just 22mm pipe i have had to get in a very large water tank and bung up a 3 inch outlet whilst mate changed the valve
so that would be a walk in the park

Thanks, I'll try blocking the outlet. Being in not so sunny Scotland (it's -5) the water in the tank will be very cold! What do you recommend that I use to bung up the outlet? I'm working by myself so I don't have anyone to hold pipe over the outlet. I can't get a hose through the eaves or anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could use the old carrot trick if you don't have a rubber bung!

I would probably argue that parsnips will work better if you have one!

Super! I'll get the veggies out! I get to bung a tank and get one of my 5 fruit and veggies a day. I love this job....

Hi If the gate is jammed and spindle knackered. Undo the body, you should now be looking at the gate? Remove any brocken bit of spindle from gate, put a plastic raw plug in the hole followed by say a No. 12 screw, once tight and using claw hammer give it a tug. (Have body in other hand) Get ready to insert when gate is removed. Have all hot taps full open to easy pressure and tie ball valve up so if all else fails hold the palm of you hand over valve body and wait for cistern to drain via taps. Good Luck

just take one end up the way you get in the loft and put the other end in the bath or toilet

spend a tenner on a freezing kit and do the job properly with no leaks thats what they are for

plug the pipe at the storage tank and change the valve sorry about the wet arm

But as an aside, Justlead1's answer was exactly what I did yesterday. Took head off gate valve, pulled out the guts with a pair of grips and stuck my hand over till the tank was empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stuck gate valve! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock