Search the forum,

Discuss secrecy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernie2

After this mail I am going to drop the subject.

I have worked in the Plumbing/gas fitting/ central heating industry nearly all my working life since leaving school in the early 60's.

Over those years what I have found in certain places is that secrecy can be a negative influence on the industry.

Part of it goes back to the old days, when at the finish of an apprenticeship a Plumber was given what is called "Full money".

In other words a person in their first year out of apprenticeship was given the same rate of pay as men who had been Plumbers for over twenty years.

In practise, what that could mean was that a each new Plumber was expected to know as much as a long time Plumber with a track record and years of experience.

As you can imagine, that could lead to all kinds of problems, some going to the point, that a team of Plumbers could be jealous of one another and make a show of anybody who did not know everything.

As can be imagined, it did not always lead to good working relationships, in point fighting could result.

It also meant, new guys where afraid to ask for advice off the more experienced Plumber and the more experienced Plumber did not see why he should share it with a person who was on the same money as him.
Perhaps feeling that if the new guy was on the same money as him he should know as much as him.

This often left new Plumbers isolated from their mates. Sometimes the feelings ran very high indeed and working in such teams could probably be exceedingly unpleasant.

However the grading system altered all that, and the older and more experienced Plumbers where paid more for their grade.

But a residual of these old practises seems to have hung on. I have worked with many young modern Plumbers and some find a willingness to share knowledge and production methods with one another extremely unusual, even today.

But the latest problems seem to come mostly from the bonus culture and the sometimes met feeling that an ACS certificate qualifies a person to the point they consider themselves to be on a par with a doctor or lawyer. Its not, a gas fitter is a blue collar manual a job in the past nobody wanted. Probably be the same now except trainers to sell courses probably promote it to much and tell of what seems a government inspired myth of fantastic earnings.

Working as an operative for a Plumbing gas company, soon brings you down to earth about any status you think you may have by holding any certificates. Even the office cats has usually got a sack full of ACS in these companies. So your nothing special. It could be a culture shock, I suppose for a self employed person accustomed to being treated as their own boss to work in one of these companies.

Today of course, if your in a company that works bonus and it seems nearly all do now. You will know that its usually the slowest Plumber that gets the sack first. Lets be honest bonus cuts out supervision time. If a Plumbers slow he doesn't suite, so fire them.

This, as I have said, can lead to cutting corners, I worked with a "cracking good" Plumber once, who I had worked with in a none bonus company, to find the standard of work they have done in a bonus company has dropped dramatically. I remarked about it to him, to be told "They don't care about me, so why should I care about their work?" An understandable result of the bonus culture perhaps, but one bad for the industry.

In short, in my experience, bonus can lead to bad workmanship. Which is bad for the industry.

Another aspect is, that once again Plumbers don't seem to want to help one another.

Simply because, if they are on bonus and the other Plumbers can do things faster than them, they are then the slowest Plumber and so the ones who will possibly get the sack first.

Imagine though if people shared their knowledge of how to do things fast? What levels of production could be reached by all the Plumbers not just the fastest?

Another negative aspect of secrecy is safety.

It is not read, that everybody knows everything, as a Plumber you should not be afraid to say "I don't know!" but many seem to be, in case they are thought incompetent both by their mates and the companies that employ them.

The result is they don't ask questions and so don't even know that sometimes they don't know things they should know.

Lets be honest, if you don't know something because nobody's told you about it, your hardly likely to go and find out are you?

You simply will not know you don't know.

And don't rely on ACS to test you on every aspect of safe gas working. An ACS is only a sort of random examination of your gas knowledge, not a full extensive one of every aspect of gas work.

Its aims is to make sure you work safely not to give you knowledge.

Its bit like learning lifeboat drill on a ship. It tells you nothing about how to sail, its just what to do if it starts to sink.

So we are all in an on going learning curve, the thing is, if we start being secretive we close that curve down.

Lets also be honest, secrecy probably occurs between companies and self employed as well. They may not want to help other companies they may see as competitors. Once again the industry, customers and safety can be the losers.

I feel all knowledge should be free, what people do with it is up to them.

If we make for a climate of friendly open relationships in the industry in which people are not as they sometimes seem to be, afraid of being "be littled" for not knowing and we develop a feeling of none rivalry open friendliness I feel sure the industry will prosper and be a far safer and better one to work in.

I hope that explains some of my attitudes and replies.

As I have said I see no harm in telling anybody the right or approved way to do anything. I am not in competition with them when it comes to safety, all I want is for them to work safely, DIYer, cowboy or tradesman.

If you want to break the law or work against safety advice that is entirely up to you. And no of course I don't want you too do any of those things. But I feel it would be unfair not to tell you how to do things properly as far as I can regardless of who you are.

Anyway, subject dropped now.

I see no harm it giving someone advice in any aspect of plumbing as there is no danger of physical harm occuring if someone gets it wrong,worst case scenario is damage to property and someone gets wet i doubt anyone is going to drown from a plumbing mistake
and plumbers are not regulated by an act of law ie the gas regs and a plumber cannot be prosecuted and possibly imprisoned for making a mistake
Gas fitting is a whole different kettle of fish
if we get it wrong someone could die and we could face prosecution and imprisonment
I fervently believe this is why we should not be telling people how to fix their fires/boiles water heaters not because i want to wrip them off but because it requires a competency to work on them and responsibility and accountability and like it or not the only person able to conclusively prove competency in the eyes of the law is a person who has undertaken and passed their acs and is recognised by the hse
anybody else if they get it wrong could kill someone and would never be able to prove competency and as such would be prosecuted
There is no secret society of gas fitters anyone can join there is a well established route to do so
Another factor to consider with a diyer if he causes a explosion/someone dies their household insurer i gaurantee will never pay out a penny its really simple
if you want to work on gas get your acs/public liability and of you go your legally covered
anyone else you are not legally covered
again its not a secret society and there is no conspiracy to hold information back its just that all gas fitters have a responsibility and as such most take it very seriously

Hi Bernie, I understand your view of the trade, as you say there were oppertunities to develop from apprentice, improver, plumber, charge hand, forman and contacts manager, etc. However it seems a bit of a free for all of late. Perhaps industrial and commercial work still have a system (i am out of the loop now) but domestic certainly does not. It seems that without this measuring stick structure, individuals diving into the self employed domestic market have no idea as the whether they are good, bad or indifferent. This in my opinion has lead to the public being cautious and it creates bad press for the industry. Addressing the short falls in such a broad trade is not as easy as that of gas. With gas there is a legal obligation and a book to go with it explaining the code of practice expected. Running a gas pipe is small beer when compared to plumbing / heating, coupled with the various materials / systems that are out there. I dread to think the size of a plumbing and heating manual covering all situations. Well i draw a pension now and feel i have had the best of it. But still have the need to rant once in a while. Good Luck

With regards to the plumbing mistakes aren't dangerous....what if someone fitted a valve on the vent pipe of a vented system or poorly fitted CWSC and had an overheat situation and the tank collapsed as has unfortunately happened in the past!!!

very good bernie, good post. i agree with much of what you say but the change has happened slowly over time but especially the last 6/7 years. it will calm down again and maybe swing the other way. give it 3 years and nobody will want to know plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to secrecy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock