Search the forum,

Discuss positioning the flue to condensing boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nigelP

can anyone please tell me if I can fit/extend the flue to a condensing boiler that is about 3 inches below the eaves so it terminates beyond the fascia board and gutter, thanks in advance

well i dont want to go over the same ground but fitting a flue should be completed by a gsr engineer which i would have to think you are clearly not

guess thats a no then nigel

Last edited by a moderator:
you shouldnt be extending the flue but you should be protecting the facia and gutters with a metal shield if they are too close as per mfis

Some mfi allow as close as 25mm to the eaves, to answer your original Q I dont see why not, it looks a bit gash but I dont see whats wrong with it if it gets you over a tight spot? can anybody tell me otherwise?

use an under balcony extn as provided by some mfrs, as you say looks sooooo bad, some rgis might even refuse to work on the result later on!!!

Some mfi allow as close as 25mm to the eaves, to answer your original Q I dont see why not, it looks a bit gash but I dont see whats wrong with it if it gets you over a tight spot? can anybody tell me otherwise?
ahhh!, no.

really? thought it was 300mm min from lowest point of eave or vent.

thanks for help. as mentioned im not corgi registered but will fit the boiler on the wall ready for commissioning ...which is why it must be in the right place to start off with. the internal space makes life very awkward.the reason i need it to extend beyond the gutter line is that about 3 inches to the left of the pipe is an old external brick flue which sticks out level with the facia and I am worried about wind turbulence i realise that i could put aluminium sheeting above the flue.is it for heat or condensation.Why would any service engineer refuse to work on it just because its sticks out it cant be anything to do with the length of flue otherwise there wouldn't
be extension kits.

thanks for help. as mentioned im not corgi registered but will fit the boiler on the wall ready for commissioning ...which is why it must be in the right place to start off with. the internal space makes life very awkward.the reason i need it to extend beyond the gutter line is that about 3 inches to the left of the pipe is an old external brick flue which sticks out level with the facia and I am worried about wind turbulence i realise that i could put aluminium sheeting above the flue.is it for heat or condensation.Why would any service engineer refuse to work on it just because its sticks out it cant be anything to do with the length of flue otherwise there wouldn't
be extension kits.

just because you can buy 100 x 1m flue extensions it doesnt mean you can fit them all on the one boiler. TBH you are a bit out of your depth, you are fitting the boiler and the gas guy is goint to connect it, right? if so your gas guy is off his head to save you a few quid on his labour he is willing to risk you not doing it right and him getting the blame. flue extensions need to be confirmed as suitable for external use, your gas guy needs to confirm with the manufacturer that it is allowed to fit an extension out past the normal finish position, it should be ok as the last 50-60mm is meant to be outside and they are all made of the same material but when you join 2 together inside the joint isnt exposed, when you join them outside can you guarantee that the seal will be ok

Gas safe reg have written a lovely technicl note describing what competent means etc and have warned all registered fitters of the consequences of going in after anyone and finishing off and commisioning a job. Of note how do you know if the boiler has been mounted in a safe and sturdy manner with the correct fixings. they dont even like non registered people connecting water pipework to the boiler!!!!! they especially hate people working on their own flues due to the risks involved. I did a service recently and replaced the flue as someone had cocked up the cutting down of the flue such that it wouldnt seal into the elbow safetly, ÂŁ100 for the customer to cough up. then i spent a long time tracing back the gas supply to ensure this was ok, luckily it was surface mounted back to the meter. still it only took 4 hours for me to be happy before i signed it off having commissioned it again (as if it had been done first time round) with a long proviso stating that all checks had been done to ensure safe operation of a boiler that had more than likely been installed by a non competent person. the customer coughed up a large sum, it was that or I issued an id immediately, I think he learned an expensive lesson,

i would like to see a lot more prosecutions and stiffer fines
i think its only manpower/resources stopping them

its proving who installed the appliance, whos going to own up when the gas safe guy turns up?

went to do a cp12 and instead of core cutter a grenade must have been used for flue hole as not sealed inside or out
condensate draining into a bowl
prv pipework internal
my guess not a gas safe engineer

ahhh!, no.

really? thought it was 300mm min from lowest point of eave or vent.
Vaillant and WB state 75mm from gutters, 200mm from eaves, 25 mm to soil pipes etc so I was nearly right..... ish :).

some people seem to think that they know more than they do it is not illegal to fit a boiler on the wall but it is illegal to connect up the gas pipes and gas flue. if you bothered to read my question you would have seen that i am trying to make sure that the positioning of the boiler is correct

Last edited by a moderator:
no mate what your doing is gas work simple we are not naive enough to think your just going to position the boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to positioning the flue to condensing boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good Afternoon Please can anyone confirm what the minimum distance the top of the flue pipe should be from the eaves and guttering if the flue is extended so the end of the flue is past the fascia and gutters and releases any gasses into the open air. I have an Intergas 28/24 combi boiler In...
Replies
Views
Hello, from South Devon. Firstly - I'm not a Gas Safe RGI. I'm considering my options to replace a 23 year old |Ideal Classic FanFare 50,000 kw open vent boiler which works OK but could well terminally fail and I want to be prepared (I'm thinking another fan, gas valve or PCB would be the last...
Replies
Views
T
Hey this is a message really for more experience gas fitter, I am newly in to the industry and things in a job do not sit right. Maybe you can help me. My friend had a extension built in replacement of his Lean to, I went around to visit yesterday and he is still having work done on the...
Replies
Views
S
Hello, I have had to replace my Vaillant 824/2E boiler as it was written off due to a leaking combustion door seal. It seems this was subject of some sort of recall but was only done if someone serviced the boiler. Even in their words they only...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
J
I say 'engineers' but is that actually true in the strictest sense of the word? I guess that depends on how you interpret the work of a Plumber but it's by the by. I'll put a disclaimer in here so as to not confuse some. I am not attempting a repair of my own, I am not a DiY enthusiast where...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock