Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss NCS - filling loop and electric cable, condensate discharge pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmonster

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've not seen this type of filing loop? is it an old type thingy or some form of improvisation?
also, the electric power cable seems to have a dodgy connection and is going behind the pipes...is this ok as i would personally never do that as it's next to pipes that become very very hot..

oh, and the condensate trap discharge pipe is what seems to be like from a washing machine

thank you.

(i'm working towards my ACS)

IMG_20140224_155108.jpg

The terminal strip is a shocker.... The quick fill looks ok as I presume the longer of the valves has a built in check valve.
Wire looks to be too close to the gas pipe(should be 25 mm +).
Where's the safety valve pipework?

What's a safety valve pipework?
Which If any unsafe situation would the wire be classified as?

I'd class the cable as NCS, but the terminal strip is shocking, should be wired properly or hidden in a junction box.
The safety valve pipework may also be known as the pressure relief valve pipework or safety blow off?

If the condensate hose is not the manufacturers proper hose then that's another score against it.

What boiler is it, as it looks a bit like a potterton.

the boiler is a Baxi combi 105he. these were discontinued back in 2007.

so if the wiring is NCS and the condensate trap too, does that mean it would equate to AR?

the boiler is a Baxi combi 105he. these were discontinued back in 2007.

so if the wiring is NCS and the condensate trap too, does that mean it would equate to AR?

No - Ncs no matter how many are just ncs

been a few years but 2 AR's on a open flued appliance is upgraded to id, that's the only time you 'add' them together to go to the next level. Somone please correct me if I'm wrong ;-(

Last edited by a moderator:

been a few years but 2 AR's on a open flued appliance is upgraded to id, that's the only time you 'add' them together to go to the next level. Some please correct me if I'm wrong ;-(

You are correct

There's no way I would walk out the door and leave that cable like that it would take 10 min to run a new cable from the spur back to the boiler
If the landlord agree to it of course otherwise I would id the boiler

can you classify something external from the boiler and its parts under the unsafe sitituations proceedure? or does it come under another part some other regulations

Last edited:

been a few years but 2 AR's on a open flued appliance is upgraded to id, that's the only time you 'add' them together to go to the next level. Somone please correct me if I'm wrong ;-(
You are incorrect.
Two or more NCS's relating to open flued appliance flue & ventilation may be upgraded to AR if you deem them serious enough. It is at your discretion.

There's no way I would walk out the door and leave that cable like that it would take 10 min to run a new cable from the spur back to the boiler
If the landlord agree to it of course otherwise I would id the boiler
Why would you ID this?

Would u leave a live cable exposed like that cause I wouldn't it's up to u at the end of the day .

You are incorrect.
Two or more NCS's relating to open flued appliance flue & ventilation may be upgraded to AR if you deem them serious enough. It is at your discretion.

I was always told 2 ncs on either flueing or ventilation would make it AR nothing about just on open flued.

Would u leave a live cable exposed like that cause I wouldn't it's up to u at the end of the day .

You advise the responsible person that there is an electrical fault that needs to be addressed urgently and put it on your paperwork. Its not a gas fault so you cant use gas unsafe procedures to turn off the boiler. If you are an electrician as well I would imagine you could through electrical regs.

anybody notice the weird looking joints on the flow and the gas? no way are they 22mm sockets

You advise the responsible person that there is an electrical fault that needs to be addressed urgently and put it on your paperwork. Its not a gas fault so you cant use gas unsafe procedures to turn off the boiler. If you are an electrician as well I would imagine you could through electrical regs.

Like I said its up to the person what u do
To be honest I would just put it right for the sake of a bit of cable before I left take 5 10 min and a clear conscience to boot

I was always told 2 ncs on either flueing or ventilation would make it AR nothing about just on open flued.
Are you going to AR a room sealed appliance for flue term too long, not sealed round wall and no terminal guard?
Unless anything has changed in 4 years from my last ACS applies to open flue flue and vent issues only.

Are you going to AR a room sealed appliance for flue term too long, not sealed round wall and no terminal guard?
Unless anything has changed in 4 years from my last ACS applies to open flue flue and vent issues only.

It is still at your discretion. I resat mine 2 years ago and I spoke to the gas safe bloke about it as my thing was no terminal guard and flue hole not sealed so how can I AR that and thats when he said about your discretion.

It is still at your discretion. I resat mine 2 years ago and I spoke to the gas safe bloke about it as my thing was no terminal guard and flue hole not sealed so how can I AR that and thats when he said about your discretion.
I would be AR'ing every other boiler if this applied to room sealed.
The discretionary multi NCS elevated to AR applies to open flue only as a number of flue & vent NCS's may amount to something more dangerous.
If I am incorrect I really need to back to basics.

I would be AR'ing every other boiler if this applied to room sealed.
The discretionary multi NCS elevated to AR applies to open flue only as a number of flue & vent NCS's may amount to something more dangerous.
If I am incorrect I really need to back to basics.

Seems I was wrong just double checked.

You really had me starting to doubt myself for a second.:wink5:

I might have to change my training center and get my gas safe inspector sacked as both of them have told me that 2 ncs make an AR (With discretion)

Although if you came across a room sealed flue terminal which was too close to an internal corner and too close to an opening. The day you test it and do a room CO its a still day and has no problem passes all tests, You know that with even the slightest wind in the correct direction that it will fail badly but on that day it passes that then would have to be 2x NCS would be a pass? To me it should be any flue as all boilers have the potential to kill if installed incorrectly or in a bad state.

I might have to change my training center and get my gas safe inspector sacked as both of them have told me that 2 ncs make an AR (With discretion)

Although if you came across a room sealed flue terminal which was too close to an internal corner and too close to an opening. The day you test it and do a room CO its a still day and has no problem passes all tests, You know that with even the slightest wind in the correct direction that it will fail badly but on that day it passes that then would have to be 2x NCS would be a pass? To me it should be any flue as all boilers have the potential to kill if installed incorrectly or in a bad state.

Haha don't sack anyone, listen and understand the regs, there has never been a directive to count two or more NCS on a RS appliance as AR, NEVER
it has only ever applied to OF appliances where the NCS are linked/related, the best example being a vent fault and a flue fault
Conversely if you have an OF boiler with a vent fault and a 13amp fuse in the spur don't make the boiler AR because the NCS's aren't going to affect the way the other one performs

So a RS boiler with a clip missing from a flue extension and and undersized compartment vent would make this RS boiler AR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NCS - filling loop and electric cable, condensate discharge pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, I have a problem with an airlock forming every time the overhead tank becomes empty. Even when I fill the overhead tank to the brim...
Replies
Views
Hi! I've been chasing the smell under our stairs/cellar for so long and have had many things fixed one by one, the smell still remains, next...
Replies
Views
Jeff the lonesome
J
hi, I’m wondering, is this cable safe to be going around the very hot copper pipe as it is and is the white pipe okay pressed against the isolator...
Replies
Views
Hello! DIY noob hear asking for advice on a leak from an air break. My undersink plumbing is a mess of pipes handling washing machine...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock